Yonex BG 66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Badominton, Sep 19, 2010.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    TH used to have his racket strung at 32lbs with bg66 ultimax.

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'm currently playing a MX60 with 66U at 25lbs. I really love the way it transitions from the power game to the touch game, but for some shots for some reason it feels a bit 'soft' - it feels like it's much lower than 25lbs.

I'm surprised to read that some people think that over 26lbs kills the life expectancy of the string, as I was hoping that the 66U had similar characteristics to VS850, but with better tension holding.

So how are you stringing your rackets with 66U? Would 25x26lbs still give a decent life-expectancy?

3. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

About a month ago I bought a Voltric 80 strung with BG66UM (JP) @ 25lbs and I think that the tension holds longer than the SP version.

4. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I've recently gone back to the 66UM, but unfortunately it broke again during a tournament where perhaps my BG80s havent. I must say I find the power on them too irresisting now, even with the lesser durability they provided a wonderful feel and power to my game.

5. drew tze en

I agree with you, although I would play with BG66 as this string is more durable but not as repulsive
    I would really like to try BG66 Maxima as it is in between BG66 and BG66UM.
    Another problem with BG66UM is that it loses tension within 2-3 weeks after re-stringing.

6. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

Maxima is never an in between of BG66 and BG66UM. It is simply a marshmallowed version of BG66UM with the same qualities.

7. drew tze en

Oh I see but is it better than the BG66UM in terms of its durability and better than the BG66 with repulsion ?

8. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

Its up to each individual's preference. I have tried JP coded 66UM , it does not feel right for me compared to 66M , it seems that they are simply 2 different strings.

Ants has ever commented that 66UM is just an improved BG66.

66M is softer than 66M , more repulsive , more suited for control players.

66UM however feels harder , thus less repulsive , more suited for hard hitters.

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Really? I find 66U to be quite soft feeling - so much so I'm not stringing at my usual 24lbs but instead 26lbs - even though it's a .66 string and I usually use .67-8 which means that it should feel and sound a little tighter at the same tension. In fact, the thing I like about 66U is the touch and feel at the net. I think there are more repulsive strings at my preferred tension, but none of them have the mix of repulsion and touch.

If it holds tension over the next couple of weeks, 66U might just be my go-to.

10. Ah_Peng

Ah_Peng Regular Member

66UM is actually 0.65mm same as 66M , 66UM is an improvement of 66 coz of the better feel n durability.
    However 66UM has this dead feel after sometime , i have a friend who uses 66UM , break strings regularly , the string will break b4 the dead feel kicks in. Thus 66UM is best during the lively period , either u break strings b4 the dead period or u dun mind cutting it n stringing again. NBG98 might be a better choice @ tension holding.
    I recently tried BG85 n my stringer advised me to string 1lbs lower as its a harder feel string. Not bcoz its 0.67mm , or rather the feel of the string.
    Softer feel string needs to string slightly higher n harder feel slightly softer.
    Certain strings loses tension fast like 66 Sharp hence have to string 1 lbs higher to compensate.

If the touch n feel of 66UM is what u like , i would strongly encourage u to try 66M.
    For me i would generally restring after 2 months even the string hasn't break yet.
    I'm a lazy player during games , not hard hitter kind , playing ard 4 hrs(game time)/week.
    Hope this helps u gauge how long 66M can lasts u.

Thanks. :D

11. drew tze en

Within 2 months my BG66/UM would have broken by then as most of my other strings :)
    as I am a hard hitter usually at the back of the court in Doubles :)

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I have a leftover packet of JP BG66Maxima here, but I last had this string @ 25lbs on a BS10 and didn't like the combo. Might be worth having a go with it on the Kasons though as they play a bit softer and aren't as stiff.

I don't break strings so durability isn't an issue for me.

13. kkwm83

kkwm83 Regular Member

Part time online badminton products seller
    Same here, tried BG66M (27lbs) before and it was TOO bouncy for me.
    Possibly because it is very repulsive + soft feeling type of string.
    BG66UM felt ok but I dont really like the fast dropping tension problem.

Currently very satisfy with my BG80P.
    (I seldom break strings too :p)

14. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Seems like every string I like drops tension after a few weeks! BG66U, VS850.......

15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    yeah, it is very normal, especially for those hard hitters at the back. We will normally cut the string after it has a dead feeling...

I agree with kkwm83, BG66M is too bouncy did not provide stable control at the net..
    I will try BG66Ultimax & BG80Power really soon...

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    NBG98 is much better in retaining tension.

17. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah but 95 feels like poo so I doubt 98 is any better.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to me they feel like complete different strings. nbg98@25+lbs feels really powerful. but don't go over 28lbs as it starts to feel dead.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Not ZM67... ;)

20. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

Lotsa differing opinions over BG66UM and BG66M. I have used BG66UM and BG66M JP extensively and this is my opinion:

Power: BG66UM = BG66M
    Repulsion: BG66UM = BG66M (I feel that the softer nature of Maxima is more forgiving but this is entirely up to the individual)
    Durability: BG66M >= BG66UM
    Hitting Sound: BG66UM = BG66M
    Shock Absorption: BG66M > BG66UM
    Control: BG66UM > BG66M
    Feel: BG66UM is considered medium feeling but i feel that is softer than BG66 but harder than BG66M, BG68Ti, BG65. I would say BG66M is bouncier than BG66UM
    Tension Retention: BG66M = BG66UM
    Price: Ultimax is cheaper :)

In the eyes of Yonex, the rating scales suggest that BG66M is on par with BG66UM on every aspect except a much inferior control stat. Possibly due to the softness/bounciness. I find that basically they are the same, just that BG66M is meant for players who like a easier and softer string and it is slightly more durable. I can play with all kinds of hard soft trampoline kinda strings but Maxima seems like a natural gut that got drenched in my sweat :)

Fot those who knows me, i am a brainless brute force missile launcher and my BG66UM can last 2 months. I guess grommets plays a very important part especially for thin strings. I have to confess that i ve done string jobs for guys who want it back immediately and i ve no time to process the disfigured grommets and the 24LB job only last for 2 weeks.

#200 istringforyou, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012