Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Well all in all, does it mean that the pent-up frustration over the inadequacies of PBSI is much greater than that is happening in Malaysia, therefore not providing enough momentum of change yet in BAM? What is the driving force of change actually? The people outside BAM or inside? Or is it both as in Indonesia's case?

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    A wake up call from Han Jian long ago

In his effort to paint a picture clearly Han Jian quotes Yang Yang also:" Just like the metaphor mentioned by Yang Yang; Malaysia have the utensil, chefs but no ingredients. But there are some defects with this group of chefs (coaches) too."

In addition Han Jian added:" The defects are BAM reserve all the best resources and coaches in the national team and does not look afar the grass root level. As a result, the best chefs could not cook properly because their helpers could not provide them with good ingredients (players).

" For example, the coaching and training committee (CTC) only talks about the thing in national team (elite players). However, you are committee members who are suppose to oversee the operation of the work and training of the whole nation and not only supervise the coaches and players in the national team alone. I rarely seen any of these CTC members appearing in inter-states tournaments to collect information and give instructions to the state badminton associations. Don't you think that this is ridiculous?"

Also: “However, everyone is profit driven these days, they only see the short term benefits. In order to train the players up quick, they use the short cut to train their players. However, as mentioned, these training methods are only good for short term, as the players do not have a proper techniques, they are unable to meet the standard of national team. Although the parents are happy with their children results in the local tournaments, these players will not go far in the future.”

Need we say more to make this any clearer: “Sometimes the national team does not necessary only want a champion. What they want is to see is some potential in these young players. As such, the governing body should give a clear instruction, telling the local coaches what sort of players they need. If a local coach is able to produce such players, reward such be given to that coach.”
    “There are also a lot of restrictions in the region tournaments in every state. For example, some players are not allowed to participate certain tournaments; the other tournaments have a limit on the number of participants. Even if you are able to nurture good players who meet the national team requirement, those players will be snatched away by the national team without any form of appreciation. Sometimes, the local coaches will feel frustrated because of that.”

3. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Actually that's not the reason

and don't think this is the right place to expose him.

Lets just say its personal reason :D

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Flexible Cheh Chang game for the challenge at sports school

The Star
    Friday January 11, 2013
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/1/11/sports/12561311&sec=sports

Excerpts:

...“I’m used to all these changes. I’m flexible. Perhaps BAM see me as someone who can make changes over a short period of time and keep moving me whenever there is a pressing need. I’m okay with it,” said Cheh Chang, who took over the vacant spot at BJSS after Yap Kim Hock’s contract was not renewed by BAM.

“Ironically, I started my coaching career as an assistant to Kim Hock at the BJSS in 2002. Kien Keat was one of the juniors under our care. I’ve come a full circle,” said Cheh Chang.

“I think I’ve coached every department in the national team – all on short-term basis.”

...“Finally, I was made the head of the women’s and mixed doubles department in 2011. But it all changed when Koo and Tan made a request for me to coach them,” he said.

...“This is only my sixth day at work with the BJSS team. I’m still trying to familiarise myself with the players and assess their strengths and weaknesses. Eventually, I hope to prepare a good team for the Asian and World junior championships this year.”

5. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

OH~ is it? Mind sharing some info through PM? hehehe.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online >
    Sunday January 13, 2013
    Restore fairplay and justice in badmintonCOMMENT
    By RAJES PAUL
    IF

YOUR badminton skills are good, you can go far in the sport. If they aren’t so good, well, it helps if you know someone high up.
    Take the case of the recent Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS)-Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) selection trial.Three ambitious state shuttlers – Kelvin Ng, Wong Wai Jun and Mohd Datu – came to Kuala Lumpur for the selection trial – with a lot of excitement and high hopes.All they wanted was to be considered for the Form Four class intake and the chance to play badminton as there were several spots available.It was a fair trial. They had all the skills but, unfortunately, there were others better than them. The trio did not make the cut. And, naturally, they were sad.But what was shocking was that a player who finished below them – in last place, in fact – has been given a place in the school.Now, how about that. Well, nothing really surprises one in Malaysia Boleh-land anymore, right?So, how did the boy get in? And who allowed it to happen?Was it the fault of BJSS?Not in this case. To be fair, BJSS did everything by the book. In fact, they did an excellent job in partnership with BAM to select the best players for their Form One intake this year – all on merit.

Was it BAM’s fault then?
    Apparently, the BAM too are equally innocent.Well, that leaves us with not much of a choice, does it?Who can be more influential than the coaches and officials from BJSS and BAM?

it someone from the Youth and Sports Ministry or the Education Ministry, then?
    Or did the boy’s parents have some connection higher up?
    How many times have we repeatedly told aspiring youngsters that there is no shortcut to success.But this one boy has managed to get into the BJSS thinking that shortcut exists – and it works. He’ll probably grow up thinking that abuse of power, money and influence can sway decisions your way.What a wrong way to educate a child. Poor thing!

Badminton is not the only sport suffering from this malaise we Malaysians like to call “pulling cable”.
    Football, hockey, athletics, gymnastics, netball and, well, just about any other sport for that matter face the same problem.So what can we do to restore fairplay and justice in sport?Education is one way.Standing up for one right’s is another.Or, we can also hope and pray that the people in power will have the conscience to do the right thing.

As for Kelvin, Wai Jun and Datu – my message to them is:
    “Keep your chin up, boys. Be proud that you’ve tried and failed. Don’t give up and continue to harness your skills.“Be glad that your parents did not ‘force’ the school to take you in.
    “Even if you do not make it as a successful badminton player, it’s all right. You are already a success – as a person – for doing the right thing. That’ll stand you in good stead in life.”

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/1/13/sports/12568037&sec=sports

Wow, Rajes Paul dare to shoot2 so direct:D

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    this always happen.
    not the 1st time.
    and never end.

8. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

Lets hope that Rajes got her facts right.. This is not the first time she is wrong.

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm,sudirman cup was a main target for bam since long time ago.
    mostly we playing in 2nd division.

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Paulus Firman was the Assistant Coach of WD in PBSI until late 2012. He was also the coach accompanying the WD pair during the Olympics fiasco and was subsequently "fined" together with the players as well.

Now, WD is revamped with the ex Head-Coach (Aryono Minarat) moving to MD to help Herry IP. Reony Mainaky will be the Head-Coach in WD.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: China’s Li Mao is back in Malaysia as a coach but he is not with former employers the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).Li Mao has joined the New Vision badminton club in Petaling Jaya and he will be working with the top shuttlers from the centre, co-owned by former internationals Yeoh Kay Bin and K. Yogendran.The no-nonsense Li Mao is a good catch. Under his guidance from 2005-2010, the current world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei showed marked improvement in his skills and tactical game.In fact, it was during this time that Chong Wei narrowed the gap on his nemesis Lin Dan of China.After leaving Malaysia, Li Mao went to South Korea and improved the standard of their men’s singles players.Then in 2011, he was appointed as a coach in Indonesia.He, however, failed to lift the standard there and his contract was not renewed after the London Olympic Games.Kay Bin said Li Mao’s appointment was made possible by Kawasaki, the club’s sponsor.“This is good for the club as we have a very high calibre coach. He will be coaching our top players and help raise their standard,” added Kay Bin, who is also one of the coaches at the club with Yogendran.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/1/14/sports/12571958&sec=sports

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Quote : He will be coaching our top players and help raise their standard,” added Kay Bin, who is also one of the coaches at the club with Yogendran. Unquote.

Who are their top players?

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yogendran and kay bin :)

14. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Aah yes, Rajes and Dhaliwal, 2 of my favorite shoot straight and don't beat about the bush-writers.

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    How i wish there is a COMMENT column there :D

16. maxout

maxout Regular Member

hahahaa .... good one !! :D

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    China coach Yongbo backs Malaysian for BWF president post

By RAJES PAUL
    Tuesday January 15, 2013
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2013/1/15/sports/12575862&sec=sports

Excerpts:

...Yesterday, the 50-year-old Yongbo, who is here for the Maybank Malaysian Open, said Nadzmi could make a difference to the sport with his experience and passion for the game.

...“Nadzmi is a good choice. He has the clout and credentials to increase the popularity of the sport to a wider base. I believe he can also improve the hectic schedule in world badminton.

“He has been in the badminton circle for many years and is supportive of the game,” said Yongbo, after playing a round of golf at the Tropicana Golf and Country Resort here yesterday.

“Our sport has the potential to be popular beyond the Asian and European region and we need to aggressively promote it.”

Yongbo said he had a bone of contention over the hectic tournament calendar and hoped to see the new president change the structure.

“There are just too many tournaments. We need to cut it down. I would suggest that we limit the number of competitions and increase the prize money. Better income will surely widen the participation of the players and motivate them even more,” he said.

The former Chinese maestro said the busy calendar was a major cause to early retirements and withdrawals involving Chinese players.

...“We do not have any agenda behind our players’ retirements or withdrawals. They are sick and sometimes they carry injuries. In Super Series Premier events, all the top 10 players have to compete and most of our players are in the top 10. They have to travel and compete on a regular basis in so many tournaments,” said Yongbo.

“Sometimes, we pull them out even if there is a slight pain because we know if they push themselves, they can aggravate the injury. What can we do if the players do not feel comfortable to play? Most of the times, our action is misunderstood.

“Unless the tournament calendar is reviewed or changed, this cycle will only continue.”

When asked why he did not throw in his hat for BWF president post with his years of experience as a player, coach and administrator for almost three decades, Yongbo said: “I still enjoy spending time with the China team. They still need my services and there is still a lot to be done. I may consider it when I retire from the post as head coach. But then, one does not have to be a president to contribute. I will do my best to promote the game through the China team.”

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha!nadzmi is a good choice
    he know how to earn more money.
    badminton?what is badminton?hahahahahhahaha

19. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

gemini12, Where and when did she gave wrong facts/reports?

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Seriously, yogendran is still good in singles ! Don't play play :)