[Stats] The Strongest MD Team Currently!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by narnia, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Then..^^

..the conclusion is their winning percentage in the Finals Rd is yes, 0 %.
    However, we don't know if their 8 different opponents are ranked in the top 10 or not. narnia was illustrating/giving datas comparing the top 10 MD pairs' head-to-head records.

2. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Okay, thanks for the many comments.

In short, in the master table, I decided to remove AC/NR as they are a new partnership not in top 10 in BWF, and Fuzzy as they are not qualified with too low winning % of around 20% against the Tops. Esp. Fuzzy could get some titles with BWF points when many other top players did not participate in the tourneys after Olympics. MK/HS also got some titles at the time to keep their current BWF ranking. (In fact, the BWF ranking doesn't tell us who's the real strongest team among the strongest. It's only based on the titles.)

Anyway, it's come down to 6 top teams. Please note that no other official BWF team currently playing has more than 20% of winning % against these 6 teams. These 6 teams are current tops.

H2H of Top MDs.jpg
    (SSF8: Super Series Finals 2008)

Let's check the status again among the Tops;

- JJS/LYD still has the winning % of 72% against the other top 5 MD teams.
    - FHF/CY has 60% with not sufficient matches. (they had some split times in 2008.)
    - MK/HS has 50%, the only team they never beaten is JJS/LYD for the period.
    - KKK/TBH had the most number of matches (19) but didn't win even half of them.

Enjoy~ :)

#22 narnia, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  3. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Sorry, Updated again. (JJS/LYD's MAS9 was double counted.)

H2H_6 of Top MDs.jpg

4. narnia

narnia Regular Member

The stats counted all matches ever played actually.

5. narnia

narnia Regular Member

No, that could be called as "title-achieving" %, which doesn't reflect how strong they are.

If Team A had landed in the finals it must have beaten some Top teams. I counted this stats and call it Winning % against the other Top teams.

In short, I'm choosing "relative measure" among the top players to assess who's the strongest MD team.

6. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Kinda surprised me that Fuzzy pair were included in this statistic. :D

#26 haifeng4ever, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Yeah, I was thinking over that, too. So, in the updated table, I omitted the pair and AC/NR.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Can i order 2 more requests, narnia??..

..and they are:
    - Could you provide head-to-head stats between those pairs that were ranked in the top 10 @ the end of 2008?
    - Could you provide overall win-loss records for each of those pairs that were ranked in the top 10 @ the end of 2008?
    I'm looking for their stats just for the yr 2008, no more & no less.
    Thanks in advance..:)

9. narnia

narnia Regular Member

You can just count what you want to see in the master table. 8 means 2008.
    As I discussed, to know the strongest, 6 teams are enough; the other 4 are just so and so less than 20% of winning % against the other tops. They're not actually tops despite the BWF ranking; that's why I asked you to check the ranking system line by line; only when you correctly understand the ranking system you can know why they're ranked in top 10 even though they are not that strong. :)

#29 narnia, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  10. Siegfried_Li

Siegfried_Li Regular Member

Science
    Based on this approach, JJS is quite strong (also I think he is pretty good) and LYD is a minor factor, as LYD/SBC lost to MB/CM thus have a 0-1 record. On the other hand, the records for CY/XC are 1-0 over KKK/TBH, 1-0 over LP/JR and 0-2 to MK/HS, for FHF/SY 2-0 over MB/CM, 1-0 over NR/AC, 1-0 over LP/JR and 0-1 to MK/HS (CY/XC 1-0 FHF/SY). FHF looks so strong...

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

In that case, Fu Haifeng/Shen Ye's record over the top 6 pairs is 3-1 (75%).

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- Why the top 6 only? Why not top 5 only? Or top 3 only?:confused:
    - I'd like to "read/check more of what's in the ranking system line by line" if you can pin-point me to a link where i can read it.:cool:
    My only hunch on why the other 4 pairs are in the top 10 is because they played in more tourneys than those pairs outside of the top 10 or even the other top 6 pairs.
    - My request was to accommodate others' queries about the overall win-loss record from each of the top 10 pairs; showing total wins or losses accummulated over 2008. But if you feel it's not necessary, then we understand.:cool:

13. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Cool. Any possibility they will prove their consistent strength by pairing in more tourneys in the future?

14. narnia

narnia Regular Member

- The top 6 teams are very well known as actual top players; they proved it by many tourneys and they have always positioned in the top seeds. As mentioned before, the Fuzzy team ranked in #7 has only 20% of winning % against the top 6, which means the other low-ranked teams have less % or they had not have enough matches against the top 6 to be considered. Top 5 or 3 could be alternatives but the 6 teams are well established and proven teams to be considered.

- Here is the link; Part III, Section 1, Appendix 6
    http://www.internationalbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=10513

- You can check the other stats using the master table.

Enjoy! :)

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Already read it but still lost..

..thank you for the link. I read through it once and i skimmed through it again. But i still have no clue what in the world do we still need to know abt the ranking system? :confused:
    Sorry, but do you mind just explaining it to us??:confused:

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Come on Chris, I am sure u understand what our resident KOR fan here is trying to say ;) In fact, he has mentioned it several times in his ealier posts :eek:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I have no clue..^^

..what "line by line ranking system rules" are there that i've missed??..:confused:
    "domination"?? what does that have got to do w/the "line by line ranking system rules"??..:confused:

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Line by line -- meaning u have to look at the number of tournaments that each top 10 pair participates in "line by line" so that you wiill "understand why they're ranked in top 10 even though they are not that strong." :)

I believe our resident KOR fan here is once again trying to emphasize that despite being ranked at no 5 in the WR table right now, Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae is in fact the STRONGEST and MOST DOMINANT MD pair right now, as looking at the rankings line by line and in particular the number of tourneys, you will discover that Jung/Lee in fact participate in 8 tourneys only, as compared to those above them (all have 10) ;)

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Or in other words:
    No 1 in the World = Current World and Olympics Champions --> 10 tourneys --> inferior head-to-head stats --> NOT DOMINANT.

No 5 in the World = World Championships Runner-Up + First-Round Exit at Olympics (not important at all!) --> 8 tourneys only --> by far the BEST head-to-head-stats (this is by far the most important thing that we should be looking at) --> the MOST DOMINANT PAIR IN THE WORLD!

20. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Told you, the method used already different.
    How can compare? :eek: