Tang Xianhu - The Thing (Is He The Greatest Ever?)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Sep 11, 2007.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Made for a good read. Good job finding it. :)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thank you, kind sir!

3. viver

viver Regular Member

I was referring to the interview Tang Xinfu conceded to TV, where he stated that in Indonesia he was a player of average standard and the training in China enable him to rise and reach the top of a international level player.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I shall let others to give more info about TXH

Thanks cobalt. I shall let others to give more info about TXH.

Perhaps, I shall just treasure my meeting with TXH by myself. I am certain TXH would be laughing at our conversations if he knew about it.

But I shall respect TXH because I have learnt much from him (as from what I have learnt from his coaching methods). It was all about coaching, not about playing

BTW, regarding TXH as a player, I am not convinced he was the best (at his tournament time); I am still a fan of Rudy Hartono, Tan Yee Khan, Tan Aik Huang, Darmadi, etc, etc, ...

I was playing many games with Darmadi when he moved to Australia. Although Darmadi wasn't interested in coaching, but while I played with him, I learnt many things from him.

I have been coaching for 30 years now, and I am still learning. ;););)

The last few top coaches that I have met was at our 2006 Commonwealth Games (in Melbourne). Learnt a few things from Li Mao (for Singles) and Rexy Mainaky (for Doubles).

Now, don't ask me what they have taught me. Hehehe :D:D:D

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I don't understand the language, but if what you say is a fact, then it presents an interesting conundrum:

I had the impression from all I have read, that China badminton (pro/international) really took off after TXH, Hua and possibly other expats from the islands relocated to China. But here we have TXH stating that he fulfilled his potential after going to China, because of the training there? At the same time, the newspapers in Singapore/Malaysia at the time (late 50's) were already singing his praises as a young Indonesian player of great promise and talent.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My view is that while The Thing has made his contribution to badminton as player and coach mainly in China and Indonesia, such contributions were hardly made known to the outside world. It could be because of the language barrier and more particularly the adverse political relations between China and Indonesia during the period when The Thing was showing his prowess as a talented player in Indonesia. It seems subsequent political events drove him to take refuge in China.

From the information gathered here, I am surprised to learn that The Thing even lost to Malaysia's Tan Yee Khan, who is better known as a doubles player with Ng Boon Bee. At 19, Yee Khan was 3 years older than The Thing then.

As China remained a communist country shunned by mainly the western world, The Thing did not have a chance to participate in the All-England to give another chance to witness his playing abilities. He would then perhaps be able to cross swords with the great Rudy Hartono of Indonesia, who was younger.

The Thing's coaching abilities were also hardly documented, except for bits of information provided by BC members who have interacted with or heard stories about him. But he caught the limelight when it was discovered that he is the man behind Lin Dan's phenomenal success.

For such a successful player like Lin Dan to completely pay respect to his master is no ordinary gesture. As I've said before, when the Thing was around to support LD during the Jarkarta Thomas Cup, LD's confidence level soared. There seemed to be a telepathic understanding between the two and invariably LD would prevail over his opponent.

But whether The Thing is considered the greatest coach is left to be seen. There have been tremendous changes and advancement in the game of badminton since The Thing's time. The future will even be more exciting when coaches will look to sports science in a greater ernest and apply coaching methods not available decades ago.

But I think The Thing has left behind a legacy that when the mind is willing, that itself is a most lethal weapon.

That was the weapon that Lin Dan has inherited from Master Tang XF.

#106 Loh, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i found a 3-hour long demonstration of 1990 with footage from TXH and Hou...

ed2k://|file|[海T兄提供]08.12.13.1990国家体委羽毛球教学大纲配套视频.avi|1037999232|66728510B13C230BCB4DA643CD1B5B2A|h=46BDLQZLABVG7DKJHYAFM275T4D5MU74|/

8. viver

viver Regular Member

You know, it's difficult to trust for anybody posting here. My Mandarin is not that good, it's not my first language though I have learned under a teacher from the Beijing Language institute on 1 year program. Knowing the complexities of the Chinese language, I wouldn't call myself an expert just for studying it for 1 year.

China was not a badminton powerhouse in the 60's, I heard. Some former Indonesian Chinese who returned to China spent considerable time researching, came up with the principles and developed the training methodologies that characterized the then Chinese school of badminton. My understanding is that Tang Xinfu was among the first ones to undergo such training and he also contributed with his input on technical and tactical to improve the game of badminton.

Don't take my word for it. You can watch the badminton videos of Indonesian players before 1986, compare with those of late 80's and 90's and reach your own conclusion. You may also compare the way the Chinese players played in the 80's or earlier.

9. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Thing Hien Hiow really did make an impression when he toured Malaya in the late 50s with the Straight Times sport editor singing his praises. The editor and o some senior Malayan players Thing played against were of the opinion he was some body to watch out for.

But inexperienced Thing lost to Tan Yee Khan (who was an aspiring junior Single player then) and Billy Ng (another junior) in the junior tournament.

Fast forward to mid 60s GAPENA games, the same editor heard of China's prowess and saw that the same boy has grown up and even more impressive.

The editor ask Tan Aik Huang later whether he would be concern with losing to such a player and Aik Huang answered that he might as well hang up his racket if he is supposed to be scared of such a player.

The editor concluded that Aik Huang would not be able to get 5 points off THing.

10. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Apart from Thing's deft touches, smashes and overall skills in the game. According to Thing the difference between him , How and the top players from INA or Denmark was that He and How were full time professionals eat , drink sleep badminton and physical training everyday under Soviet style regiment.

The others were either amateurs or semi-professionals. It was the physical conditioning that made the big difference in their game against the rest of the world.

11. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Reference on Thing's junior exploit can be found from The National Library of Singapore website and the available straight times clippings. Very riveting read.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Care to translate? At least the more interesting parts?

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    it seems every single sentence is worth translating..

i wish someone would translate it for us all.... i can hardly read it myself (ie, extremely slow).

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I tried that link; it's in a foreign language! :crying:

If you could kinda point me to the hieroglyphs to click on to download the document (BTW is it a pdf?) then I can try to find someone who can help me with translating. No promises though, but heck, I'll try! :D

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    whyau showed me how a few days ago... i didn't know b4.. let me find whyau's post... it's pdf..

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let that link explains it

Yes, thanks to pcll99. :):):)

I don't need to be criticised any more in my postings, but let that link explains it for me.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not to criticise, but just a little help that after the word "let" the verb that follows should be in the plural form "explain" instead of "explainS". :D:D:D

EG: Please let that cute lady help me play good badminton. :)