losing tension but ended up better

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by phahrenheit, Apr 28, 2013.

1. phahrenheit

phahrenheit Regular Member

Hi guys,

I am using carbonex 8 flexible shaft sp limited racket and the string is Yonex BG68Ti
    I told the stringer to string at 24 lbs, initially the feeling is weird, like not seasoned, but as time goes by, the tension drops and i feel that it is better.
    So, in the future, should i tell the stringer to string it to 23 lbs instead?

Another question, i have recently gotten myself a Carbonex 21 sp (slim shaft), i used the same string, which is BG 68Ti, at 24 lbs, is it suitable, based on my situation above?
    now the feeling is weird again, is it because the tension hasn't dropped yet (not seasoned)? or the string not suitable. It's like it is less powerful than the carbonex 8 above. if i am using the same strength, the birdie will travel further and has better hitting sound when i am using the carbonex 8 above. I thought carbonex 21 should be in the stiff and more powerful one.

can anyone advice?
    thanks

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

The outcome from both of these 2 racket occur simply because both the racket has different shaft stiffness. From your judgement, you've already found out that when your racket tension has decreased below the initial stringing spec, you're able to upload more distance in your hits and better hitting sound. Why does this happens?

Such outcome occur since at your style of play and technique,
    - Your string tension that is < 24lbs has able to produce more repulsion force while contacting the birdie hence more kinetic energy to propel the birdie.
    - The mush flexible shaft of the Cab 8 also has managed to provide additional kinetic force in your hits through it's snapping effect when making a contact.
    - The better hitting sound occur since you've able to make a optimal contact while hitting those birdie at the racket sweet pot thus producing a solid hit thus better hitting sound. Such solid hit will only occur if the timing of those hits from your swing speed match perfectly with the racket shaft flexibility.

I recommend you try to string at 23 lbs first afterwards and make a +1 /-1 lbs adjustment by evaluating your hitting outcome with Cab 8.

When you use a more stiffer shaft (Cab 21), you've realize that most of your hit is less powerful even you've using a same stringing spec and style of play. This occur simply because the timing of your racket head contact with the birdie has shifted most likely more earlier thus producing a far lesser solid contact. You must realize that regardless of whatever stiffness of that racket is, it will NOT produce the power in any of your hits unless your swing speed proportionally match with the racket shaft stiffness thus producing a sold contact. If your swing speed is slow and you're using a flexible racket, the power generated from that contact is far better comparing to a stiffer racket.

SS

3. phahrenheit

Hi SS,

Thank you for taking the time to read and answered my questions. I have more or less got what you mean. haha.

Just to recap and for more advice,

So since my Cab 21 is stiff, i should lower my tension, i was planning on around 22-23 lbs.
    And since i will be restringing, should i change my string?
    Read online that some string (soft -medium feeling type) can provide longer contact time with the shuttle. My current BG68 Ti is smooth, right.
    Therefore, I have narrowed down to BG65, BG85, Nanogy 99 or even BG 66?

What is your take on my selection?

thanks

Johannes

4. rataisind

rataisind New Member

Trainer
    Shaft Stiffness

Hi,
    Interesting analysis.
    I like your explanation regarding shaft stiffness and its relation to power. This is exactly the same as in a Golf Club shaft.
    For older golfers and ladies, the swing speed is slower and they need a flexi shaft to generate good distance. Give a stiff shaft to them and distance is reduced significantly, and give a flexi shaft to a professional, they loose control on ball flight

As in golf, timing is everything for a solid impact and consistency.

Cheers
    Wesley

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi,

Since you have an idea of what suitable tension value that you should use, as far as what type of brand that you will choose, the approach will be similarly the same that is theoretically, by evaluating the quality of all your hits with all of those listed brand using the same racket physical specification when testing or playing.

I've been using BG66 for many decades now and it's the only brand that suits perfectly with me. At certain point of time, I've wondering what will be the replacement IF Yonex stop producing it and then i started trying and tested numerous brand ranging from Zymax to BG66 Ultimax this many, many years while playing, coaching and participating in tournaments. At the end, it's still BG66 that managed to facilitate satisfactory outcome in all my hits but importantly, it also significantly manage to give that confident and convincing "feeling" in all my hits as well as a comfort set of mind that this is still the right brand to use. I can recommend you to use BG66 but it would not necessarily be the suitable string brand for you since we have different physical attributes and style of play.

As far as lowering the tension < 24 lbs and referring this on how it will affect the outcome in all your hits, this would NOT necessarily produce a better outcome as far as if your using your Cab 21 is concern. Stringing at 22 or 23lbs with your Cab 21 will yield a different outcome when comparing this with a Cab 8 even you managed to feel that at this tension value with your cab 8, your hits is more solid. This scenario occur because those solid hits produced is not because of you're using a suitable tension value but primarily is because you managed to make an optimal contact between the racket head with the incoming birdie. Optimal contact at this point means the right timing at the right hitting zone. Assuming you have the correct footwork and playing technique, this optimal contact will only occur if your swing speed match perfectly with the stiffness of that racket used and at this point, your Cab 8 shaft stiffness managed to suitably match with your swinging style thus producing the right timing when you hit those birdie and facilitate by the fact that the string used has already dropped <24 lbs, this has managed to give you better outcome in your hits.

Regardless of whatever suitable tension value that might be ideal for you, this will only play a significant role in facilitating better outcome in all your hits IF you managed to make an optimal racket head - birdie contact....and this will only occur if your racket shaft stiffness match perfectly with your swinging style. Therefore, understand yourself clearly first as a player (playing style and physical attributes) and then try and choose the suitable racket that will match those information and then string that racket with your preferred tension value and this i guarantee that you will enjoy using it.

SS

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its a discovery. ;)

7. phahrenheit

Hi SS,

Thanks again for your comprehensive reply. I will update you.

Thanks for input from the rest too. :)