Time for a new racket. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jpazn23, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    Hi I am an Intermediate high school player and I want/need a new racket. I have a Yonex basic series racket and I think that it weights around 105 g since i compared it to my other racket that is 105 g and doesnt feel any different. I want/need a new racket because I feel that its weight is hindering my movement and seems to be tiring out my arm alot faster than when I borrowed my friends AT300. I am a all-round player but prefer to more attacking than defending. Im looking for a racket under $100 USD, balanced over head-heavy, iso, and in the weight range of 3u going toward 4u. Do you guys have any suggestions, it doesn't have to be yonex. I live on the west coast of the United States (so I dont know of the avaiblity of alot of rackets in the area) and have searched on websites but haven't found any rackets I liked. You can post the links or just the names of rackets and I will look them up. Thanks! :)

2. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

The thing is, the AT300 you talked about (that I'm getting tomorrow) is a 4U racket, it's pretty light. And it's not super head heavy (although the weight is tilting to the head a little)

Do you like it? it doesn't cost much, I'm getting it for 107 with PG-80 strings included so that's probably in your budget.

There are many cheaper alternatives out there, but the concensus is that they're not 100% sure like yonex rackets (they have their cults, but almost everyone agree that yonex produces good racket). So it's just the matter of insurance. The other rackets will probably be around 50-60 bucks including strings (specifically the yonex clones). The other stuff are even more expensive. But yonex rackets you'll probably be looking at 100 min (the AT300) and if you move around it's gonna be 150.

Basically from my calculation, you can get the yonex racket that you want, OR two other rackets (that are clones) or from cheaper company. Good luck.

You already know what you want. 3U rackets are still pretty light compare to the 108g that you're talking about. I prefer head heavy racket (of some degree), it gives more bite to the hit.

3. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

Mp 45!
    best racket for under 100$ its avg 91$!
    i own one to :)
    its my first badminton racket

4. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    I like the AT300 on how it hits. It has a nice crisp feel to on contact, but the thing is that control is really bad. My nets shots aren't as low and cross court net drops seem to not be as tight as with my basic series. Other than that the AT300 is fine. Hope you like yours Warlock.

My friend has a mp45, I haven't tried it out but it looks pretty nice.
    I'm thinking about getting a Protech classic/tour or any of the attack series.
    does anyone own or heard of Protech rackets? I've only seen them sold at one site (badminton avenue)

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    MP45 is not heavy head.

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Have a look at SOTX W8.

7. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
    thanks. I like the Sotx w8 but I cant find a retailer where I live. Does anyone have a link or address to shops that sell rackets like these in the SF Bay Area, US?

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can try looking at Ibuysports.

9. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Mybadmintonstore sells the Woven 8 and will ship to the US for free. It comes in just under budget at $99.00.

10. warlock110

how about those wilson K racket, they're kindda new, and some says they're pretty good. Price range at the most is 110. Check them out.

11. jpazn23

jpazn23 Regular Member

Student
  12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Looks like a good deal. Regarding the tension, if you have no idea, BG65 (BG80 if you have a bit extra $$$) @ 23lb is usually a safe choice to begin with.

13. warlock110

I really disagree with people when they choose cheaper strings. the string might last longer ect... but the labor is what costs more. The string costs next to nothing. Go with BG80.

14. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

If you are looking at Lighter rackets, I recommend Kason rackets. They preform very well IMO. If you are looking For a 4 or 5U racket, think about the Kason Superlight series. there is the Carvel U3, which i find to be an excellent racket, and it cost 65 dollars at racket supply in saratoga, california. it is light, but has a lot of power, and good control.

15. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    The nearest stores around you are BBC in Milbrae, GGBC2 in Emeryville, and GGBC1 in Menlo Park. However, I don't know BBC's prices, GGBC2 and GGBC1 are expensive unless you are a member. There are other places too such as Smash City's shop(Milpitas) or if you're willing, go to South Bay and there'll be Badminton Alley (sunnyvale), Racket Supply (saratoga), and Asby(San Jose).

As for rackets, the Woven 8 is a good racket. Try to buy it online at mybadmintonstore as some others have suggested, it's worth it. You can't really get a SOTX racket from Bay Area stores.

I'd recommend Victor rackets too, as I have recently tried 1 out and I thought they were very good. You can try out BS08 (probably only BS09s are out now), SW32, SW33, and SW31, they should be head heavy balance, and stiff. They are easier to wield and hit with than Yonex rackets, although Yonex rackets packs more power IMHO. Racket Supply sells Victor rackets in the Bay Area.

As for stringing, BG 65s should be just fine.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

However, BG80's durability is nowhere near BG65. If ppl tends to mis-hit a lot, then BG80 may break easily when compare to BG65. Also, depends on the level of playing, whether upgrading to better string means any difference, it depends.

Many top pros using BG65, instead of BG66 or BG80 for a reason, which is definitely not the cost, as they got all these for free. ;)

17. warlock110

durability is an issue.... the BG80 is thiner... Well let's hope mine doesn't break soon because I have it on my new racket. I think string is more important than racket for beginners like me.

18. what07

what07 Regular Member

Atleast BG-80 doesn't break as often as BG-85 :) I think AT300 with BG-80 25lbs would do just fine.