Training Racket Usage?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gundamzaku, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    how long should i use the training racket during a session, half the time, the whole time, or just a few rallies? and if i use it all the time, wouldn't it just throw my arm off when it comes to my timing that when i go play tournaments i won't be able to get back to using my regular racket anymore? or do you taper off, that as you get closer to your tournament day, you use the training racket less and more your normal racket for training???

the reason i asked is because i am thinking about getting the yonex tr1 to train my arm since i think that would be more effective than going to the gym which i have been doing.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it's a TRAINING tool, so you use it for training, better said for exercises!

that means you do for example a smash or defense or drive exercise for like 10-15 minutes for which you use the training racket. the rest of the session you use your normal racket.

i never do training-matches with the training racket, only some exercises. especially exercises that need fast underarm action, like smash defense or drives can be specifically trained with it.
    if you don't use this racket too exhaustively, then it's no problem with timing when getting back to a normal racket.

imho, 10-15min is more than enough!!

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

what is the sense of a training racket?! :confused:

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

it's heavier.
    -> more speed, more power with a regular racket.
    the human body is an adapting machine...:cool:

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    that makes a lot of sense, thank you!

6. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

depending on the weight, training racquet should be used only for drives and defense. it's to train your wrist and your hands to become stronger.

I dont recommend jumping into training smashes with the trainer racquet for you might injure your shoulder or even over swing and hit yourself in places you do not ever want to get hit. But regardless, you shouldn't need to use a trainer racquet to train smashing harder. It's probably better to focus on your technique and timing with your normal racquet. Using the trainer will just mess up your timing even more.

If you are training with it, you will see the biggest improvement using it by either wall hitting or having somebody at the net hitting down and you are on the quarter court practicing your doubles defense and vise versa.

Oh, and my partner and I occasionally just work with trainer racquets only. we're on the half court, one at the net, one doubles defense. 5 minutes, then switch, then another 5 minutes. after the straight on 1 side, we go cross court, another two 5 minute sets, then change to the other cross court for another two 5 minute sets. then straight on the last side for another two 5 minute sets. With breaks, it usually takes around an hour. If you do this properly, your forearm should be pretty sore and your defense should improve dramatically.

#6 derrickn, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. gundamzaku

working professional
    thx for the advice. when i was in 4th grade my teacher told me to hit the shuttle against the wall, and i thought she said that just to keep me occupied while she help other kids. little did i know it's actually an effective technique for training.

8. yargd

yargd Regular Member

When if use training racket, I swing much slower. What tension should I use to be able to clear back to back in training?

9. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

I think it's fine for smashing exercises if you already have good technique and fair strength. Very useful for resistance training and smashing exercises. This is the only way I can let my shoulder muscles feel the burn nowadays (other than actually working out of course).