Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

diff stringer maybe the calibration/tension is different. the nanoray zspd has a stiff frame so higher tensions and thin strings that have been stretched to the elastic limit makes the racquet feel really dead.

i've cleared off my 3U nanoray zspeed (which led people to think i was really getting rid of it) but i was actually getting the 2U in replacement. i might sell the 2U just to get the JP G4 version as G5 is not so good for my elbow at the moment.

2. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

yeah u guys are right
    i've been using NS30 for quite a while wif few diff rackets (MX80, ArcFB, MX-JJS, NZSP)
    NSZP is the worse ever hahaha

bro vajrasattva, wats the wet weight on ur 2U NZSP ?
    does it felt less numbed compare to 3U counterpart?

3. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
  4. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Well BG66U is thinner than BG98

5. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    nanoray is about control and speed...Z-speed is design of even more speed....why ppl find it diff to handle? I can understand the Z-force hammer head was too much and tired to swing...but wat could goes wrong with Z-speed here...

any ex-user of Z-speed who care to share your feeling here..
    I am not able to get feedback from those seller at buysell section bcoz they WANT to get rid of it...
    I hope some of them could be a bit OPEN to share your open thoughts here for sharing...

6. Benito

Benito Regular Member

I used Z Force 4U a lot in doubles and also own a 3U version (which too heavy for me honestly). I think Z Speed is easier to play compared to Z Force 3U by a lot because the frame is faster. But, compared to Z Force 4U, Z Speed lacks of reliability: you can execute very good shots but, for me, drives and defence are quite difficult because of the soft sensation due to the long shaft.
    So, I think i will only use Z speed for singles (because of its extra and "easy" power) and prefer Z force 4U for doubles ;)

7. bos_dc2

bos_dc2 Regular Member

I recently sold my Z-speed off because of a few issues.

I find that if you did not have proper technique or consistency, the zspd will become your enemy.

I personally couldn't get a consistent smash with this racquet because of the smaller head and faster swing.

Also, it was a lot head heavier than advertised mated with a smaller head frame and flexy shaft which for defense, it was quite awkward.

other than that, it's a beautiful racquet.

8. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
  9. Magicmeatbag

Magicmeatbag Regular Member

Landscaping
  10. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Well, the score for this racket was kinda predictable - Yonex really stepped on a landmine this time.

11. vajrasattva

yonex always produce "landmine" like racquets anyway. if they dont create any extreme type racquets, then there's no progress, no advancement. imagine if they focus produce racquets that are seemingly average and generic in nature? there are tons of mid level racquets by yonex that are rather intermediate in characteristics already

there are pros and cons, by technology one can produce really fast cars, its now whether the driver can be found or be trained to control it.

12. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    no wonder there so many ppl start selling off their racket after 1 or 2 weeks...
    another flop racket like arscb 9FL ?

13. ZeroSOFInfinity

Yeah, but when you create one, you do not "step" on it.

14. vajrasattva

er.. buy a sports car and not drive it? hmm.. oh well..

15. ZeroSOFInfinity

Actually it's more like "build a DANGEROUS sports car, and say it's the best car to drive ever". :D

16. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    So... basically a Koenigsegg?

17. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    This has been a very difficult review for me. Having been with Yonex since 1982 in terms of a user and then sponsored I never expected Z Speed to turn out as it has. Some have criticised me saying I should have restrung the racket but I wasn't allowed. I've tested virtually every Yonex racket over the years with manufacturer string and they have played fine.

This is just a quirky racket that will appeal to the few. However, we also have to remember that the majority of average club players cannot use Z Force either.

I want Yonex to continue pushing the boundaries and I doubt they will consider Z Speed a failure given the huge number of sales worldwide. However, let's keep some context here. Head heavy rackets are liked by a percentage of the market. Those who like head light rackets expected Nanoray Z Speed to be a super version of NS9900 and this has created the disappointment. They should have named it differently because it's created so much confusion in the market.

My guess is Yonex is working on replacing Arcsaber range next. Despite launch of FB and Arc 11 they are now slimming down the range so it's most likely a new range will be released in 2014.

For now there are mixed reviews about Z Speed which can be said of any other racket. There's always likers and haters. I wanted this to be a great racket and was left disappointed. But I know Yonex will do something great in 2014.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

18. SawitTri

SawitTri Regular Member

Student
    Hello to the Badminton Central Community

This would be my first ever review of a badminton racket so any responses and comments would be greatly appreciated. I have been playing badminton casually for nearly 10 years and had just gotten serious about it in the last few. I mostly play singles, but doubles when playing with friends and relatives. I’ve bought the NanoRay Z-Speed for 2 weeks and had been playing sessions with it a couple of times.

My first impressions of the racket is its weight. Though lighter than my previous muscle power, it isn’t as light as I had expected, having tried a few Nanorays before.

The first 4-5 hours with it wasn’t great. I kept mis-hitting the shuttle or missing it completely. However, I did notice that during the swing, the racket somehow seems to become slightly lighter and it just flew through the air. This is probably due to the Aero-dynamic technologies implemented.

After a couple more sessions, I gradually got used to the smaller head size and its swing. The main thing with this racket is that it requires a considerable amount of wrist power to generate any impressive speed. By the end, I was able to smash, drive and clear like a lot more competently. Drops and backhands are a pleasure. When smashing, the racket generate a very satisfying explosive sound. However, I was not able to feel the shuttle hitting the racket, as if the contact was dampened. Also, the sweet-spot, as many other have mentioned, is higher up on the string bed which means you have to hit the shuttle faster that usual and the timing need to be adjusted to maximise the racket’s abilities

In term of defines, the Z Speed performed considerably well. racket movement was very quick and agile, and again the aero-dynamics design come into play. I was able to return shots that wouldn’t have been possible before. Normal-speed smash and even faster ones I found to be easier to return.

When I gave the ZSP to my friend, who was using the Z-Slash, to try against his rival, the result was even more impressive. Him being already experienced with the Zs’ smaller head shape, he need virtually no time in adapting to it, and was RIPPING smashes. He was shouting “Kneel before zod”, which is an added bonus :cool:

In the end, I found the Z Speed to be a really good match for me. However, other people’s experiences might differ. This is certainly not a racket for everybody and most, myself included, will have a hard time “taming’’ it and its full potential will most likely remain ‘locked’ for now, until I become a better player. Though it is labelled it is labelled as a Nanoray, it is nowhere near as headlight. However, it is a great racket on its own and I never regretted buying it or thought of moving back to my previous ones. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read and again, I am happy to listen to any suggestions regarding my review or anything in general.

19. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Thats a really nice review you've written up, I've enjoyed reading through it, kob khun krap :)

20. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    I think Yonex should call this racket Arcsaber Z-Speed :)
    It seem that people enjoy Arcsaber Z-Slash would like this racket as well.

I like Yonex, because they have courage to develop innovation products.
    Even though it may not be as user friendly as other rackets.
    It may due to the unique characteristic of the new racket cause some experience players feel uncomfortable to use.
    But it is better than they just renew old model with new color scheme.