Mods to make NBG 98 rougher?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Apr 20, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Hairspray report:

Tested out a light application of “firm hold” spray onto an old credit card.

Dried quickly in less than 30 secs, leaving a rough texture on the card. The texture seems to stick quite well on the hologram, signature area and the magnetic strip areas –resistant even to hard scraping with fingernails. However, unfortunately, the areas on the slippery plastic areas can be scratched with some moderate fingernail scraping.

Hmmm… not good, as I don’t think this stuff can adhere long enough onto these slippery strings to last even half a game. I may have to try some stronger stuff like fixative sprays for artwork. To be continued…

#21 visor, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I can totally visualize it now. In the middle of the rally, visor pulls out a can of hair spray from his pocket and carefully and meticulously spray a perfectly even layer on to his nbg98....

3. visor

visor Regular Member

haha! :D... and then promptly proceeds to spray the bottom of his shoes too... ;) (knowing the fact, as any baddy fanatic would know, that hairspray helps rejuvenate the stickiness of the soles) :p

4. visor

visor Regular Member

actually, thinking about it some more, I can just spray only one side of the racket... thus, I have one side for power and the other for control... now I just have to find a way to keep track of which is which in the middle of a heated rally exchange :p :D

5. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

Have a racket logo on one side only.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Or make it simple for yourself. Just adapt to the NBG98. :p

7. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm trying hard... but I'm probably losing
    more points from my poorer touch/block shots than I'm winning from shots from the new found power. :p

I'm greedy I know... I want to have it all... power AND control. ;)

#27 visor, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well this is an interesting thread.
    I use NBG98 as well but without having problems with the slippery characteristics.
    When I ordered a new racket (cause one was broken) there was a very ugly logo from the shop on the strings.
    So I removed the logo by rubbing the strings with nail polish remover.(without acetone).
    It's already some time ago, but as far as I remember, the strings felt much rougher than before the torture. Don't know if it works when there is no color / logo on the strings.
    I can imagine that this is not very good for the string, but maybe you can try it out.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Doesn't the logo make it rougher already. I had forgotten about logos - haven't had one on my racquet strings for years.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, the ink gives the strings a certain grip and inhibits movement.

11. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

seems like I am a bit late for the party :p

solution is easy. Just kindly ask Yonex to make you a Visor limited edition string with a BG66UM core and NBG99 coating. Problem solved:D

12. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

While R4X100 is a good string, it feels differently to NBG98. Coating isn't particularly rough either, and it loses tension rather quickly.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I can't say that string roughness has had any influence on flat blocks for me. Only area where it really gets annoying are sliced shots where in the beginning it really feels like the shuttle is slipping all the way across the stringbed...but so far, I've always adapted successfully to that as well.

Give it some sessions, and if you still really need more grip, ink away! You'll have to expect to lose some of that repulsive feeling, though. Be careful to apply only a thin layer of ink so that it doesn't 'glue' the strings together as much.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

yeah, flat perpendicular blocks are fine... but anytime the incidental angle is more than 15 degrees or so, then that feeling of the cork slipping on the stringbed starts to appear. Then, what should be a +/- 5 degree in my return accuracy with zm62 or vs850 becomes like +/- 15 degree variation with this string. :crying::( :p

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Hairspray update:

Masked out the frame and sprayed 2-3 quick layers onto each side of the strings mostly around the sweetspot. Dried to touch in 30 secs. Felt noticeably rougher to touch as compared to unsprayed areas. However, with stronger scraping with fingernails, the layer comes off noticeably.

On playing tonite, slicing and angle control was excellent initally! Felt like I was playing with VS850... :D. However, repulsion and power was also noticeably reduced, like I was playing with VS850. :p After about 10 minutes of play, the effect gradually wore off, and gradually the hallmark repulsion of NGB98 returned. And so did the annoying slippery feeling. :(

Hmmm... going to have to try a more adhering spray next.

#35 visor, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  16. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

that is queer, because i've been using r4x100 and 110.. they hold tension quite decently (24x26).. and the texture of the strings are super rough! one of the roughest/grippiest i've ever used.

17. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

put a bulge or something on one side of your grip

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Grip it like I do - with a slight bulge on the grip cap on one side (where your index finger usually is). Helps to keep track of which side is which and also where to grip on serves and around the net ;)

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Alcohol rub:

Someone suggested this on page 1, and I tried it a few days ago. Wiped down the strings with a paper towel dampened with 99% rubbing alcohol. The result was a slightly rougher surface when felt with the hand. And playing had better slicing and control for those angled shots. Power felt just a tad less than I remember when it was fresh.

Now that the string has developed notches and fraying after 16 hrs of play, perhaps that affects the power and maybe control too?

#39 visor, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The tension drop should be the biggest influence on the power after 16 hrs...I had a set on my Bs12, but it didn't survive yesterday's session. :S