Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    Every store I went to when I was there only sells SP coded rackets... So that was based on my personal experience, but I guess I was jumping to conclusions.
    My apologies

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    So those HK coded rackets have "HK" written on them instead of "SP" or "JP"??

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ya that's why they're called HK coded :rolleyes:

4. jasyu

jasyu Regular Member

Broke my JP coded Fb today after a minor clash of rackets, bought less than 1 month. Heart super pain, anyone did a warranty claim from japan before??

5. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I'm so sorry to hear of people breaking their brand new FBs. By all accounts it seems to be a rather fragile frame. Whilst I have never played with one yet I did have the pleasure of holding one in store several days ago. It is incredibly light; the complete opposite of my Vapour Trail Elite. I think the Nanoray 800 and Arc FB are two of the nicest looking Yonex rackets out at the moment.

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I had warranty JP rackets before. Just need to contact the place where you go it from and send it back to them. If they approve it, you get a new one.

From what I have heard, the reports seems to be coming from the 6U versions which are coming back broken. Have not heard of the 5U ones, but I actually plan on getting a 5U one for kicks to give it a try.

7. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

A local retailer is giving me a very good price on the ArcSaber FB. It's just slightly more than what I would pay if I were in HK. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger after a demo session later this week.

I'm thinking of pairing this with either the Yonex BG-80 or BG-85 (I've been alternating between these two strings). Which colour grip and strings would match this racket? I started using towel grips recently and it's probably something I'll continue using unless there's something better that won't cause blisters! Colour suggestions for the grip would be appreciated.

8. Sgt_Strider

A local retailer is giving me a very good price on the ArcSaber FB. It's just slightly more than what I would pay if I were in HK. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger after a demo session later this week.

I'm thinking of pairing this with either the Yonex BG-80 or BG-85 (I've been alternating between these two strings). Which colour grip and strings would match this racket? I started using towel grips recently and it's probably something I'll continue using unless there's something better that won't cause blisters! Colour suggestions for the grip would be appreciated.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

yellow zm65 with yellow grip

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Gonna have a few hits with a testing version on Monday....felt like a flyswatter swinging it around. Sadly the string is so soft I won't be able to get a clear picture, but it'll suffice for a general idea of whether such a low weight is actually usable or not :D
    Just dry-swinging, the Arc11 felt a whole world better. Having only gotten 2U Arc10s for tests before, I finally understand why so many use/d that racket :D Really really nice balanced feel...

11. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    It does seem to be more fragile than other frames... Either that or everyone just had the bad luck of getting a bad product. A guy in my club had a minor clash with his the first day of use. It cracked right away :/

12. Sgt_Strider

You seem to be a big fan of the Zymax 65! I still haven't tried out that string, but after seeing both you and Kwun using it, I really have to give it a shot. Any comment on how it compares to the BG 80/85? I'm trying to get an idea of how the string will perform.

Can you confirm to me that the ZM65 is 0.65mm thick?

13. decoy

decoy Regular Member

thats what the package says for the thickness. It's about as rough as bg80 but less tension loss. I really reccomend it as well.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Heheh... I'm even a bigger fan of zm62, now that I'm finding that 23 lbs doesn't implode with the first mishit... :p ...... Zm65 feels more repulsive and grips better than bg80/85, and has better tension retention. And zm62 is even grippier and more repulsive than zm65 with a sharp hitting feel and sound that is incomparable. ;)

#354 visor, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  15. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

I can confirm that the frame of the Arc FB is ABSOLUTELY FRAGILE.

I was tempted to get it soon after it was released because I thought this racket was promising and looked so beautiful, but now I'm so glad I didn't do so. It happened to a friend of mine that he just used this racket (JP coded) for three hours and it cracked after a MINOR CLASH with other racket. We were all shocked when we knew it cracked like hell. After that, he contacted the Yonex Japan (since we are living in Tokyo) and was told that he could get a replacement for free of charge.

You might think it was a happy ending, but the story didn't end yet. Yesterday, he broke the FB again from the same cause (a minor clash). He had only been using the racket for less than two weeks. He said that he would try to contact the Yonex Japan again for claiming a replacement. Even though Yonex's customer service here in Japan is a top class, I think the Arc FB is a very disappointing product because its frame is fragile and therefore you will always feel insecure everytime you play with it.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't know what you guys define as a "minor clash", but I had several of them with my FB and everything's fine... :confused:

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What tension the racket's strung at is also absolutely vital. If you string at hobby tensions (<24-25lbs) there is not nearly as much strain on the racket as when you string at, say, 29-30lbs. Sometimes the racket may also have a structural weakness at a certain spot, which will cause a minor clash at that point to destroy the racket. Had that once when my doubles partner and I went for the same drop shot down the middle and wanted to lift it (no big swing). My racket broke, his was fine...yet I've had absolutely huge clashes with the same model without anything happening.

18. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

I would define it as "a clash of two rackets when returning a smash with a soft sound of clash (not so loud)".

I was trying to share my friend's experience to this forum in order to let you all know that (i) I think the FB's frame is fragile and (ii) there is a precedent that someone claimed to Yonex for a cracked FB racket resulted from a clash and got a replacement for that for free of charge, in this case in Yonex Japan for a JP coded FB.

19. Sidratul

Sidratul New Member

Student (LLB 2nd year)
    Sorry Everyone but apart from the topic, I have a question,,,,, Can anybody tell me how to detect/ensure that any racket is genuine or a fake??? I'm kinda new in this field... I mean I cant tell the difference between a genuine and a fake even though I have been playing for about 2 years (without any Coaching/training from a pro trainer) :crying:... Here in Bangladesh I feel every single racket is a fake though many sellers claim them to be a genuine... Not only rackets but the strings too!!! Some people give tensions of about 26-30 Lbs in their rackets!!! is that even possible with a genuine Racket or string, where it is written on the body of the racket 24-26lbs?? Please some one help me out!!! And please add me up as friends!!! I want to know more and more about badminton and you people!!! PLease reply... Thanx.... :)

20. Y[]nex

Y[]nex Regular Member

The written tension is only the recommend tension...of course it is possible to string at a higher tension but doing so would void warranty. Fake rackets commonly have paint imperfections (yonex logo is too small or too large), butt cap is off-color, shaft too flexible, serial code is impossible, racket is too light, and price too low. I would recommend inspecting the racket in person, test the flex, inspect the paint/finish, and hit with it. Or if buying online, choose a reputable seller like mybadmintonstore.com.