Ankle injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ichiigo, May 16, 2010.

1. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok. But technically you just need to use an ankle brace for an injured ankle right? I went to the doctor today and got some rehab and it improved significantly! I'm able to walk right now and that's one day after the injury only!

How do you compare the A60 and Airsport coming from the same manufacturer?

So when do you ONLY use an ankle brace, during Badminton games only?

2. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Research done in sports injury indicated that the benefit of wearing an ankle brace has both significant important role as a prophylaxis for the occurrence of an ankle injury and also the prevention of the recurrence of an ankle injury. Therefore, an ankle brace can be beneficially used both as an ankle protection for an athlete that has no history of ankle injury but fears the risk of getting one and also as an ankle protection against a recurrence of an ankle injury.

I've used airsport previously before technology advancement in making lighter ankle brace and still has the same level 4 protection has improved thus, changing to A60. Airsport is bulky to compare to A60 and also heavier than A60.

I've been using A60 for 2 years already in ALL my badminton activities ( on court training, coaching and competition) and my non-badminton activities i.e jogging.

3. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Great, I will buy the Aircast A60 then :) I'll try Medium size because my shoe size is 9.5.

4. shooting stroke

Good luck then and make sure you order the right size as they produce both right and left separately. I'm using a black colored brace and i noticed England tennis star, Andy Murray currently using a white colored A60 ankle brace at his left ankle and it looks cool[video]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbx7-RQs0nQecmZuGY1AczazUuGWBEKqEpnM0I90vx19D2eGU&t=1&usg=__1eLL7cDC0EQdLxPkHuXPkMr_P2Q=[/video].

5. kevindd992002

Engineer
  6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Can you provide a source for this, please?

7. kevindd992002

Engineer
    If I were to buy a "temporary" ankle brace with the LP brand, which should I get?

8. shooting stroke

Indeed it is. I'm using a "M" size for my right ankle.

Yes gollum.

1. The Role of Ankle Bracing for Prevention of Ankle Sprain Injuries - Publication from the
    Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy

A studies done in 2003 by Dr Michael T. Gross and Hsiu Yi Liu and an official publication of the Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Theraphy Sections of the American Physical Theraphy Association. (Attachment of document is below).

2. The Textbook of Sports Medicine - 2002 by Michael Kjaer

A comprehensive coverage of both basic science and clinical aspects of sports injury and physical activity from the World's leading authorities within exercise physiology, clinical internal medicine, sports medicine and traumatology.

[video]http://books.google.com.my/books?id=FsUK9I5ME9kC&pg=PA549&lpg=PA549&dq=ankle+brace+%2B+research+%2B+prophylaxis+and+pr evention+against+ankle+injury&source=bl&ots=AGFzniq2Tm&sig=vrKtjaoo6FxJUJZx7In3jLrH9NA&hl=en&ei=7eLZTMOcFJLsvQP81cjuCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBw[/video]

I'm not sure what LP ankle brace is worth buying however LP is another respectable brand in producing sports injury equipments. I think, rather you buy a LP ankle brace for temporary usage, why not just invest and buy aircast instead.

Attached Files:

9. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Well, the reason I asked for LP as temporary support is because I need to play on Saturday. I already ordered two Aircast A60's but they won't be here until after 2 weeks. My ankle is in playable condition already but not 100% yet.

There are too many variety of LP Ankle supports :(

10. shooting stroke

Well kevin, which LP ankle brace is best used for badminton also i don't know. Before i came across with A60, i've used Mcdavid 196 ankle brace then Aircast airsport and also Mueller Hg80 ankle brace. Never tried LP before. Either you need to try it yourself :rolleyes::rolleyes:or ask anyone who plays badminton that bought and used it to make an inform decision. Never ask the LP salesperson what is best for you unless if he plays badminton and use it!...... and don't full agree with any internet reviews as you don't know wether they do really use it.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Fantastic, thanks very much for listing those sources. :)

"Conventional wisdom" says that ankle braces are best avoided unless you already have an injury that requires stabilising. It seems the evidence is against conventional wisdom here.

#31 Gollum, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  12. shooting stroke

Your welcome my friend.

30 years ago, the idea of prophylactic benefit of using tape or brace as an ankle protection against initial ankle injury for athletes who has no history of ankle injury was not clinically understood as not much of research done.

As the understanding and knowledge about sports medicine has grown rapidly, similarly like the advancement in the technology of producing sports injuries related equipments, evidence based medicine studies in sports medicine has play an important role to provide the valuable clinical based information and guidelines to guide athletes and the public about the role and benefits of current sports injury related equipment i.e ankle brace.

13. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Thank you very much :)

By the way, won't using an ankle brace make your ankle dependent on it making it more weaker?

14. shooting stroke

Wearing ankle brace DOES NOT:

1. Make your previously injured ankle weak
    2. Reduce athletic performance

Attach is a published studies in 2005 done by a team of researchers from the Sports Medicine Institute, University Hospital of Munster, Germany for your references for the above issues.

15. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Great. Thanks for that reference.

16. subha

subha Regular Member

student
    I am facing a hard skin at the ankle end. It is on the heels. Although the entire ankle does not pain but that skin hurts while I land on heels. It has happened on my right foot. I am playing nearly 3-4 hrs per day.

Is there any solutions for such troubles?

17. ricebowl

ricebowl Regular Member

CSR
    It's been a month since I had this sprained ankle. I can walk and run now but every time I rotate my ankle there are certain angles that still hurts and my ankle is still swollen. Is this normal for a 1 month old sprained ankle?

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    See a physio. Swim more.. There are lots of islands in php. So, swim form one island to another. lol. ;)

19. ricebowl

ricebowl Regular Member

CSR
    rofl, yeah I think that's the best idea. Thanks

20. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    If it's a more serious ankle sprain, yes it should still hurt when twisted and stretched in certain angles. I just got out of a pretty nasty sprain that I always felt pain in when twisted in certain ankles for about three and a half months. Granted I started playing badminton again after about 2 months with an ankle brace (McDavid 195 lightweight) so it may have slowed my healing. I've never sprained my ankle in the past serious enough to last this long so this was a new experience for me, just like this is for you. It'll probably be like that for at least a month more.

On another topic, I have been using the McDavid 195 lightweight ankle brace and it's actually worked pretty well for me. The only downside is that it's probably bulkier than the Aircast A60, which I have not tried. Also you do have to take a minute to lace it up well and put on the velcrow, but really I've gotten pretty used to it so it's no big deal for me. I actually had a recurrence of an ankle sprain just last week and I thought I was in for another 2 months long episode of pain, swelling, stiffness, and aches. It turns out after about 3-4 days I was back to normal and I feel that I could play badminton again if I wanted to. I did follow RICE procedure which helped out as well. Main point is, the brace probably saved me a lot of trouble in that my brace took the brunt of the force so my sprain wasn't nearly as bad than if I didn't wear it. I never do any physical activity without wearing an ankle brace now.