maximum heart rate during game.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yellowduck, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    im 19 and have quite a good level of fitness. But nowhere near what i need or want to get to Top Level Badminton. This is because i get to the peak of my current training program than have had an injury so instead of starting my new harder training program and improving fitness lots, it stays the same or drops.

And yes its while doing intense cardio workouts like pulse bike training and stuff. My heart rate gets to around 150 and doesnt seem to get too much higher. Maybe for sprints and stuff i think 160 or a bit higher. But not too high as my level of fitness is still good compared to average teenagers.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It would be prudent of you to find out the real cause of your problem. There are enough cases of very young, very fit, and leading soccer stars in the European soccer leagues who died sudden deaths when playing, to raise a red flag. There may be some undiagnosed problems your doctor is unable to find out. Because of such shocking incidence of sudden deaths amongst young soccer players in Europe, now every new soccer star signing must go through a very thorough physical, specially designed, on the heart and cardio fitness.

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Quoting an article from pub med central here:

''Results: The results confirmed the high demands of the sport, with a maximum heart rate of 190.5
    beats/min and an average of 173.5 beats/min during matches over 28 minutes long and performance
    intervals of 6.4 seconds and rest time of 12.9 seconds between exchanges.''

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1724585&blobtype=pdf&tool=pmcentrez

I'm just trying to show that, no matter what your fitness level is, it is NORMAL for your heart rate to go up very high when you are doing high intensity work, the research of the study mentionned above was done on Internationnal badminton players in Spain. If you are fit, your RESTING heart rate will be low, but your WORKING heart rate can still be pushed higher. For instance, If you are playing singles at a certain speed and your heart rate is at 160, it means you have the capacity to play at a faster pace and get your heart rate up to 170 or more (I'm talking about fit athletes with no medical conditions of course).

What I mean is that if you are doing sprints and your heart rate only goes up to 150, it means that you are not ''really'' sprinting because by definitnion, a sprint should be ''all out'' effort, which means that you should reach your max capacity in terms of heart rate and leg power.

I just hope the published data posted up here can help clear things out.

4. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    hi guys,thanks for the feedback. taneepak the part bout how much my heart rate drops in a minute after it peaks n rests... i do about 40. thats very comforting. augbad, i dont do any other form of exercise. the thought of going to the gym or non mentally stimulating workouts just puts me off. i occasionally play tennis. but the closest measure i can provide for my aerobic heart rate is when im in a very boring game with complete beginners or older folks, where im just placing shots and anticipating shots much faster than them, my heart rate is around 125, otherwise its about 140-ish for a decent game. im gonna strap on that heart monitor again and get more data. neeraj, thats very unfortunate. like taneepak, i do stress u go for further tests, perhaps a different hospital for 2nd opinion.

5. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    That is rather impressive, I don't think I've ever dipped below the 50s and I think the best athletes only reach the low 30s.

As to maximum heart rate, I've reached above 200 before without having done the most strenuous exercise (I concede that I did this with a finger to my pulse, but I don't think it should be that inaccurate), so I think that I've reached or rather came close to my theoretical heart rate before.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Lance Armstrong and The Swedish long-distanse skier (multile olympic gold/medals) both peaked at a resting pulse at 32.. Miguel Indurain had a resting pulse of 28... :)

Cheers,
    T

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Slow resting pulse rate of 60 and below-people who have such a slow pulse rate are known as bradycardias-can be a good sign or a serious warning sign. A slow resting pulse rate of a fit sportsman is good; not so for a coach potato.

8. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    when u guys speak of the resting heart rate. is that your resting heart rate courtside while waiting for a game or when u r home watching tv? silly question. i know.... yet...

9. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

SOOOO much wrong info

It is important to always remember what you are talking about:

Resting heart rate is when you are in no way excited and simply sitting or lying. This is for most people 60-80, but will when you get more fit drop. If you've got a heart rate below 45 you are either an elite sportsman or taking epo (possibly both :p). Most of us badmintonplayers will probably have a resting heart rate @ 50-65.

You max pulse on the other hand isn't something YOU can change by getting more fit - it depends on your age and especially your genetics. Thus my 58 year old father has a max pulse of 215, and an 80 years old woman I've got to know through spinning has a maxpulse of 220. These 2 examples are of course quite extreme, but the 220 - your age formula is merely a rule of thumb, and without performing a max pulse test you will never know what yours really are.

What you can change about your max pulse or max heart rate is how fast you'll get there. The more fit you are, the faster you'll get there. It would be silly if you had trouble getting your pulse up the more fit you get as your pulse is what determines how long your muscles can continue doing aerobic metabolisme.

This being said - it is VERY seldom you will ever hit you max heart rate during a match as most duels take 5-7 seconds and then you get a break.

10. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    my resting heart beat is around 60 and during games, my heart rate is around 145 and during long rallies, my heart rate will be around 185. however, i could not last more than 5 mins at 185 cause fatigue will kick in....

nowadays, like kwun, i dont even want to know my heart rate cause it affects my game. why? i will tend to slow down before fatigue kicks in when i realise that i am playing at max heart rate....

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Despite being a big fat pig:D (225 lbs @ 6'0), my resting HR is 55-57 and I can easily sustain 160+ for 40 solid mins on the cross/elliptical trainer three times a week. Lucky me...

There is a more complex formula for finding max heart rates

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/g/karvonen.htm

that takes resting heart rate into account (which, IMO, is a crucial parameter); I've been told by several medicals that the heart rate recovery (time to fall from max to rest) is by far the better indicator of fitness, though.

12. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    My best was 45 or so when i was rowing . Now, its closer to 55-60.

To comment and correct some info:
    the average heart rate is given as 72 bpm. Anything up to about 95 is ok. It varies depending on your size, any medications and level of fitness/stress etc. many variables.

the usual formula for max heart rate is 220-age. Now that said, ive personally exceeded mine . Numerous factors can influence this, including size of heart , innervation and levels of certain electrolytes, so its not really something people need to worry about. Its only an average and a rough guide.

Resting HR is a good measure of general cardiovascualr endurance. Endurance atheletes (cyclists, long distance runners, rowers etc) will have lower HR than sprinters , badminton players , etc, as we dont train for beat to beat efficiency, but for lactic and anerobic endurance, and "short bursts with quick recoverys". I confess I dont know the reason our sprint training doesnt bring the resting HR down as much. Ask a physiologist :)

Your HR during exercise is reflective of how hard youre pushing yourself. It is not possible to measure how fit you are by measuring this, so there is no point in comparing - a few more jump smashes and everyones is up an extra 15 beats per minute. Its just not scientific . How quickly you recover though, and return to lower level of resting pulses is a far more important measure.

The best way of seeing if your fit enough, is to measure your time to run a certain distance as fast as you can, or simply, play as hard as you can against somebody good, and see if you can maintain 100% . Bleep test or "erg tests" are good measures also.

The last thing I'll add to the discussion, is that im very sorry to hear about some people's medical issues. We all can imagine how terrifying it is to have a health scare, but I would implore these members not to listen to anything on these forums. Im a medic, and I will not offer any opinions or advise. It is unreliable and dangerous to comment when you dont know the full story and there are many " experts " hanging about the internet with many ill informed opinions. Please dont take medical advice from anybody but a qualified professional in person.

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    Sounds like me except I get sick for extended periods of time :( I can't tell you how frustrating that is. To work so hard and build up your stamina, only to lose it all from getting sick :(

I think I max out at about 180, 190 when I'm doing high intensity interval training.

14. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

I hope your can of pocari sweat is warm and not cold?