Badminton Commercial in US

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lala Miso, May 3, 2007.

1. govalley

govalley Regular Member

Pharmacist
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA omg this was the most hilarious shizzzzz everrrrr! BOB AND HOWARD ARE STUDDSSSSS!!! CHYEAAAAA BOYYYYY....lovess it

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Fun Commercial!
    I guess some people here are WAY TOO serious about badminton.

I'm still wondering how many threads merge there will be about this badminton commercial :D

3. punchitdude

punchitdude New Member

:p:D:D This commercial is f'ing hilarious! I take badminton seriously but this is just great humor and a great commercial. A lot of you guys maybe feeling insecure about how this will effect the image of badminton as a sport but I honestly don't think hardly anyone in north america thinks badminton is a sport at all, but more of a funny game like croquet or botchy ball that you play in a park. This is definitely a step up from that. Ortiz and Urlacher are hilarious in this commercial.

Boring? Stupid? Lame? Come on, I read some of the comments on youtube by badminton fans trying to bash the commercial and I had to roll my eyes...this kind of insecurity will ruin badminton's image more than any commercial. Please just be honest with yourself and laugh.:D

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    random note about the commercial

one thing that took me a while to notice once i stopped laughing is that the yang yang guys are wearing yonex tennis shoes and not badminton shoes...who cares though still funny just yeah something random i noticed in it. dont knwo if it was posted in here before it probally was if so my bad.

anybody interested can see that it is yonex tennis shoes from the following link the color they have isnt on there but the design is the same and the pattern on the bottom isnt anything from a badminton shoe.
    http://www.yonex.com/tennis/products/shoes.html

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

6. Oggie

Oggie Regular Member

Bank Employee
    bwahaha! thats so funny!!!
    if a NFL or a CFL player would jump towards me in his attempt to hit the shuttle, I would just avoid him, duck, whatever, than loose a limb coz he looks heavy and may cause serious injury.
    Case in point, Urlacher has the intimidation factor, whereas Ortiz has the arm power, that's what vitaminwater ephasized in this commercial. Also, they are subliminaly trying to say that badminton is a difficult sport and you need the help of vitaminwater in order to be competitive (bwahaha) Its not derogatory, in my opinion. If this was done in a backyard scene, well, its going to fetch different reaction from me. But the commercial shows that badminton IS a sport and IS a highstake sport... so chill up. A lot of people still think that badminton is a backyard sport, well at least in North America... so this is a good exposure for the sport. chill!

7. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

Having experienced being led to a squash court when I asked around for a badminton court around Ramona Blvd, in California, my first reaction upon seeing this commercial is annoyance, as a layman who would not know anything about any sport for that matter will just judge it by what you initially see visually-- nothing more, nothing less.

But then again, if one goes for the credo of advertising is still advertising, whether its good or bad, then the merits of this exposure may still be more compared to its possible negative effects towards the promotion of badminton in the US

8. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I like your thinking Loppy, badminton used to be really big in the UK years ago and an ad like that but better could really get the sport back again. I seen the ad b4 and thought it was rubbish. :(

9. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

10. CoolMonster1

CoolMonster1 Regular Member

Student
    Bob Malayathong and Howard Bach actually responded to this commercial. There was actually an article about Bob Malayathong in an article of the Baltimore sun!
    There opinion was that the commercial would get people talking and informed about badminton, that it would get some much needed publicity for our sport. They said they have gotten some negative feedback from there commercial but thats just it people watch it and it gets them talking.
    The reason Bob Malayathong was in the baltimore sun was because he is a native of rockville and they wanted to have an article about him and his olympic pursuits and how hes one of the few major badminton players of now to come from the U.S.
    Badminton needs publicity.

11. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    lol, watched to before, its a joke

12. MadBadFan

MadBadFan New Member

Sad, sad, sad :crying::crying: That is after Howard won the World Championship in 2005. He is more than qualify to star in that commercial. At minimum, should be able to call himself "Howard" and not "Yang".

13. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I think that really is the idea.
    Anyone can see that that Ad and say that it was meant to be something funny...although i did not find it hilarious.
    People of US think that Baddy is a backyard sport any way so anything is a plus.

14. CoolMonster1

CoolMonster1 Regular Member

Student
    I think they were trying to impersonate the chinese mens doubles team. That way they would not be making fun of themselves.;)

15. Ang3l

Ang3l Regular Member

Hospital volunteer/badminton coach (mostly kids)/
    The commercial hurt me when I first watched it. Also, it bothered me how some people really think badminton is an "easy" sport.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If easy, then you don't need extra energy source to help you to win.

If to show badminton is easy, they should show 90 old man, can beat the OG champion, w/o drinking anything. :p

17. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
  18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, this has been posted before, but definitely worth watching again.
    what a dumb way to promote a sports drink ...

19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hahhahahhahhahhahaha
    i did sometimes smash back opponent's smash............:p
    but not to the extend of stuck at the leg................:D:D:D

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Since when did Howard Bach and Tony Gunawan become Yang and Lau? :eek:

It's not just a bad commercial... it's an incredibly stupid production as well.
    Maybe those who made it previously drank some of that vitamin water ;)