FunTasia at Singapore's Chinese Gardens

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yesterday our graduate choir spent almost the entire day at the Chinese Gardens at Jurong to participate in the organized activities.

It was Funtasia to clelebrate Singapore Totalizator Board's 20th Anniversary & Singapore Pools' 40th Anniversary. Singapore Pools is one of the main benefactors of sports and arts in Singapore. Therefore our small contribution of singing in the open to mainly fellow Singaporeans and their families from near and far was quite appropriate.

Being a graduate choir, most of us belong to the "uncles" and "aunties" age group. ;) Of course we like the oldies, musicals, classics, but we also sing popular Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian folk songs and even Mandarin pop numbers like Theresa Teng's songs. We will sing ABBA's compositions during our 10th Anniversary during in September this year. Yes we are 10 years' old this year. :D

Some pics of the event and scenery of the Chinese Gardens, which will be further improved soon.

Attached Files:

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..Loh, just wondering, is S'pore's National Holiday coming up on the 1st or on the 9th this month??..Sorry, might've been confused...:confused:

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No, it's 9th August, just about the beginning of the Bejing Olympics. :)

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More pictures of Singapore Pool's FunTasia and some of my choir members:

Attached Files:

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ah-ha..

..gotcha...Actually i made a typo also. Meant to write the 1st or 9th of next month (May) instead of this month.
    I was asking because a friend of mine went back to S'pore for a vacation and mentioned something about celebrating S'pore's National Holiday on the 1st of May??..

Btw, Loh, you looked more like a tourist in the pics, above (looking all geeked up with sunglasses and bag pack)..:D;) You must've been soaking wet from the sweat in that one pic (with your shirt showing some wet spots)..:p

#5 ctjcad, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, it was a hot day last Saturday. And we should be thankful for it since rain would have dampened the spirits. It did rain last week.

May 1st is also a public holiday here, it being Labour Day. There will be celebrations by the Trades Union movement. I think the US celebrates Labour Day later. This is the event of the year.

But August 9th, our traditional National Day, will be a really big event celebrated by the entire nation. Each year gets better than before with many diverse groups taking part in the celebrations normally preceded by an official military parade with an inspection by the President and witnessed by the country's leaders in all fields. After the march past, an artistic and colourful display of music, song and dance, showmanship and other items will follow and this is the segment that the spectators at the venue and at home over the TV, normally enjoy the most. A fireworks display will round up the evenings' entertainment.

Tickets for the National Day show are in great demand. Now, to cut down the long queues which could form overnight, ballotting through internet has been adopted to great effect since about two to three years ago.

Last year's National Day celebrations were held for the first time on our open-air floating stage at Marina Bay. It was a drastic but welcome change from the enclosed walls of the National Stadium, traditionally the venue for the celebrations, although the Padang was also a historical venue.

This successful experiment of holding large events on a floating platform on water will definitely be replicated elsewhere for other events, especially on other water bodies like our reservoirs.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I see..^^

..gotcha...So, it's the Labor Day, then...:cool:
    Looking fw to S'pore's National Holiday pics, Loh!:cool:

8. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Public holidays in Singapore for the month of May are:
    1st May (Thu) - Labour Day
    19th May (Mon) - Vesak Day.

List of public holidays in Singapore can be found at http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/general/2008_Public_Holidays.html

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Gotcha..^^

..thanks for the infos/link. Actually i was a bit confused, as i checked S'pore's Calendar and couldn't find a National Holiday on the 1st. Thus i asked Loh. Yet, my friend kept on telling me it is the National Holiday..:p...Funny thing is, my friend is a S'porean..