Thigh and Toenail Injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by mrsmile, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mrsmile

mrsmile Regular Member

Student
    I'm in need of some advices, especially when this has been happening for quite some time.

i play twice a week for 3 hours in doubles but not exactly 3 hours. you know what i mean. since i play in club we take turns. but i will always try to play.

sometimes i end up getting leg sore. it involves around my left thigh and butt (to be more exact, it's muscle/ligament between my butt and thigh). my observation is that it happens whenever i try to hard and too much to return a crosscourt (right side) shot or when our opponent lift it to my right rear court but it's not too high so i don't do shuffle step to position myself for a smash. instead i leap to the right for a quick smash surprise.

another injury involves my toe. it feels like my right toe nail is being pushed against the area where a nail fold/nail matrix (google image could help)is. i've tried 2 different shoes but this has never happened to me before i play on carpet floor. i suspect it's because i use a running shoes and a tennis shoes (tennis shoes shouldnt be a problem, right?) i always make sure it's not too long by the way

#1 mrsmile, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Thigh and toenail? Cut your toe nails, sheesh. :D ;)

If you get muscle/ligament aches, then maybe some area is understrength. You should do specific exercises. Maybe some kind of step/lunges.

For toe nail, maybe just taping them down a bit. Get rid of running shoes for badminton - more dangerous than it's worth. Tennis shoes shouldn't be as bad

3. mrsmile

mrsmile Regular Member

Student
    i guess it's time to hit the gym.

i wonder if toe support helps. gonna try it and let you guys know.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Get some badminton shoes.

5. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

noob q, can someone give me a quick list of why running shoes aren't the best for badminton? i know a cpl reasons, but i can use more points to address someone i know who JUST won't listen. thanks!

6. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Stretch before you play and try to improve your balance before and after each shot.

As for the toe nail, it maybe your shoes are too large for you. when you tie your shoes, there maybe too much a gap between your toes and the front of the shoe. So when you lunge or move forwards and stop by gripping the floor, your foot moves forwards, because of the gap, and it starts irritating your toe.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... some ppl just have to learn the hard way for themselves... when they sprain an ankle.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

it's mainly about lateral support. the sole on a running shoe is much narrower. This leads to a higher risk of 'rolling' your ankle => sprain/fracture.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

There are only two reasons the rest is just preference
    1. grip (trainers have less contact area with surface on bottom good for some things, not as good as badminton shoes for perfectly flat badminton flooring)
    2. lateral support (badminton shoes are designed to support you moving side to side/chassis/awkward angles, running trainers only for forward)

Both can cause serious injury for a slow recreational player, and for anyone fast and competitive it is almost a certain fate.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, and also running shoes are designed with more cushioning and therefore are thicker and higher off the ground, which is why the higher risk of ankle sprains.