Grand Slam winner

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by weeyet, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

1. Olympic Gold
    2. WC
    3. AE
    This 3 is the ultimate.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

How about this idea??..

..keep Olympics, as is....but bump up the World Championships to a tri-annual event and then AE to a bi-annual event....Now, that would really put the 3 events as the Grand Slam events of badminton..:rolleyes: ;):cool:

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, the AE shouldn't be changed, it's been going on for over 100 years, i'm sure they'll want to keep this traditional going.

4. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I agree... :cool:

Yang Yang never won the real Olympic Gold [starting in 1992]! ;)

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

How does YY compare with LD? As far as I know, both of them had won WC twice, and AE.

And who won more grand prix?

6. bh185008

bh185008 Regular Member

taufik hidayat

Future Grandslam Winner will be Taufik Hidayat (until he wins AE, hopefully this yr):
    - World Championship (1 gold 2005, 1 bronze 2001)
    - All England (2 runner ups 1999, 2000)
    - Asian Games Individual (2 Golds, 2002 and 2006)
    - Olympic (1 Gold, 2004)

Not to mention that he is the first player ever who held 2 big titles at the same time (olympic and WC)..yeah..

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Taufik

No doubt Taufik will be considered one of the all time greats! ;)
    Yeah, only the All England title eludes him... :eek: He better do it soon, otherwise he will be too old... [maybe he is already too old...] Prove to us that you're not a 'has-been', Taufik! :D

A few months ago, I met Taufik in a Jakarta dance-club [where else can we meet Taufik off-court?!? :p], I actually told him that I wish he shall win the Olympic gold medal 2 times. :) He just nodded and smiled, but did not say anything. [I guess he doesn't want to make promises he probably cannot deliver...] ;)

8. bh185008

bh185008 Regular Member

A few months ago, I met Taufik in a Jakarta dance-club [where else can we meet Taufik off-court?!? :p], I actually told him that I wish he shall win the Olympic gold medal 2 times. :) He just nodded and smiled, but did not say anything. [I guess he doesn't want to make promises he probably cannot deliver...] ;)

hehe agree with you Krisna....a few months ago he was still in dance club (thought he already stopped..coz of the baby etc)..:)

talking about the doubles player....Ricky/Rexy definetely a legend too bad they never win Sea Games.......they won 2 Asian Games...and the different of this pair with Candra Wijaya is Candra him self has never win Asian Games title(won individual SEA Games double and mixed 1997)..tony and sigit has never won Asian Games as well....

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Psst....don't talk so much about Asian Games. One guy here already mentioned that Asian Games is an unofficial tourney which is therefore NOT IMPORTANT :eek: So, Taufik's 2 Golds in the Asian Games are worth nothing u see....:eek::mad:

10. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    Quotes from 2cents (taken from IBF still thins Lee HI the top player while Chen Hong not)

Smaller scaled means smaller entries. I knew and also said Taufik won Asian games. He needed only 4 matches (think about it one more time, just 4 matches ) to win the Asian games, in fact, which means the best of only 16 players.

Larger scaled tournaments, like all England, used to be more than 80 entries, and at least 6 matches to claim the title. With the introduction of super series, all tournaments become smaller scaled than before, but still larger than Asian games and Olympics.

I really think that my thoughts are so common and natural, although so many people here don't agree. If in any other sports, other than badminton, the more prize money, the more important of the tournament; the more entries, the better of the tournament; the more high ranked players, the higher level of the tournament. How come here in badminton, everything's upside down? Asian game? what a joke!!! without any European players, without world number 2 Chen Hong, without world number 4 Chen Jin, without world number 7 Chen Yu, without Sony, without Roslin, even they are all Asians, but has players playing with Hijab in the top 16! How can you rate such a joke game as the best tournament? Olympic is the same joke but in a little bit larger scale.

11. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    one of the all time greats?
    ARE U JOKING?!
    almost 2 yrs since his last title in Ina 06.
    seems it's very hard for TH to win an int'l title
    u still wanna say he is the best?

12. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I don't care who that guy is who said the Asian Games is not important... :confused: But from what I know, Asian Games medals are very important for the Indonesian government, thus, they help give Rp 10 billion to PBSI [our national badminton body] through KONI [our national sports body]. Funds in the amount of Rp 10 billion is important to fund travelling expenses to tournamanents for the youngsters [such as the large contingent of INA youngsters going to the German Open this week]...

So even though the Asian Games is frankly not part of the 4 Grand Slams, but hey... it is important [at least for INA badminton]... :D

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

LOL....quoting from someone who thinks that Olympics is a joke too :eek::eek:. Well then....we know what u mean really :D:p

In that case dude, let the second-stringers play for China at the Olympics...its only another "joke" tournament :eek:

14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Ok, remember, this thread is not about the all time greats, but about the Grand Slam of badminton [which are indicators of all time greats]. So, I will entertain your comment a little bit, but not too much, Winston...

Yes I am serious about considering Taufik as one of the all time greats in MS badminton... Taufik has won:
    - Thomas Cup
    - Olympic MS Gold
    - World Championship MS Title

Yes, not in the past 2 years... but how many other MS players have achieved these feats in their careers?!? :D Out of more than 1,000,000++ professional MS in the past 50 years, how many? ;)

Oh, by the way, Taufik won the 2007 Asian Championship title in April 2007.... ;) Your claim that Taufik did not win any international title since INA Open 2006 is plainly not true. ;)

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well, he DID win the BIGGEST titles in badminton so far....the Thomas Cup, Olympics and the World Championships. If he's not among the all-time greats, I am not sure which category he belongs too :cool:

Lin Dan...sorry dude...come back next August to proclaim that he's the greatest of all. That is of course if he can win the gold in Beijing. God forbides him losing out, which u will then blame that on the Chen Hong or Chen Yu or Xia Xuanze factor again :eek::rolleyes:

So far, unfortunately, he still has yet to qualify. U see...he still misses out on that piece of gold that Taufik so luckily won 4 years ago :D:p;)

#35 badMania, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    He he he... :rolleyes: whoever says the Olympics is a joke should just be the President of their country's badminton association [as long as it is not INA]! :rolleyes: :p With jokers like that in leading their country's badminton development, INA will have an easier time getting the Olympic gold medals. We take the Olympics very seriously... :)

#36 Krisna, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    badMania, my friend... we always think alike eh? :D You posted something that is almost the same thing as what I wrote only a few minutes apart... We must have written around the same time... :D

I don't know this guy who thinks Asian Games and the Olympics is a joke, but [if he is not Indonesian], we should support him to become the next top leader in his country's badminton movement, don't you think? I like his priority settings... :p He will let INA win more golds voluntarily... Ooh, I like this guy [as long as he is not from INA]... :rolleyes:

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Haha....thanks for your compliment :D
    I believe Winston is/used to be an Indonesian, since he claimed that his brother is in Indonesia and read Jawa Post :eek:

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I fully support Winston to run for the China Badminton headship!

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    If only money matters, then the 4 Grand Slam of international Badminton are maybe:
    • China Open Superseries [US$ 250,000 this year?]
    • China Master Superseries [US$ 250,000 this year?]
    • Korea Open Superseries [US$ 300,000]
    • Indonesian Open Superseries [US$ 250,000]
    • ...if the Superseries finals ever takes place [US$ 500,000 this year?]
    Thomas Cup = joke
    Uber Cup = joke
    Sudirman Cup = joke
    BWF World Championship = joke
    Asian Games = joke
    Olympic Games = joke
    All have tournaments that have no prize money = joke