RSL X3 Gold

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by cd4se, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chasama

chasama Regular Member

Web Designer
    How is x3 silver compared to x2 blue?
    Since they are both tapered shaft.

I'm a happy owner of x2 blue by the way. ^_^

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I am guessing TB is happily using the X3 Gold now :D, and he is very eager to use the Panda's ULTRA :D:D:D. All strung to 33 X 35 lbs?

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    A short review on the X3 Gold..

Looks:
    The racket looks really nice.. Very "bling" with the gold And clean design (apart from all uzzword freinzie on the frame, like "wrinkle free technology", "pulse technology", "28lbs", "Extender"! yadda yadda...
    The frame Serial has "RSL0101DX" laser-engraved?!? Is my racket no. 101 :p :confused: ..
    The quality of the paint job seems low for sucha a high-end racket :-( .. some of the golden color has alread weared of at the sides close to the grommets, and revealed a ornage painet below :-(

Design:
    RSL seems to have put in extra material around the t-joint to enhance torsion stiffness, and the frame is box shaped with a combination of "inside wave" type frame/grommet desing for upper and lower part of the frame and concave cups for the side parts of the frame.
    Flexing the frame reveals that it is very stiff (howover i feel that it is slightly less stiff than 9900, and definitvely not as stiff as the X2). however It seems to flex a littel more closer to the head, which seems like a good design property for whip.

specs
    3U/G5, 675mm long, mid-balanced..

Strings used for testing:

Yonex BG-80 @ 26x28 lbs.

Performance...
    The racket plays extremely well. Smashes and clears feels very powerful and controled with this racket. I really love the repulsion this racket has for smashes..
    The power is very focused and sweetspot feels very large when hitting flat-on. I initally had some trouble with sliced shots, as i usually hit them with not that much more effort than the the sliced shots (just adjusting the grip to make it as deceptive as possible). with the X3 i have to hit maybe 10-15% harder compared to the non-sliced shots, due to the significant difference in speed generated from sliced compared to non sliced shots. So I felt many of the sliced drops hit the net if i didn't hit them harder than what I expected to have to (based on the effort / swing speed / used for serving, clearing, lifting ) ...
    I think it takes some time for me to adjust will have to see if i get used to this big difference.

Netplay and lifts where excellent (but to be honest I think netplay is very different and pretty much good with any racket. It is usually just a matter of getting used to the balance/weight, if it is strung with strings at high tension, so it doesnt become to "bouncy", imop)

I would not hesitate to recommend this racket for offensive player who likes a power and are "wristy" :)

If I compare it to my good old favoruite TC700, I still think the TC700 is a better racket overall, but RSL has a much bigger sweetspot, which I suspect will appeal to many players! Overall I also prefer the X3 over the X2..

Cheers,
    Twobeer

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ha ha, finally :D! That's a sweet report by TB on the X3 Gold. I will stick to X2 Gold for now . . . :cool:.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I just wish I could reedit my post afte rereading it and seen all the spelling errors :)

/T

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    could not stand it, had to change at least the most blatant keyboard-slips.. sorry.. repost..

A short review on the X3 Gold..

Looks:
    The racket looks really nice.. Very "bling" with the gold And clean design (apart from all buzzword frenzy on the frame, like "wrinkle free technology", "pulse technology", "28lbs", "Extender"! yadda yadda...
    The frame Serial has "RSL0101DX" laser-engraved?!? Is my racket no. 101 ..
    The quality of the paint job seems low for such a high-end racket :-( .. some of the golden colour has already weared off at the sides close to the grommets, and revealed a orange paint below :-(

Design:
    RSL seems to have put in extra material around the t-joint to enhance torsion stiffness, and the frame is box shaped with a combination of "inside wave" type frame/grommet design for upper and lower part of the frame and concave cups for the side parts of the frame.
    Flexing the frame reveals that it is very stiff (however I feel that it is slightly less stiff than 9900, and definitively not as stiff as the X2). however It seems to flex a little more closer to the head, which seems like a good design property for whip.

specs
    3U/G5, 675mm long, mid-balanced..

Strings used for testing:

Yonex BG-80 @ 26x28 lbs.

Performance...
    The racket plays extremely well. Smashes and clears feels very powerful and controlled with this racket. I really love the repulsion this racket has for smashes..
    The power is very focused and sweet spot feels very large when hitting flat-on. I initially had some trouble with sliced shots, as i usually hit them with not that much more effort than the nonsliced shots (just adjusting the grip to make it as deceptive as possible). with the X3 i have to hit maybe 10-15% harder compared to the non-sliced shots, due to the significant difference in speed generated from sliced compared to non sliced shots. So I felt many of the sliced drops hit the net if i didn't hit them harder than what I expected to have to (based on the effort / swing speed / used for serving, clearing, lifting ) ...
    I think it takes some time for me to adjust will have to see if i get used to this big difference.

Netplay and lifts where excellent (but to be honest I think netplay is very different and pretty much good with any racket. It is usually just a matter of getting used to the balance/weight, if it is strung with strings at high tension, so it doesn’t become to "bouncy", imop)

I would not hesitate to recommend this racket for offensive player who likes a power and are "wristy" :)

If I compare it to my good old favourite TC700, I still think the TC700 is a better racket overall, but RSL has a much bigger sweet spot, which I suspect will appeal to many players! Overall I also prefer the X3 over the X2..

Cheers,
    Twobeer

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    " netplay is very different..." should of course be "netplay isn't very different..." oops :eek:

"I would not hesitate to recommend this racket for offensive player who likes a power and are "wristy" :)"

should have been "I would not hesitate to recommend this racket for offensive player who has the power and are "wristy" :)

..damn must sleep (its 3:20 in sunday morning here...)

/T

#47 twobeer, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  8. jasonttb

jasonttb Regular Member

Hi twobeer,

Thanks for the nice review! Sorry for the lack of sleep! Nice job! :)

9. witchblade

witchblade Regular Member

Teacher
    wow really cheap..what shop bro?

10. kazibul

kazibul Regular Member

yup..same question...RM 40-60 below market price in malaysia..

11. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Hello bro,
    My friend bought it at Johor Bahru Sentosa shop. For myself, I got the racket from Permai Sport shop at Kotaraya JB.;) Try to negotiate if u buy more.:p
    Lee:D

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It was a pleasure to finally meet up with RSL Canada last night. I got to try out (demo) the RSL X3 Gold and Silver. They were significantly easier to handle (swing) than the X2 Gold. However, I can not give an objective review at this point due to the low string tension. Hee hee, itching to buy up the demos and re-string them . . . :D

13. cwzkevin

cwzkevin Regular Member

Oh, I really want to try X3 Gold and Silver.....:crying:

14. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Pete: we need to talk ;)

Ted

15. Notnimdab729

Deputy General Manager
    Hi Pete,
    I fully agreed that RSL X3 Gold is easier to use than RSL X2 Gold.:) For double players, this is an ideal racket and much easier to swing and smash. Quick and easy to maneuver. Whenever I am slightly tired, RSL X3 Gold will be my favourite racket to use.:p

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hi Lee,

:D Indeed, the X2 Gold is for the young in training. Older folks and those not in shape may find it too demanding.

X3 series have a lot more flexy shafts compared to the X2 Gold. But if you are tired and out of shape, the flexy shafts sure are a welcome in very fast drive and defensive situation.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeap, we get to meet up :D.

18. Vedder9

Vedder9 Regular Member

Proffesional
    Yeah..i intend to buy this R3 Diamond..silver colour look good to me...price quite expensive here in Perlis, from RM430 the lowest price i could get is only RM370 including bag, string and grip :)

Kinda surprised to know that the price in certain place could drop till RM260....thats very cheap :)

Anyway...anybody ever try RSL Matrix..?? This is oversize frame, kinda large than R3 model..price is cheaper :)

19. voyager

voyager Regular Member

i agree that X3 Diamond looks much better, but X3 Gold actually performs better, imho. it is a bit stiffer, but has better control. like the comments above, it has very good manuevrability and good power as well. just a good all-around racket, great for doubles.. :) maybe u'd like to try this out b4 u decide..

20. Notnimdab729

Deputy General Manager
    RSL X3 Gold or Silver

Hi Vedder9,
    What I understand from my friend who had visited the former Sentosa Shopping mall at JB, he told me he got his RSL X3 Gold and Silver at RM$240/- only without bag and gut.:eek:I was pretty surprised as I got them at RM$260/-.:( U got to bargain and see how. One of my friend at KL told me last week, he went to AJ Mart and the shop owner told him RSL X3 Gold or Silver if comes with bag and grip with string is sold at RM$299/-.;)
    I dont have friend at Perlis, so cant comment on yr selling price there.:)