The Walkover & Withdrawal issue - rights and wrongs

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by cobalt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    That we can wait for a long time...until Europe, N and S America embrace baddy and TV money flows into badminton, baddy will remain an Asian sport, so prize money will remain pittance and endorsement except for LCW and LD hard to come by. On WO and injury, how is BWF going to discipline/penalize CHN?, how do you prove injury is fake and not real?, or if a player throws his/her game?
    As long as CBA allows LYB to continue doing so, even if Li Ling Wei (represents CHN OlY council), CHN media and public disagree, this will go on.
    If baddy reaches the plight of table tennis where the rest of the world is irrelevant and TT is totally dominated by CH that it becomes not a matter of who in the world can beat a chinese player, but rather which CHN MS and WS player will crown 1-2-3 in WC and OLY, then we may see less or no WO or if LYB is replaced by someone who abolish this practice. Who knows, after LCW/PG retire, CHN MS badminton domination may resembles more like table tennis.
    Since there is no 2nd MAS player to play bodyguard to LCW, maybe LCW should consider PG as his bodyguard. So, how much is it worth to take out CJ or CL from OLY12? Lose a SF or final in SS to PG if LCW meets PG, for PG to get into the top 4, that would deny CHN of 1 spot in OLY12. Lose a battle, swallow some pride, lose some SS dollars, but hopefully win the war and the biggest reward;)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Meanwhile, an update on the spot-fixing controvery that engulfed world cricket and more specifically, Pakistan cricket last year.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/534770.html

Spot-fixing trial set to begin

Excerpts:

Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif begin their trial at a criminal court in London on Tuesday, more than a year on from the spot-fixing allegations that engulfed the cricket world during Pakistan's troubled tour of England.

The former Pakistan Test captain Butt, 27 on Friday, and fast bowler Asif, 28, will appear at Southwark Crown Court with the possibility of a custodial sentence awaiting them if deemed guilty.

...The fact the case is being heard at a crown court shows the seriousness of the allegations facing the defendants, with crown court being the more senior of the criminal courts.

The players have already been punished by the ICC (International Cricket Council) after a disciplinary hearing in Doha, Qatar. There, the three players were each banned from the sport for at least five years. Butt received a further suspended five-year ban and Asif was handed a further two-year suspended sanction.

...Asif, the right-arm swing bowler, and left-armer Amir quickly became one of the most potent new-ball attacks in world cricket. Butt, meanwhile, was a respected opening batsman and was seen as an articulate, diplomatic captain by the British media on that tour last year, prior to the allegations.

The most important aspect at stake during the trial is for cricket as a whole and its integrity, honesty and transparency, according to sports lawyer Max Eppel of McFadden's LLP, who has worked on cases involving cricket and football among others.

"The most important thing for any fan of sports is to know the teams are going out there on a level playing field," he said. "If there is any hint of corruption, the sport could be destroyed. Ultimately, any kind of hype about a criminal court trial is bad publicity for a sport, but if there are good things to come out of it, it is that the sport will get a chance to see any ramifications there are for ever getting involved in this sort of stuff."

3. viver

viver Regular Member

I don't remember any other country in recent years that produced enough players able to advance to final stages of the competitions as China. The only country capable to place various players in advanced stages of competitions was Indonesia back in the 80's with Liem Swie King, Lius Pongoh, Hastomo Arbi, Sugiarto in singles and other outstanding doubles pairs, and in the 90's with Suprianto, Kusuma, Wiranata, Susanto, etc... In men's singles, unfortunately I don't see Indonesian/Danish players in the finals and from Malaysia, LCW seems to be the 'lone warrior'. I don't even want to mention the women's side - let's hope Taiwan and Thailand continue with the support.

4. viver

viver Regular Member

I fully agree with your quote. But I also believe 'you should fight with the right tools'.

From my understanding, China is the only country still investing a lot of time and resources in the development of badminton. In my view, China should be able to field a team to compete with the rest of the world and still come out with a respectable result.

The WO are a fact, but don't the organizers request the players to be verified by the tournament doctors as well? If the current rules are not enough, then the responsible organization should draft stricter rules for control. What I do not agree is to state that a player 'cheated', when the player did everything according to the existing rules.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

I think we have been around long enough and seen a lot of things in the badminton world. LYB said something in public, but so did Rudi Hartono. Korean players were caught in the past when playing against team mates. There may be other issues which I can't recall at this moment. What means to me is, this being true then badminton might be viewed and managed similarly by the powerhouses.

On the other hand, I love to watch the China National Games and CBSL. I am curious about the prizes in CBSL.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Agreed on all your points, and in fact, they have been discussed ad nauseum on the forum, and most relevant points have also been brought up on this very thread. You sound genuinely interested; maybe you should take some time off to read the entire thread. :) There are many balanced points of view available here, as well as those that subscribe to common sense (always a good compass!) and ethics.

And that includes the "players cheated" issue as well... :D

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sounds like "real life" to me, eaglehelang!! ;):D:D:p

Remember what happened in that landmark He Zhili case; eventually she was ostracized and had to re-settle in Japan. But it didn't make damn difference to the power of China in table tennis - they just got stronger! :eek:

Which is why we must examine changes, adaptations and additions to BWF regulations and processes if we are to find a lasting and workable answer to this...

8. Chayady

Chayady Regular Member

This is the best suggestion so far in this thread. Thumbs up for your brilliant idea.
    I am sure scanning will not take more than 1 day to do. It is effective to prove any injury.
    Wishing that BWF is reading this post.

Soooooo many........
    All are TH? ROFL

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

As far as Im concern, RH has never fixed any match. I dare you not to just accuse and stir things up, but come up with proof. Or if you want, you can start a new thread regarding that. I will bet there was nothing close to unprofessional/unfair/shameful LYB LD and CHN team WO tactics.

Since when money determines right and wrong. I dont get it, how does this WO tactic by LYB is anything related to BWF having money power?? As far I understand LD and the likes have earn good amount of $$$ from endorsement etc etc. That may not as big as other sports, but that should not stopping them from doing the right things. Yes its true the attachment to national team has some merit (which at this stage I fully support), but again national team boss like LYB should not manipulate the power that he/she has to enforce anything like these WOs. So lets see it separately.

Why does BWF has to have big money to enforce good and fair rule? On the contrary this shameful CHN WO tactic is destroying badminton image in front of milllions of potential fans around the world, and how that is the benefit of the development of badminton?? The promotion of badminton as professional sport requires investment, no doubt about that. But i can grow naturally along with the increase interest in many places without CHN WO tactic. To be fair I think the grow of badminton in places like Australia, is not too bad at all. The bottom line is for badminton to grow, it does not need any shameful negative news like what PYB and CHN team now provide.

#169 Yoppy, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

proof it!!

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Main point is other countries, esp democratic countries, still would not dare to do it, even if they have the large poll of players, due to the serious consequences if they do so. Plus someone somewhere along the line will surely blow the whistle. No way they can continously do it for years on
    THe other point is other sports association are more strict or rather have more guts. Yes, Koreans have done it with the weird line up in TC- they would not have gotten off so easily in other sports. Please read previous pages of this thread. Badminton is becoming the laughing stock of the other sports when they see all this antics going on.

#171 eaglehelang, Oct 3, 2011
  12. viver

viver Regular Member

I do not want to get this topic with politics. I have played badminton for 30+ years and have followed it closely for many years. There are things I like very much about the game of badminton and other aspect a little less. While I think where you are trying to get at, fact is China's development system is setup and players follow the system. Each country has their own development program and system in place, accordingly values and expectations are different as well. You may be right about the antics. But as I mentioned, it is up to the responsible organization to amend the rules if they are not strong enough or loopholes are found. This is how I think the organization should proceed. I don't think is right to accuse the managers and players when everything is done in accordance with the existing rules. Nothing in life is not perfect, we just try to make it better.

13. viver

viver Regular Member

I cannot prove it, but you should be able to find the interview posted somewhere here in BC. I can't really remember who posted the article, maybe Bbn or Loh. Happy search!

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Then your point is a baseless accusation. And btw mr Loh and Bbn also never provided a solid proof, maybe they have maybe they don't. You can ask them if you don't trust me. But I'm not the one here who made the statement, so why should I be the one responsible finding the proof??

#174 Yoppy, Oct 3, 2011
  15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seriously, after these many years we still debate on such meaningless topics? Yeah, a lot of the rules are not perfect, and it will never be. It's tough to be on the receiving end, but unless you find an effective way to counter it, there's nothing we can do about.

The sports rules is like many laws, have holes and issues here and there. Unless an effective fix is introduced, there's no point to complain. If someone effectively "take advantage", but you cannot, then it's more like your own problem, rather than other individuals. I call it "sour grape".

Well, move on, enjoy the sport, instead of focusing on which national flag the players are carrying...

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There's a difference between "do not want to do it" vs. "never get a chance to do it". If CHN players want to do it, they have to be good enough to get to QF, SF or even Final 1st. If KOR team wants to do it, they have to get to SF 1st as well.

I can say that I am a saint, as I will never throw a match to LD or LCW, etc. However, simply because I might never get a chance to against them in SF or Final to begin with. If I step into their system, I might have to think and do it differently.

I remember this report during OG 08, as some analysts say that wester atheltes do not care about medal counts, but focus on what they love. Hence, pointing that CHN is massive produce pros for medal counts. The funny example is, they said if LBJ gives up basketball, and go for track & field (long jump), he has more chance to get more medals for US, rather than sharing 1 with 11 others.

Give me a freaking break, you think LBJ choose basketball instead of long jump (or whatever) is because he loves the sport itself??? There's no mult. million $$$ play for any factors??? Of course, western players do not care medal counts as much (e.g. many refuse to play for OG tennis), not because they are saints, only because OG does not provide $$$ or ranking points. They care about their OWN careers (which means million $$$) way over their national pride.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

My point could be baseless - but isn't the same for most of the claims here. As I mentioned the WOs are a fact, but were the claims not verified and confirmed by the tournament doctors. What people have noticed is the frequency which while surely make people think, but really nothing against the current rules. Honestly, I am not much interested in this topic, but since you asked... http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/72954-Sport-is-not-corruption-free

18. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Very good find, Viver. That settles whether other countries are doing it also. Given the opportunity, any country could do it. Maybe not every tournament, but when the title is grand enough...

19. viver

viver Regular Member

The original poster was Loh, so Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar. Any appreciation should be directed to Loh. The article is interesting and also enlightening but ignored by the 'masses' here.

#179 viver, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've just been reading through this thread, and I have noticed that for the most part there have been some great comments and some very sensible and some thought-provoking suggestions.

There have also been a lot of thoughts and opinions expressed on why the walkovers/withdrawals are happening, if there is anything wrong with that at all, and why it is unfair to tag China as the bad guys.

There have been many posts expressing strong sentiments. There have been many posts expressing a balanced and often informed opinions on actions/consequences, as well as examples of the same.

Through all this, there appears however, a kind of appreciation of the complexity of the issue. Sometimes, the language used or the methods employed to make a point, may not be the most... diplomatic :D ...but it certainly helps spice things up! :p However, the very fact that most of us are driven to express strong opinions and take the time to make suggestions or discuss possible solutions, shows that we would really want to find a solution to this issue! :)

Sadly, I have also noticed that many forumers who were providing their valuable inputs on earlier pages, have chosen not to continue. I hope they come back and continue to help us all to look for the answers.

Just remember: the answers we will find, do not apply just to the China syndrome (sorry, couldn't resist! :D) it will apply just as well to any other team at any time, now or in the future. That is how it should be.