Hello from Surrey, BC

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by purified, Mar 7, 2009.

1. purified

purified Regular Member

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I live and play badminton in Surrey (Cloverdale), BC. I moved here last fall from Manitoba, so you know I'm enjoying the BC "winter".

I'm always looking for a good game. Also, I travel to Moncton, NB every other week, so get in touch if you're up for a game there.

I'm an intermediate level player. I used to compete in High school, but that was a long time ago. When I play here, I'm usually pretty competitive. I guess it always depends on your opponents.

I love almost all racquet sports... tennis, ping pong, squash (even racquetball..not as much as the others though). I'd have to say I'm a consistent B-level in most sports except squash (low C there)

Nice to meet y'all.

T

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yo purified!
    welcome to da forum!:D

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCDF, purified (T)!:)..So, how do you adjust your game as you jump from one racket sport to another, considering your level has been a consistent B-level??..Yeah, lots of BCers in the GVA..For BCers & places to play in Moncton, NB, you can hover on over to the Places to Play/Local Events->Canada East..
    Anyway, keep coming back and hope you'll enjoy surfing the rest of this forum!;):cool:

4. purified

purified Regular Member

Thx for the welcome.

For me it's not as much of an adjustment between sports since I tend to use strokes from every sport with others. Slice backhand carries well from squash to tennis, touch carries well from badminton to squash, overhead carries well from badminton to most, etc...

The footwork is probably the biggest adjustment. I've switched so often, it's not as big a deal anymore.

purified

5. AMD64

AMD64 Regular Member

Some racquet sports are similar.

6. birdman

birdman Regular Member

Hello Purified,
    Where in Cloverdale do you play badminton? I would like to start playing again myself. I am a competitive player so I am looking for a competitive club. Or if there is anyone else out there that can suggest good place to play with great people I would appreciate it. I do not mind playing in Surrey, Delta or Richmond. I also enjoy tennis and squash.
    Thanks!

7. purified

purified Regular Member

Hey Birdman,

I play badminton at the YMCA on Panorama (not far from the corner of 10 and 152) (Mondays evening and Saturdays mornings). South Surrey Rec Centre (in White Rock) has some pretty competitive players (Tuesday and Friday Evenings). Best competition is Tuesday's. There's also White Rock Badminton club - Semiahmoo, which I hear is pretty good.

I've met a few people here who I play Tennis with at various outdoor courts.

For squash, most is played downtown, but at Newland's country club there is a drop in on Thursday around 4. Good mix of people.

From what I hear badminton is one of the fastest growing sports in BC, so you'll hvae no problem finding competition.

I'll be at the Y on Saturday (7-9 am) and at South Surrey Rec on Tuesday.

HTH

8. birdman

birdman Regular Member

I appreciate the great info. Sat morning at the Y is a bit early for me but Monday evening may work as well as Tue & Thu at South Surrey Rec. What are the times?
    Also how is the Cloverdale club? Being an elementary school there is probably not much room at the ends of the courts?

9. purified

purified Regular Member

10. birdman

birdman Regular Member

Ok then, Tue at 7pm at South Surrey Rec it is!
    Hope to see you there!