2014 OUE Singapore Open SS

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / New Zealand Open / China Master 2' started by Loh, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With the possibility that we might not see LCW again, I have decided to buy a ticket this morning to support him.

I hope to be able to take shots of him as well as other players, both young and not so young for my badminton album. There are many upcoming players that deserve a place in my album. Players such as World Champ May of Thailand and China's many illustrious players like LXR, WYH et all. And the fresh faces from Europe, Korea and Japan as well.

Watching at home on TV has many advantages but they usually show the matches from the QF onwards.

There is no chance to see many other players, especially the young ones, who may be knocked out in the earlier rounds.

On weekdays, I can go to the stadium after work and still get a good seat as it is reserved only for me.

Hope to see Bobby there as well.

2. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    great ! Thumbs up ~! May the best players win.

3. kampungboy

kampungboy Regular Member

Sales
    The main reason I am watching on site is to let my boy experience the atmosphere a world class tournament and get up close with his idol, Datok Lee. I am hoping Datok Lee to be in the final.

4. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Datuk lee will be in finals, unless injury=x
    My first time to watch him play live ! Cant wait. Usually on TV the movement is slower. Wana see how was it is when its LIVE~!

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Haha, my fixed seat for the season is Section 210, Row 20 and Seat 3. No need to fight for seats as before.

Tix must be selling fast as I could not get the section of my choice! Just hope I still have a satisfactory position to snap pictures.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    World champion Ratchanok Inthanon coming for OUE Singapore Open

Published on Mar 04, 2014
    5:43 PM

By Choo Yun Ting

World champion badminton player Ratchanok Inthanon will play in next month's OUE Singapore Open.

The 19-year-old Thai will headline a strong contingent of 20 players from the kingdom that includes two-time Singapore Open winner Boonsak Ponsana (world No.6).

Ratchanok, currently ranked third in the world, became the youngest-ever singles world champion when she won at World Championships in Guangzhou last year at the age of 18.

She said: "Last year was a good year for me. I'm looking forward to compete in Singapore and this is also a good opportunity for me to assess our opponents ahead of the Uber Cup in May."

7. ladida321

ladida321 Regular Member

Hey guys,

Am getting my season pass tickets today. Any ideas on which seats would offer a good view, esp for the semi-finals/finals?

Cheers,

8. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    The matches for the semifinals and finals should be on Court 2 and 3. If you try to book a seat at block 211 (which I believe is full already), you might be allocated a seat at block 210 or 212.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Ticket-Sales?p=2200784&viewfull=1#post2200784

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some complained that the disadvantage of the fixed seat system is that you can't rush to the seats nearer to the match you want to watch.

Your idol may be playing in a court quite far away from you and you can't move from your fixed seat.

10. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    Can anyone confirm if the $Singapore 49.0 cost of tickets I bought is good for 6 days (from April 8-13) because I would only be watching the games from the quarter finals (Friday) until the finals (Sunday). Thanks!

11. ladida321

ladida321 Regular Member

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes the Early Bird Season Ticket is for Tue April 8-13 Sun.

If you have booked via internet, you should receive a email confirmation from Sports Hub Tix and you need to print out the individual tickets and bring them along for admission. In your case you should have three tickets for Fri, Sat and Sun with you when you come.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore Open gets All-England boost

[​IMG] Lee Chong Wei. Photo: Getty Images

Fans welcome return of world No 1 Lee Chong Wei, who last played here in 2010

By Adelene Wong
    Published: March 11, 4:13 AM

SINGAPORE — Badminton’s OUE Singapore Open received a boost on Sunday when players confirmed for next month’s tournament at the Singapore Indoor Stadium (Apr 8-13) won four of the five finals at the prestigious All-England Championships that just concluded.

Leading the way is men’s World No 1 singles player Lee Chong Wei who will be making his first appearance here since 2010 when he reached the quarter-finals. The Malaysian, 31, who last won here in 2008, defeated China’s Chen Long in Birmingham 21-13, 21-18 to claim the All-England men’s singles title for the third time.

Other newly-crowned All-England winners who will be entertaining the fans at the 13,000-capacity Singapore Indoor Stadium are World No 1 men’s doubles pair Hendra Setiawan and Mohamad Ahsan of Indonesia, and their mixed doubles compatriots Liliyana Natsir and Tontowi Ahmad (both pairs are defending their Singapore Open titles).

Wang Xiaoli, who partnered Yu Yang to the women’s doubles crown in Birmingham, will also be here.

Event organiser, the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA), is expecting a surge in interest with this latest development. Early bird ticket sales are already showing a 40 per cent increase from last year — nearly 1,500 tickets were sold during the early sale period from Feb 17 to March 7, compared with about 800 last year.

“We believe badminton fans are looking forward to witness the exciting action at the Singapore Indoor Stadium ... especially with the confirmation of Lee Chong Wei. We believe that the ticket sales will increase even further,” said SBA Chief Executive Ronnie Lim, who expects many Malaysians to turn up to support their star player in the week of the Singapore Open.

“With player registration officially closed for the tournament (Mar 4), fans can definitely anticipate world-class badminton action featuring shuttlers from no fewer than 18 countries, which include Singapore, China, South Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Denmark.”

One such fan is 25-year-old Syenkai Lui, who has gone for every edition of the Singapore Open since 2007. “I expect this edition to be different from past editions as it already looks more exciting with so many top players in the world coming,” said Lui.

“The news that Lee confirmed his participation in the tournament, and that it may be his last Singapore Open also made me purchase the tickets immediately.”

Lui’s friend, Wyman Yeo, 23, has noticed more hype in the social media about the Singapore Open compared to previous years. “News of star players and top badminton nations confirming their entries is everywhere on Facebook, and my friends and I are excited,” he said.

This year, prices for premium season tickets have been slashed by almost 50 per cent to S$150, from S$280 last year, as Ng Yoke Weng, Organising Chairman of the OUE Singapore Open, commented that he “wants to make sure that the fans get to enjoy the thrills this year”.

Season ticket holders are also able to keep the same seats for all match days this year as tickets are now sold with seat numbers, unlike previous years when there was free seating

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Potential clashes between world's best at OUE Singapore Open next month

Published on Mar 26, 2014
    2:34 PM

[​IMG]
    Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia hits a return to Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia during their men's singles final match at the Malaysian Open Super Series 2014 badminton tournament in Kuala Lumpur January 19, 2014. Indonesian shuttler Tommy Sugiarto will have to get past world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei if he is to defend his trophy at next month's OUE Singapore Open. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

By May Chen

Indonesian shuttler Tommy Sugiarto will have to get past world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei if he is to defend his trophy at next month's OUE Singapore Open.

The world No. 4 was drawn in the same half as the Malaysian, setting up a potential mouthwatering clash in the semi-finals. Said Lee, who will be competing in the event for the first time since 2010: "I will definitely give my very best and aim to reach the final in order not to disappoint my fans."

Japan's world No. 3 Kenichi Tago could meet Thailand's world No. 6 Boonsak Ponsana. The Thai is a two-time champion at the Singapore Open, having also made the finals on three separate occasions.

In the women's singles, defending champion Wang Yihan will have to negotiate past world champion Ratchanok Intanon (No. 4) and India's world No. 8 Saina Nehwal in her half, before possibly playing compatriot Li Xuerui (No. 1) in what would be a repeat of last year's final.

15. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Boonsak withdraw from india ss and SO due to right thigh injured.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lee, Sugiarto semi-final likely at S’pore Open

[​IMG] Lee Chong Wei is set to face world No 4 Tommy Sugiarto again next month. Photo: Getty Images

ByLow Lin Fhoong
    Published: March 27, 4:13 AM

SINGAPORE — World No 1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei is set to face defending champion Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia in the semi-finals of the OUE Singapore Open as the 31-year-old Malaysian bids to recapture the title that he last won in 2008.

Lee, the newly-crowned All-England champion, will face Hong Kong’s Wei Nan in the first round of the US$300,000 (S$380,000) Super Series tournament from April 8 to 13 before a possible quarter-final match-up against world No 12 Kento Momota of Japan.

Spectators can expect an electrifying clash in the semi-finals, as world No 4 Sugiarto will be keen to avenge his 21-19, 21-9 defeat to Lee in the Malaysian Open final two months ago.

“I have not been playing in Singapore since 2010,” said Lee, who was eliminated in the quarter-finals then. “I aim to reach the final in order not to disappoint my fans.”

Women’s singles world No 1 Li Xuerui has been handed a favourable draw, while compatriot and defending champion Wang Yihan will have to navigate a trickier path that could include Indian ace Sainal Nehwal (No 8) or reigning world champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand.

Singapore’s bid for honours will see world No 17 mixed doubles pair Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Vanessa Neo meeting India’s Kona Tarun and Ashwini Ponnappa (No 37) in the first round before a possible match-up against Thailand’s Sudket Prapakamol and Saralee Thoungthongkam (No 8) in the top eight.

Top-ranked Singaporean Gu Juan (No 20) will face a tough opener against Japan’s world No 11 Sayaka Takahasi in the women’s singles before facing Intanok in the next round. Singapore Open women’s doubles winners (2010) Yao Lei and Shinta Mulia Sari will face a difficult first-round test against world No 5 pair Jang Ye Na and So Young Kim (South Korea).

The event will be the first test for newly-appointed chief coach Liu Qingdong, who joined the Singapore Badminton Association last month.

“We want to perform better this year and stress is inevitable,” said Liu. “Looking at our fixtures, there’s a mix of good and bad draws. Right now, I’m aiming for our men’s singles, women’s singles and mixed doubles to at least reach the last 16.”

17. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Ratchanok confirm to play SG open.:)

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That means Intanon R's 'injury' at the AE is very mild which was why she could go all the way to the semifinal with LXR (who,incidentally, also had her left knee heavily bandaged as a precautionary measure).

Good for IR and glad to know she'll be playing at the SIN Open. Based on the draw (in the absence of WSX,so one fewer difficult opponent to worry about) I should expect her to advance at least to the semifinal from her quadrant which includes Han Li, Saina, Gu Juan and Sayaka T, none of whom I believe should be a serious obstacle to her though one can never rule out surprises totally.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's Derek Wong goes into main draw following Indonesian withdrawals
    Published on Apr 03, 2014
    7:37 PM

By Choo Yun Ting

Singapore's top male shuttler Derek Wong has been given a bye into the main draw of the April 8-13 OUE Singapore Open following the withdrawals of Indonesia's two top shuttlers - defending champion Tommy Sugiarto and 2010 winner Sony Dwi Kuncoro.

The Republic's world no. 45 was promoted to the main draw by virtue of being the second-seeded qualifier, alongside China's top-seeded qualifier Gao Huan.

Wong, 25, had originally been slated to face Malaysia's Tan Chun Seang in the qualifying rounds of the tournament.

He will now await the team managers' meeting on Monday, after which he will know if he faces Hong Kong's world no. 13 Hu Yun or another qualifier in the first round.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    This will be the first Singapore Open I have missed in many years.
    And it's just because the seating system this year is so messed up.

I wonder why they needed to fix what wasn't broken :(