Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The problem is China doing their match-fixing

The problem is China doing their match-fixing.

IMHO, China, being the strongest Badminton nation, has thrown our sport upside-down.

We, Badminton fans, would like to find who is the best and fairest player in the world.

China, on the other hand, like to fix matches, so that one of their players (not necessarily their best) to win a title.

Can't you see the difference?

Well, if you don't see the difference, then perhaps I shall give one of the examples:

C1 = Best CHN player (Let's give him 10/10 ranking)
    C2 = Second best CHN player (Let's give him 8/10 ranking)

N1 = Best non-CHN player (Let's give him 9/10 ranking)
    N2 = Second best non-CHN player (Let's give him 7/10 ranking)

Therefore, their strength/ability/skill: C1>N1>C2>N2.

Let's say at the Semi-Finals, C1 plays N1, and C2 plays N2.

CBA wanted to raise the ranking of C2.

Based on their true strength/ability/skill (C1>N1>C2>N2), at the Semi-Finals, C1 defeated N1, and C2 defeated N2.

At the Finals, because CBA say let's raise the ranking of C2, C1 was asked to lose to C3.

Now, what is the point? We want to find out who is the best player in the tournament. But C1 was told to let C2 win.

BCers who are of less knowledgeable about players' strength/ability/skill would say "Wow, C2 is really the best at this tournament". But knowledgeable BCers would say "That's rubbish. All Chinese players and fans know that C1 is way better than C2's skill".

To China, it is good - C2 will be ranking highest in the next world ranking.

To us fans, it is bad - C1, the better player, will be ranked lower than C2 in the next world ranking.

#2701 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Maybe we should also look at the rules laid down for such major events, Olympics, Thomas Cup, etc.
    Of course each organizing body sets its own rules to reflect its objective. For the Olympics badminton, it is a compromise in individual events for the best players and from as many countries as possible subject to certain standards which unfortunately are quite low.
    In view of this, based on the accusations against so-called foul play by China, which I think are completely misguided, China is at least thinking and planning one step ahead. To achieve maximum participation for their players it is common sense that the only intelligent strategy to play out is exactly what we are seeing with so many 'no shows'. Now, if only others can use strategy instead of sticking their neck in the sand and throw mud at China.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Judo (Each nation can qualify one athlete per event)

It is not my proposal. I borrowed it from Judo (how they do it at the Olympic Games). Here is the link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/judo/8855623.stm

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

London 2012 Olympics qualifying: Judo

How qualification works:

There are 14 judo medals available at London 2012, involving seven weight categories for both men and women. Each nation can qualify one athlete per event.

Qualifying in judo is based almost entirely on the world ranking list prepared by governing body the IJF on 1 May 2012.

For each men's event, the top 22 athletes in the rankings (abiding by the one-per-country rule) all directly qualify for the Olympics. For the women, that number is 14 athletes.

If a nation has more than one judo player - or judoka - in the top 22 or 14 depending on gender, that nation must select the judoka it wishes to qualify. The other(s) are excluded and the search goes on until 22 (or 14) different countries are represented.

Importantly and unusually among Olympic sports, each qualification place earned goes directly to the judoka, not the country. So a judoka earning a place at London 2012 keeps it - it cannot be assigned to another athlete by their governing body.

After this first phase of qualifying, the ranking list is again used to qualify the next-best athletes on a continental basis.

Each continent - divided up as Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and Pan-America - gets its own continental ranking list of judoka who have yet to qualify.

This list is used to add 25 more entrants from Europe, 24 from Africa, 21 from Pan-America, 20 from Asia and 10 from Oceania.

However, in this phase, only one athlete per country can qualify across all weight categories and both genders.

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

#2703 chris-ccc, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yeah, lets to the judo way.. Pls write to bwf and IOC now. ;)

5. luvina

luvina Regular Member

ex student

Didn't Lin Dan see a LYD plays in XD and MD? :confused:
    Come on Lin Dan, do not make yourself more be worse...

Anyway, looks Lin Dan is darker now. What happened with him?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [video=youtube;vG3cDOtFVCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG3cDOtFVCs&feature=g-u-u&context=G2dda281FUAAAAAAAPAA[/video]

7. laonong

laonong Regular Member

You have to consider the population of each country to make it fair.

It's not fair to have one player for each country due to the big difference of population for different countries.

8. fauci

fauci Regular Member

This is a different thing. I was talking about the rule concerning nationality. Match-fixing for sure should be discouraged.

9. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Rules are always favourable to the majority, countries in this case, or to a powerful pole behind the scene. China doesn't fall into either group.

For a competitive sport at its highest, one competes not given. If the player is weak, go home and train harder. Blaming the others being too good is a coward's word. One can argue China is playing dirty with match-fixing. On the other hand, I would also argue barring a top player from participating because of nationality is equally bad and as discriminatory as your comment is.

#2709 fauci, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. extremenanopowe

Lin dance. Cool. ;)
    [video=youtube;yibO3rZ_sSc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibO3rZ_sSc&sns=fb[/video]

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    It is not easy to make the CHN national team...only only play good badminton, they have to act, dance, model in designer clothes, photogenic and sing, yeah singing....even LYB sing....surely multi talented, simply unmatchable:D

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Lin Dan poses outside 10 Downing Street prior to the Laureus World Sports Awards 2012 on February 6, 2012 in London, England.

View attachment 116229

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    China not competitive in influential sports: LinDan

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]LONDON - The reason why China lacks Laureus award-winning athletes is that Chinese are notcompetitive enough in some influential categories, said famous Chinese badminton player LinDan on Sunday.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

"China is one of the countries with most world champions, but it is a pity that the categories inwhich Chinese are competitive are not globally influential," Lin said during an interview withXinhua.
    Since 2000 Chinese have won three Laureus Awards, including Yao Ming and Liu Xiang asBest Newcomers of the Year, and Chinese Olympic team as the Best Team of the Year.
    However, none of the Chinese have been awarded as the best sportsman or sportswoman inthe "Oscar in sports". Most of such classic awards were given to players in golf, tennis as wellas track and field.
    "China is good in diving, table tennis and badminton, and for so many times our national flagwas hoisted across the world. But globally these sports are not popular enough," he said.
    This year Li Na, the first Asian player ever to win a singles Grand Slam title, was nominated forLaureus World Breakthrough of the Year. Along with her was hurdles star Liu Xiang, China'sfirst male Olympic gold medalist in track and field.
    Talking about his compatriots, Lin Dan said it was "really not easy for Liu Xiang to gain thenomination".
    "Since 2004 he had gone through so many twists and turns but persisted nevertheless," said LiDan, arguably the greatest shuttler of all time.
    He believed that Li Na set up a good example for other Chinese players. "Few Chinese peopleare good at tennis, but Li succeeded. She proved that in many unfamiliar fields Chinese canwin so long as they try."
    "I want to promote badminton to make it one of the most influential sports in the world," Lin said,adding that it was exactly the reason why he came to the Laureus award ceremony in London.
    "After my retirement, if one day when I switch on the television, I can see a badminton player,not necessarily a Chinese, win the Laureus award, I will be very happy," he said.
    Talking about the upcoming London Olympics, Lin is not sure whether he will come.
    "I am working hard for the preparation and I hope that the coaches could, when drafting thefinal list for Olympic participants, write down my name without hesitation," he said.
    Lin carved out his professional career in 2001. He admitted that the London Games might behis last Olympics. "If I can still be standing in the Olympic arena, I would be satisfied because itmeans for nearly 12 years, I am still in good shape," he said.
    When asked about his arch-rival in the forthcoming competition, Lin said: "I will fight each andevery competitor with might and main, whether he is Lee Chong-wei or Taufik Hidayat, or someone else."

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's not the skill of a sportsperson that we vote for, but the competitiveness

Lin Dan should realise that winners of the Laureus World Sports Awards are awarded annually to sportspeople who have not only performed well, but to those who could attract huge number of fans following them in the sporting arena.

Fans of sportspeople might like their idols to win, but the fans could read into their idols' minds how hard their idols wanted to win. Actually, I think it's more of the latter than the former, that many sportspeople have become popular.

It is the competitive nature of sportspeople that shines, that make observers wanting to vote for them. It is not about how influential the sport is that help sportspeople winning the Laureus World Sports Awards.

From Australia, I can relate to our own sportspeople who have won the Laureus World Sports Awards, like in Cricket (Mens Team), Surfing (Layne Beachley and Stephanie Gilmore), Yachting (Peter Blake), Alpine Skiing (Michael Milton), Athletics (Cathy Freeman), Wheelchair Athletics (Louise Sauvage), Paraplegic Sailing (Vinny Lauwers), etc... Not only they were good in their sports, but they managed to get fans to cheer for them because they made known to us how much effort they have put into their sports (that we have to cheer for them).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureus_World_Sports_Awards

It's not their skill that we admire, but their competitiveness.

And it is never about how influential the sport is.

#2714 chris-ccc, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  15. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    That was a very humble opinion by LD, & i hope he means it.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    he won the 最具风范奖 in china few days ago
    hehe
    not sure walkover around the world = 风范

17. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

最具风范奖.....................lol

18. extremenanopowe

Too bad he didn't win this. I guess the world is also watching. ;)

19. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Talking about the upcoming London Olympics, Lin is not sure whether he will come.
    "I am working hard for the preparation and I hope that the coaches could, when drafting the final list for Olympic participants, write down my name without hesitation," he said.

Is the above some kind of a joke :)

20. Nathaniel_Near

Nathaniel_Near Regular Member

Do you guys believe Lin Dan reached his peak a few years ago OR... that he is still at the top of his game now, and that LCW has ascended, evolved and become a player of equal brilliance and capabilities???