Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Reflection of a typical singaporean

I received this poem from a Singaporean.

Thought it's so funny - So I shall post it in this thread. :):):)

REFLECTION OF A TYPICAL SINGAPOREAN

I am Ong Ah Tee living in Kampong Chai Chee
    Life used to be simple and HAPPY
    I worked hard in my STUDIES
    I learned A-B-C, and everything from 1, 2, and 3.
    Primary school was quite easy I passed PSLE

Then I went to SECONDARY
    The subjects include HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY
    Physics, Biology and CHEMISTRY
    After O levels I went to JC

They said you live in Singapore very LUCKY
    This is a small humid tropical COUNTRY
    Surrounded by unknown potential ENEMIES
    Boys turned 18 must go to ARMY for the tour of duty
    After that we may continue our Studies

The girls can just sit back, relax, and watch TV
    They come to this world only to "lim kopi, kway jit chee"
    No one lives on free meals or depends on CHARITY
    I want to take up IT, but I had no money to go to University or Poly

So I went to work at FACTORY
    Working hard to earn a little lousy SALARY
    After CPF and INCOME TAX, I have just enough money to buy ROTI and ride in MRT.
    My bosses show me no SYMPATHY
    Mumbling over my shoulder daily: "HURRY, HURRY and HURRY !"
    Accusing me of always trying to get MC
    But my sickness was due to over stretch OT
    Going home after midnight by TAXI
    And they pay me only bus fee

My colleague likes me because of my honesty and can easily bully
    They said I don't know how to carry.
    I Park-Tor and became STEADY
    Finally had to MARRY
    Because gahment gave baby bonus MONEY
    I lost money holding Wedding Dinner PARTY
    Cheeky friends donating only cheap PANTY

After marriage, nothing was EASY
    In one year, I became DADDY
    I can't support my family and our BABY
    Being tied down for life to repay 2 rooms HDB and rising monthly utilities to PUB
    My bank account has NO MONEY
    POSB balance is almost EMPTY
    DBS wants to charge me EXTRA FEE

Insisting that "Nothing is FREE!"
    So I moonlight as KARANG GUNI
    Many times I want to jump MRT
    But that is not EASY
    My wife cries: "Who is going to support me and our BABY?"
    So I can't MATI

I went to seek assistance from the MP
    His reply was simple and easy
    "Vote for me, vote for me, vote for me".
    He never tells me any convincing Policy.
    How to help the poor with more GST?
    Why I cannot have pay increase but they can have increase?
    Before, my MP said "Vote for me, we give you sweeties".
    Now, they want to increase salary, because "You voted me"..

They claim they made good economy for our country.
    They benchmark themselves using GDP.
    They said, "To get the best man, you have to pay high fee"
    otherwise, they will join MNC. / /
    And all your 'char bor' become maids in other COUNTRY.

Next will be the GST.
    My boss say "no" to increase in salary,
    It's really make me worry.
    Our Health Ministry said let GP set their consultation fee.
    If the GP charges high fee, don't let them see.

No money, how can healthy
    If fall sick, can only mati
    In hospital, can afford Class C.
    I don't mind all nurses are aunty,
    But only one doctor to see
    No money for operation, I Tan Si.

:):):)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That sounds familiar but not necessarily "typical Singaporean". ;)

For many responsible parents all over the world without high education and proper training, their incomes are low and the future seems bleak.

It becomes worrisome when the governments they voted in on the basis of their pre-election promises reneged on these promises and they became worse by being corrupt and enriching themselves while in power. So negative thoughts cloud the simple minds of the voters who think they are helpless and unable to make the desired changes.

Yes the "poet" is poking fun at the Singapore system with Singaporean examples but these "fears" could well be the same of the peoples from other countries.

It awakens the minds of others who are similarly affected and wanting to do something to redress the situation. But most democratic countries will have to wait for another opportunity at the polls, while some may never have the chance to see changes made to their satisfaction. At the extremes, demonstrations, chaos and riots may rule the day and new governments will emerge to take charge. Yes, indeed we are still witnesssing such unprecedented action in the African continent. But will they be able to deliver and change lives for the better? :rolleyes:

I suppose no country in the world is immuned to inflation, which is now sweeping the globe and other shortcomings. No country can claim to have a perfect political system and a perfect government that only cares for its people's welfare. A country may also lack the expertise and resources to organise and implement changes necessary for improving their citizens' lives.

Singapore is no exception. But increasingly Singaporeans are having a bigger say in how the country should be managed. Singaporeans have recently made their voice heard through the polls and the government is listening with greater interest.

It is no mean matter to upgrade Singapore from a third world country to first world status in barely half a century. This must mean the government has done some good. Certainly the art and science of governing can be improved and a higher standard has been called for. Shortcomings and inequalities are reviewed and solutions, though may be imperfect, will have to be found in due course. It will take time but meanwhile the "typical Singaporean" should arm himself with upgrading his skills to prepare for a more demanding future. :D

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    ... until the next General Elections. ;)

Pardon me for extending my head over the Causeway but I don't believe that works anymore in this era - whilst the current Singapore government is doing a good job from then until now, the outlet for dissent through a borderless medium is slowly bringing the imperfections to view, putting it at greater scrutiny than ever before - each fault magnified in the eyes of more demanding citizens.

The 'grateful generation' will eventually give way to the modern group of people who demand greater say in a government dominated throughout the five decades by a group of elite members. As mentioned before, I'm surprised that of all the Singaporeans I know personally bar one out of some seven people are somewhat dissatisfied, with another apathetic about her place in the country's governance. You could probably guess that they are all young professionals between the age of 25 - 36.

Expecting a retort to look at my own backyard, I'll go on the record to say that I find the current opposition to be a good thing to establish a strong check and balance that helps to force the ruling government to improve - gradual change is better than standing still, sayeth the old proverb.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree that time has changed and the younger generation, being better educated than their parents by and large, look at things differently and this is not necessarily bad. That's why they want more opposition MPs to serve as checks and balances for a start.

However, it remains to be seen how effective such an arrangement will become in our Parliament for the next four years. Remember, opposition for opposition's sake is not a solution. It will merely be a waste of time and resources. And an impasse could well lead to undesirable consequences.

I rather see a gradual and smooth transition so that good ideas can be implemented with added contribution from the opposition. Unless of course the government is not heeding the requests, plight and desires of the people. If people's lives can be improved, that would be great.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore back in Malaysia Cup from 2012

[h=3]Jul 13, 2011[/h]By Lee Min Kok

[​IMG] [h=4](L) Douglas Moore, (C) Fandi Ahmad. Our very own soccer legend, Fandi Ahmad is seen holding up the Malaysia Cup which Singapore last won in 1994. -- PHOTO: NP[/h]
    SEVENTEEN years after a Singapore football team last participated in the Malaysia Cup, the Republic has decided to make a return across the causeway.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) signed a memorandum of understanding with the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) at the latter's headquarters in Selangor, announcing a landmark partnership.

It will see a Singapore team - called the Singapore Lions - take part in the Malaysian Super League, Malaysia and FA Cups in 2012.

This team will comprise national players below the age of 23, five players above the age of 23 and will be complemented by the quota of foreign players allowed in accordance with the competition rules.

In turn, a Malaysian team - the Malaysian Tigers - which also comprises mainly Under-23 national players, will join the S-League.

Under the four-year agreement, two other key initiatives were also mooted, which includes an increase in friendly matches between the national teams of the two countries, as well as the birth of a new annual tournament which will see the winners of both leagues do battle over two legs.

Said FAS president Zainudin Nordin: 'There is always a special romance between Singapore and Malaysian football. The key points of this partnership cannot be achieved overnight, but these are positive developments and it's a win-win situation for both parties.'

Attached Files:

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore drafting action plan against *** & labour trafficking

By S Ramesh | Posted: 12 July 2011 2339 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore is currently drafting a National Plan of Action for the country to tackle both *** and labour trafficking.

It is also studying the possibility of future accession to the United Nations Trafficking in Persons Protocol.

These points were made by Singapore's Inter-Agency Taskforce on Trafficking in Persons in response to the announcement that Singapore was upgraded to "Tier 2" from "Tier 2 Watchlist" in the recent US Trafficking in Persons Report 2011.

The taskforce said that as Singapore grows as a hub for travel, tourism and economic activity, it expects to become an increasingly attractive potential destination for human trafficking syndicates.

So the country recognises the need to continually step up efforts in increasing vigilance and responsiveness towards this threat

The taskforce is co-chaired by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

It coordinates anti-trafficking initiatives and policy alignment between government agencies in Singapore.

The taskforce includes representatives from the Singapore Police Force, Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore, Ministry of Community Development, Youth & Sports, Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Attorney-General's Chambers.

The formation of the taskforce underscores the seriousness with which the government views trafficking and aims to improve efforts in tackling this abhorrent international crime.

To fight trafficking, Singapore adopts a 4 'P's strategy aimed at prevention, prosecution, protection and partnership.

This strategy emphasises constructing safeguards against human trafficking, prosecuting perpetrators, protecting victims and cooperating with other governments and civil society to encourage reporting and information sharing

On its Monday's meeting in Singapore with Mr Luis Cdebaca, the US Ambassador-at-Large for Trafficking in Persons Matters, the taskforce said it took the opportunity to clarify factual inaccuracies within the US TIP Report's country narrative on Singapore.

The report had stated that "the government did not prosecute or convict any offenders of labour trafficking during the reporting period".

But Singapore had previously informed the US that it had prosecuted eight labour trafficking cases as reported.

On claims that there were "no criminal prosecutions or convictions of employers or employment agencies who withheld passports of foreign workers", Singapore had informed the US that three employment agencies were prosecuted in 2010 for persistently withholding of workers' passports and fined between S$1,200 and S$2,000.

The Singapore government also investigates complaints of wrongful confinement of workers by repatriation companies.

In 2010, a staff member of a repatriation company was sent to jail for voluntarily causing hurt.

The employers of the foreign workers were given stern warnings for abetment to wrongful restraint.

Singapore stresses that it takes a serious view of crimes related to trafficking in persons and is constantly reviewing laws, policies and enforcement practices to better address the issue.

- CNA/ir

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    What do you love about Singapore?

Posted: 12 July 2011 2059 hrs

SINGAPORE: A short-film competition called ciNE65 that is dedicated to the Singapore story was launched on Tuesday.

Budding filmmakers, both local and foreign, can submit a film no longer than three minutes that captures what they love or find unique about Singapore.

There will also be workshops on film-making. These are meant to help give participants the necessary skills or tips to create the film.

The deadline for entries is September 30. Winning entries will be showcased in November. They will also be submitted for overseas film festivals and competition.

Winners will receive both cash and product prizes.

Actress/comedian Irene Ang , a judge for ciNE65, said: "Instead of hiding behind the computer, and writing online, I think this is something they can put their thoughts into action. They can share a piece of their scene so as to share them with fellow Singaporeans."Details of the competition are available at www.cine65.sg .

- CNA/ck

Attached Files:

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Three Team Singapore athletes selected for Dream 2012 Award

By Tan Yo-Hinn / Sharon See | Posted: 11 July 2011 2141 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Tao Li

SINGAPORE: Three Team Singapore athletes have been selected for the "Dream 2012 Award".

Swimmer Tao Li and table tennis players Isabelle Li and Pang Xuejie - each received S$3,500.

The award is an initiative by the British Chamber of Commerce and the Singapore Sports School.

The school's principal Deborah Tan, received the cheque on behalf of the athletes from the chamber, which has been handing out monetary incentives since 2005 to selected Singapore athletes with the potential to do well at the Olympics.

It was started to mark Britain's successful bid at the 117th International Olympic Committee Session in Singapore in 2006 to host the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

Tao Li will compete in the World Aquatics Championship in Shanghai later this month, but said the focus remains on doing well at next year's London Olympics, where she is aiming for a medal in the 100m butterfly event.

Tao Li said: "I don't feel a lot of pressure on me, but what I want to do is to improve my world ranking and that is just a step for next year's Olympic Games. And whether this time round, I do good or bad, I still got to move on. The big game is the Olympics."

-CNA/ac

Attached Files:

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For those who miss the rivalry ...

Singapore to play in the Malaysia Cup again from next year

[​IMG]
    by Shamir Osman
    04:45 AM Jul 13, 2011

SELANGOR - After a 17-year hiatus, Singapore will play in the Malaysia Cup from next year - to the delight of those who have been pining for a return to the competition's heady days.

Yesterday, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) and the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU), which takes effect next year.

Under the four-year agreement, the Malaysian under-23 side will play in the S-League and Singapore's two cup competitions while its Singapore counterparts will ply their trade in the Malaysian Super League and its two domestic cup tournaments. Each team comprises 25 under-23 players and five seniors, with an option of utilising three or four foreign players depending on the regulations of the respective leagues.

A new competition will pit the S-League champions against the winners of the Malaysian Super League over two legs, while the Singapore Cup winners will play the Malaysia Cup winners at home and away. More international friendlies between the two countries - from the various age-group levels up to the senior national team - are also in store.

The MOU between the FAS and the FAM comes amid a breakthrough in bilateral relations, which was first set in motion in May last year after a meeting between Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his Malaysian counterpart Najib Razak. The two leaders announced after the meeting that an agreement had been reached on outstanding issues concerning the Points of Agreement (POA), breaking a 20-year deadlock. Earlier this month, the POA - which included a land swap deal - was implemented.

FAS president Zainudin Nordin hailed the FAS-FAM agreement as an "important milestone" for both countries. Mr Zainuddin said: "The old on-field rivalry ... has thrilled fans for decades and I'm sure it will continue to do so for years to come."

FAM deputy-president Abdullah Al-Haj added: "We hope to revive the glory days of the Malaysia Cup when Singapore used to play on Malaysian soil ... We love Singapore and we miss the rivalry ... and I hope this opens the door to more collaboration."

Singapore football legend Fandi Ahmad told MediaCorp that the various collaborations under the MoU "will give the interest in the game a big shot in the arm".

He said: "I like to see our national selectors get a bigger pool of players to choose from, so this cooperation can only be good for Singapore football. It opens another avenue to expose our young footballers to competition, and in another country. We've always had a close relationship with Malaysian football."

Courts Singapore chief executive Terry O'Connor - a long-time supporter of Singapore football - reiterated that the higher level of interest in football - as a result of the collaborations - will have a "positive effect" on attendances at S-League matches. In January, Courts had inked a two-year sponsorship deal worth S$1 million with the Young Lions team.

He said: "We got involved ... to help with youth development and the game at the national level, and we are well-placed to achieve this even more now."

Amid excitement over the return of "Malaysia Cup fever", the FAS and FAM acknowledged kinks need to be ironed out, such as scheduling of the respective leagues and logistics involved in housing the teams. To that end, a working committee will be formed.

Match-fixing and a dispute over gate receipts had prompted Singapore to exit the Malaysian League and Malaysia Cup in 1994. FAM general-secretary Azzudin Ahmad believes that, 17 years on, the two countries are better equipped to handle the thorny issues.

He told MediaCorp: "That match-fixing demon hasn't died down, but should there be any attempt against us, we are very much stronger as two federations fighting the same war. We've got our own task force, and we'll see how we can work with the FAS on this."

From next year ...

- A Malaysian team, which will play in the S-League, League Cup and Singapore Cup, will be based here.

- A Singaporean team will play in the Malaysian Super League, Malaysian FA Cup and Malaysia Cup.

- Both teams will comprise under-23 players, five seniors and have the option of fielding foreign players based on the rules of the respective leagues.

- The S-League champions will play the Malaysian Super League champions at home and away while the Singapore Cup winners will also play the Malaysia Cup winners over two legs.

- More international friendlies will be held between the two countries, from youth to senior level.

[​IMG]

Former Singapore internationals Samad Allapitchay (second from left) and Lee Bee Seng (far right) became household names when they played in the Malaysia Cup. PHOTO COURTESY FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF SINGAPORE

#4809 Loh, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I greeted the 'mutual separation' bit with a tinge of sadness when Singapore decided to setup its own football league instead of continuing as part of the Malaysian venture as it seemed to have been a regular thing to see Singapore vs the football associations here.

The return of Singapore to the Malaysia Cup is a throwback to the olden days when some of Asia's best, let alone ASEAN, went head to head in the competition when glory and pride reigned supreme in the minds of the players instead of the monetary rewards and incentives, when players were bank clerks or electricians during the day, fantastic footballers in the evening. Zainal Abidin Hassan, Santokh Singh, Dollah Salleh, Soh Chin Aun, John Hunter, Alan Davidson, Fandi Ahmad, Burhan Abu Samah etc. I actually followed the national football league as feverishly as I did the English competition.

11. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    And how could I forget about Super Mokh - one of Asia's best during his heyday - even the Koreans fear this guy.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Defence institute celebrates 10 years

Jul 13, 2011
    [​IMG] Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen pulling the trigger at a demonstration of technology that can stop a projectile from penetrating a watermelon. -- ST PHOTO: TED CHEN

SOFT armour that hardens on impact with bullets may be able to raise the odds of survival of troops.

The white rubbery material, made from polyvinyl acetate, was showcased at the Temasek Defence Systems Institute (TDSI) and is one of the potential projects that can be used by the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF).

The institute, a joint collaboration between the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the United States Naval Postgraduate School, celebrated its 10th anniversary yesterday with a ceremony and exhibition at the NUS Shaw Foundation Alumni House. The event was attended by Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.

Since it was set up in 2001, more than 1,000 people from the SAF, US military and defence-related agencies like the Defence Science Technology Agency and ST Engineering have graduated from TDSI with master's degrees.

About a third of the 24 projects completed by students at TDSI have been operationalised in the Singapore Armed Forces.

The institute offers 18-month master's degree courses in defence technology and systems.

Attached Files:

#4812 Loh, Jul 12, 2011
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Soon: Budget flights to Delhi and Mumbai

Jul 13, 2011
    By Karamjit Kaur

IndiGo, India's second biggest domestic carrier, will offer daily Singapore-Delhi flights from Sept 15. -- PHOTO: INDIGO

AIR fares to the key Indian cities of Delhi and Mumbai are set to tumble by more than half as the first budget carrier muscles in on the routes.

IndiGo, India's second biggest domestic carrier, will offer daily Singapore-Delhi flights from Sept 15.

It starts its runs to and from Mumbai the following month, and will add Chennai and Bangalore by early next year.

At a Singapore press conference on Tuesday, IndiGo president Aditya Ghosh said he is confident it will expand, rather than cannibalise, the market.

The Singapore-Delhi sector, covered in a 5 1/2-hour flight, is now served by India's full-service carriers Air India and Jet Airways, and Singapore Airlines; Singapore-Mumbai is served by five airlines, including Australia's Qantas and India's Kingfisher Airlines.

With strong ties between the two countries and a growing expatriate population on both sides, potential exists for growth in the Singapore-India air travel market, Mr Ghosh said, adding: 'I really, truly believe that the market will expand, so I'm not sure that we're looking at eating market share from anyone.'

Read the full story in Wednesday's edition of The Straits Times.

Attached Files:

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commerative coins to mark Singapore's 46 years of independence

Posted: 13 July 2011 1206 hrs

SINGAPORE : The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) has launched a new set of commemorative coins to mark Singapore's 46 years of independence.

The coin design draws inspiration from the 2011 National Day Parade (NDP) theme "Majulah! The Singapore Spirit", MAS said in a statement.

The limited mintage, which comprises a S$5 silver proof coin and a S$2 cupro-nickel proof-like coin, will be issued on July 27.

The S$5 coin comes in a unique octagonal shape, the first of its kind in Singapore. The obverse of the coin bears the Singapore Arms with the year 2011.

It is 40.7 millimetres in diameter and is made up of 31.1 grammes of 999 fine silver. Only 5,000 pieces will be minted.

The S$2 coin has a 38.7-millimetre diameter and 6,000 pieces will be issued.

The coins are also available in a premium set and they form part of the mintage for the individual coins, said MAS.

The official NDP 2011 logo is at the upper centre of the coin, while a mosaic formation of Singapore's coastline by performers holding coloured cards on the floating platform occupies the bottom half of the coin.

"The Singapore Spirit" tagline for the 2011 NDP theme runs across the mosaic formation, while the diversity of people is depicted through human silhouettes at the centre of the coin.

The newly opened Helix Bridge and the Esplanade Outdoor Theatre are also incorporated in the design to portray the surroundings of the NDP venue.

- CNA/al

Attached Files:

15. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Why 46th and not the half-century?

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well now you have another chance to relive those "golden" days and perhaps from this renewed interest we can find another Mokhtar and another Fandi. :D

But I hate those dangerous night trips by bus back and forth to KL. :rolleyes:

Maybe AirAsia will look into this. :)

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I suppose we want to celebrate in advance - when we can...

And the fact that this year marks the beginnings of closer ties with MAS after long years of separation... ;)

#4817 Loh, Jul 12, 2011
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Crocodile's $1m deal for young Singaporean paddlers

Jul 13, 2011

By Lin Xinyi

STTA president Lee Bee Wah said: 'This shows our commitment to groom local-born talent.' -- ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

A NEW youth table tennis tournament will soon be an annual fixture in the local sports calendar after the Singapore Table Tennis Association (STTA) inked a $1 million cash sponsorship deal with Crocodile International on Wednesday.

The 10-year deal - the largest sponsorship for the STTA - will ensure that the Crocodile Challenge Cup for primary schools paddlers takes place till 2020.

The inaugural edition will be held from Nov 10-13.

It will feature six events - boys' and girls' Under-8, Under-10 and Under-12 singles - boasting a prize purse of $18,000. Most of the prize money will go to the players' schools and used to further develop the sport there.

Each school is allowed to send two players per event and they must be Singaporeans.

STTA president Lee Bee Wah said: 'This shows our commitment to groom local-born talent.'

Attached Files:

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sota in visual arts venture with Louis Vuitton

Jul 14, 2011

By Leow Si Wan

The School of the Arts (Sota) is partnering a French luxury label to develop a visual arts programme for its students. -- ST PHOTO: LIM SIN THAI

THE School of the Arts (Sota) is partnering a French luxury label to develop a visual arts programme for its students.

Louis Vuitton (LV) will fund the initiative, expected to benefit at least 60 of Sota's visual arts students over three years. It is putting in a six-figure sum but declined to say exactly how much.

The programme, starting next year, will see local and international artists from a wide network of designers holding seminars and workshops which could be open to all students and the public. In addition, about 20 visual arts students each year will get to work more closely with an invited artist and attend relevant design festivals overseas. Their work may also be exhibited at Sota's art gallery and a space set aside for them in LV's upcoming store in Marina Bay Sands.

Mr Jean-Baptiste Debains, the president of LV Asia Pacific, said Sota will be given free rein to decide who to invite and the details of the programme.

Sota is a pre-tertiary specialised arts school offering a six-year course for students between the ages of 13 and 18. This is LV's first such partnership with a school in the region.

Mr Debains said that in South-east Asia, Singapore is becoming more important to LV's business, adding that the company felt it would be 'more relevant to contribute to the community through such a programme'.

Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times

Attached Files:

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Students to dress up city with art works

By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 13 July 2011 1517 hrs

SINGAPORE: Nine plots of land in the city area have been set aside for local tertiary students to express their creativity in line with the 2011 NDP theme "Majulah! The Singapore Spirit". The art works will be installed by the students this weekend.

The "City Colours: Paint the Town Red and White" project is organised by the Information, Communication and the Arts Ministry (MICA) for the second year running.

This year, a total of nine schools are taking part.

Three schools - ITE College East, ITE College West and the School of The Arts - are taking part for the first time.

The City Colours installations will be on display till August 31.

All nine installations will also be on Facebook from July 19.

A panel of judges will select the top three prizes, including the "Most Engaging Online" display.

In conjunction with City Colours, MICA said it will also be engaging secondary school students through a separate project.

They will dress up parts of East Coast Park under the mentorship of Republic Polytechnic.

- CNA/cc

Attached Files: