The next-generation plastic shuttlecock

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Cogarhen, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ace9988

ace9988 Regular Member

i still have a tube of that lol bought it for 1 pound and the shuttles were BRAND NEW but didnt last very long, 2-3 sessions and all were done

2. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

Such an important point yet eluded all, till now!

/thread! :D

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    The above could be said about all plastic shuttles though, what is of interest is whether the NS300 narrows that gap between plastic and feather performance.

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Supposedly, yes.. for "beginners or intermediate players, specifically players in middle-school and below" because Mizuno says it is four times more durable than standard feather shuttle cocks ( if used by beginners ? ) and it supposedly "narrows that gap between plastic and feather performance".

Four times more durable than standard feather shuttle cocks if used by beginners but what if hard hitters use it. 1~2x durability but with plastic-ish performance?

5. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    As Mizuno said, the NS300 is for "beginners or intermediate players". Definately not suitable for sort of TC700, AT700, SW35 users.

Mizuno did not design it that way. It is simply because the current technology is the bottleneck. I would say this is a milestone of shuttlecock technology advancement.

Why don't we stop complaining and wait for the next big thing?

6. BJOOI

BJOOI Regular Member

marketing
    I used NS300 before. The flight is consistent but i dont like the sound when hitting the shuttle. It sounds like the string has snapped. It can last for few games (21 pt).

7. aloy66

aloy66 Regular Member

So, besides the sound, comparing with YY Mavis 300, would you consider it a decent shuttle?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    did u save the base cork/skirt assembly?

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is no such thing as a good plastic shuttle despite big claims of a new generation of plastics that play like feathers. No plastics play close to feathers; and that includes this so-called new generation of plastics from Mizuno.
    Plastics are so bad they bring up a generation of new badminton players who cannot execute the correct stroke-making techniques.
    North America is probably the biggest market for plastic shuttles. It also has perhaps the lowest badminton standard. The two are like twins. Plastics kill the beautiful game.
    Dont let misguided people or advertisements lead you to a fool's paradise.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

here some facts u keep ignoring, good players are good because they're good, regardless what kind of shuttles they use. A 'C' feather player will play like a 'C' plastic player. Same goes for level A, B, D, E players as well. North amercians play more plastic because badminton isn't big here so more of us are beginners who play for recreational reason and do not want to to pro, not because plastic shuttles are holding those players back.

It is plastic shuttle manufacturers who claim their plastic play like feathers for marketing purpose. We plastic players never claim plastic play like feathers. In fact, plastic players are more adapted to play both feather and plastic. It is the feather players like u who become hopeless when playing plastic shuttles. Who is more skillful?

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You are invalidating your own arguments.. first you say player skill are not depending on shuttle type used, then you turn around to say feather players are "hopeless when playing plastic shuttles".. I think you are contradicting yourself.. That said, I do agree that plastic shuttle use in west/us is a symptom not a cause of poor badminton culture and players lack of ambition to play the game competively..

/Twobeer

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes and no.
    feather players technically can play or adapt to plastic playing at their feather playing level but mentally they don't want to so they end up playing poorly with plastic. IE they would not put in as much effort in plastic game play than in feather game play.

13. ya4dang1

ya4dang1 Regular Member

Programmer
    I play both. There is only 1 situation I play plastic, outdoor. It seems that plastic is less sensitive to wind.

But other than that, I feel reluctant to use plastic because it net plays and drop shot s*cks. I don't think players can learn good net plays and drop shot skill if they only play plastic.

14. BJOOI

BJOOI Regular Member

marketing

Yes, it's a decent shuttle but i personally like feather shuttlecocks. Maybe we are more used to it feathers. I've never used Mavis 300 but i assumed that it's much faster as when we hit the plastic shuttle, it will shrink, thus making it to fly much faster.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Synthetic shuttlecocks will for sure replace natural shuttlecocks one day

IMHO, synthetic shuttlecocks will for sure replace natural feather shuttlecocks one day, whether we like it or not.

Currently, natural feathers are used because the supply of feathers are still meeting the demand from our Badminton players.

Imagine, if Badminton players (worldwide) can be increased by 10 folds, then surely we will have to use synthetic shuttlecocks.

Forget about the feel of the shuttlecock for players on one side of the net. If players on both sides of the net are using the same shuttlecock, it is should be fair. If players on one side of the net don't like it, it is just bad luck for them.

What I am saying is that players on any side of the net cannot complain when the same shuttlecock is used for both sides.

Therefore, we cannot say that they must play with feather shuttlecocks when playing against us. And our opponent(s) cannot say that we must play with synthetic shuttlecocks when playing against them.

If both sides are to use the same shuttlecock, how can we say that it is unfair to just one side?

#55 chris-ccc, May 2, 2010
    Last edited: May 2, 2010
  16. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I agree, one day I think it's inevitable that we'll be able to develop a synthetic shuttle that performs at least as well as a feather shuttle with equal or better durability at an equal or better price. When that day comes, I can't see that we'll stay with feather shuttles for much longer.

As for being fair because the same shuttle is used on both sides of the net, I'm not sure that I agree completely with that. Whilst the players are both hitting the same shuttle, it doesn't mean that it's the shuttle they normally practice with. This isn't really a factor for the pros or even at most amateur tournaments but in away club matches, sometimes it's really noticeable. When playing badminton for my club, I have noticed that the quality of the shuttles you use and the courts you play on varies hugely from place to place. In club matches, I've played with everything from top quality feather shuttles to rubbishy Yonex Mavis 10 and some Inflight nylon shuttles that were no better. You would assume that the clubs that played with these shuttles during matches practised with them normally. My club plays with decent feather shuttles (formerly Inflight and Yonex, now Carlton) and we wouldn't find out what we'd be playing with in away matches until we got on court and knocked up. Practising with a particular shuttle when you opponents haven't can give you a slight advantage. If the shuttle is the correct speed and both players have played with it before then neither side is at a disadvantage but in some cases, the choice of shuttle can play in to one side's hands.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A player may or may not perform well in certain conditions

It is true to say that we all have different preferences. And we perform better when certain conditions suit us better.

Other examples are;
    * Different court lighting
    * Different floor surface
    * Different heat/temperature of hall
    * Different humidity
    * Different noise levels
    * Different draught
    * etc......

So a player may or may not perform well in any one or more of the above conditions.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

to add to c-ccc list,
    * different back wall color
    * different ceiling color
    * different placement position of the poles.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Plastic shuttle will come of age only when high quality goose feather shuttlecocks can be made by a form of dna "breeding" in a machine or lab. Using plastics as raw material is a dead end. Just find a way to breed a true feather shuttle in the lab and then pass it down to the industry.

20. Carbonlist

Carbonlist Regular Member

Student
    i absolutely agree with Taneepak.