Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    hahaha... plenty covered...i guess almost all ?? btw, i didn't go thru all, just too 'sick' to read on other people's so GOOD attitude... :mad::mad:

not sure this in the 'list'....

the moment you step up for warm -up, they hit continuosly long and high shots to 'test' you...

boy,are they in for a shock when i replied.......:D:D

#361 T-maker, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    OH.....MY.......GOD.......the Initiation would be enough for me to buy about 500 arcsaber 8DXs.....and maybe restring each of them at least 20 times

3. baddykid1

baddykid1 Regular Member

I hate nothing about badminton! It is my life

4. HDoan

HDoan Regular Member

Student
    I hate when the shuttle is between both sides of the court under the net and as you approach to pick it up the other person gets there and flings it at you.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i don't know if anyone has mentioned or experienced this before, but i experienced this a couple days ago:
    trying to play in a new place, a basketball gym with an array of fixtures galore hanging down from the ceiling, playing courts much smaller (width and length at least 33% smaller) than regulation size courts, all the lines barely visible to the eyes (if not almost blending in w/the same color as the floor) and uneven lights.....normal clears or even pushes would go long, a shuttle that seemed to go out landed in because the difficulty of discerning the lines, some lobs or clears would hit the fixtures up above.......the only good thing is that it's FREE to play..:eek:

6. vorxaw

vorxaw Regular Member

Let's lighten up this hate thread with a little good news. I don't know if it's just in Vancouver, but I hope it's a growing trend. Badminton is getting more respect.
    Over the last year, everyone that I have mentioned I play badminton to have been quite impressed, whether they play tennis/squash or nothing. They either say they love badminton and play it, or they don't play it because it's way too intense, hard on their knees or too quick and hence only play tennis now lol.

edit: Forgive me for going off topic, so I will add one thing I hate...
    I'm not too fond of beginners with a whole bunch of really expensive equipment. Especially when they look at their 250 dollar racket in disgust every time they mis-hit, as if it was the racket's fault. Although sometimes, the more expensive their racket, the more I furtively enjoy their frustration. ;)

#366 vorxaw, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    What I disliked about badminton in my personal point of view is not about the game but certain people whom I played with every week.

Some players just cant take defeat in a graceful manner. Its either they blame their partners, equipments or they would come up with certain lame excuses. The situation was make worse if the winning side was a younger pair. These losing seniors would end up with sour faces and would end the session without further communicating with the rest of the group.

When come to think about it, its not only happened in badminton. In fact its human nature.

I witnessed one particular incident involved the great Xiong Guo Bao playing singles againts 2 amateur players (1 vs 2) about two months ago in an invitational tournament held in KL M.B.A, it was a one-off game and he was leading 14-11 with service on hand when he conceded a walk-over citing exhaustion. For those who were watching, they knew he was simply being professional. What a sight to behold!

I wish I could be like him too.:)

#367 Aspire, Jul 16, 2010
  8. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

It is very true, a friend of mine who is really good at badminton (age group multiple-winner as a junior at national level) switch to tennis citing it is too hard on the knees (hinted a year ago of a possible switch to tennis); possibly because of too many high jump smashes:D.

Lol, quite the opposite in my experience, people with regular rackets would look disgusted at their rackets when playing badly (implying that the racket did it for them) and people with top notch rackets seems not to notice how bad they are playing:D.

#368 RSLvictorSOTX, Jul 16, 2010
  9. vorxaw

vorxaw Regular Member

That's why I play badminton completely emotionless. I never yell after a bad shot or great smash; I look the same after win or loss. Some of my partners really hate me for that, looks like I lack intensity or something... They have a point, but I can't help it lol

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I always play with passion, if I play a good shot, I will let you know about it, but usually I just do this against higher level opponents, if I am playing against younger members, then I will obviously tone it down. I don't do anything though if I do a bad shot, it gives information away, to your opponent if you scream and shout, so I conceel that information.

But always I can accept defeat graciously, unless I feel I have been cheated and nothing has been done about it.

11. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    The only thing I hate 'bout badminton is...............................the moment I should stop playing an return to homeworks... :(:crying::(:eek::p:mad::eek:

12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    You couldn't please everyone though. I would say you simply have control towards your emotion which is good to your game.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..forgot couple more things: the color of the walls @ the background which completely reduces any chance of reading the flight of the shuttle until sometimes it's already on the side of our court..:(
    Besides being able to play for FREE, it also has Air Condition and it doesn't even affect the flight of the shuttles...

#373 ctjcad, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  14. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    Lucky you.... :p:p

15. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    I hate how some people make fun of me for high perspiration and my need for fluids, in tournaments, i can drink up to 7 or 8 bottles of water.....

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i believe this is the only facility where i've played that is both FREE to play and has A/C without having the draft encumbering the flight shuttle (esp. in this hot summer weather)...just too bad the other factors trump those 2 factors..

17. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    not sure if any you guys got this 'type' of people....:confused:

i knew at least 2 ...mebbe more, can't re-call...

we talked about work and so on, and i brought up baddie.. cos , i'm looking for extra players (previously i was the org ).....

so,they say , "YES"... they play too... so i invited them to 'join' me..:D:D

they turned up... then after a few sessions, i asked them, how you guys felt about tis group? you wanna be long term ?

if yes, then , the cost will be so and so.... sharing basis n blah blah blah...

the next thing you know .... they MIA forever....:mad::mad:

18. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Just came back from baddie and have 1 incident to share. This is pertaining my previous post on those people who simply can't take defeat graciously. Sorry as this is going to take up some place. The group I joined today wasn't my regular group as I seldom play on Thursday but upon a friend's request I obliged. I must admit their standard is below average and because of this they are prone to challenges by the neighbors. As it is, a young and arrogant pair came over and wanted a "friendly". My friend accepted the challenge and asked me to partner him. I agreed and for your info my friend can't even do a proper service kind of player... and the match ended 21-19 in favour of our opponents. I was almost exhausted covering for my friend. As I was catching my breath after the match, one of the same guy again came over and challenge me for a game of singles in a rather arrogant manner. At first I declined because I was already feeling tired but judging from the way he reacted when I said no (you are scared to play me) kind of thing I took up the challenge. As I walked into the court I told my self to play a good game and forget about the tiredness. I played ok and was leading 14-2 at one stage when fatigue begin to build up. I slowed down a lot and the game ended 21-15 in my favour. His mates were watching the game. I knew if my stamina was good enough he wouldn't have taken more than 10 points (sorry if I sounded arrogant too) from the game! I walked over to shake his hand and went to a corner to warm down. Again to my surprised, he came over again and you wouldn't believe what he said to me: Are you gonna come here next week?! Make sure you show up......! So guys you tell me what kind of player he is. I was angered by his remarks and his continuous "kiasu" behaviour that led me to arranged for a friendly with 5 tubes of shuttle as stake there and then. I told him there aren't any problem on my team and you just need to nod your head and the deal is on. He was taken aback, walk back to his mates for a brief discussion and came back telling me they need a week's time to confirmed the matter. LOL. As such he asked to see him next Thursday on the matter and I said no matter rain or shine I will see you next Thursday. As for now I am eagerly waiting for next Thursday to come and I intend to raise the stake on him once again... for real.

P.S My apology if my behavior offended anyone.

19. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    LOL you did well

These are arrogant guys, they aren't mature enough to understand what is gentleman playing and fair play...

20. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    I believed so judging by their age. They still have a long way to go man.