MP99 Replacment

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by spy007z, Apr 17, 2012.

1. spy007z

spy007z Regular Member

I am just wondering if you guys know any racket that play and feel close to a Yonex MP99 racket.

I was in love with MP99 but it is hard to get now and even I can find one, it is very expensive.

2. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Check out my thread "What to replace the Yonex MP99 with? Shop recommended Voltric 80 is quite head heavy" - http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...op-recommended-Voltric-80-is-quite-head-heavy.

I have found the Yonex Nanoray 700RP to feel even balance and stiff like the MP99 was. Still have one aged MP99 left but will be playing with the 700RP from now on.

Others have suggested Arcsaber 8DX but I haven't had the opportunity to try one, the smaller control head shape that the Arcsaber series have didn't appeal to me. Another I was considering was the Victor Bravesword 10, or perhaps the Bravesword LYD edition. But again hard to say from just reading others reviews, rather than actually trying them.

#2 Zapirian, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. spy007z

spy007z Regular Member

Thanks Zapirian. I actually tried a 700PR once and found that I couldn't smash as hard as with the MP99. May be I am just not use to it or I am just getting old =(.

4. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Then see if you can try the Arcsaber 8DX. Fine it hard to take the Yonex charts and ratings seriously. Will always be trying out or getting user information before buying in the future. I'd have suggested the FX instead but know its flex rating is less stiff than the RP.

5. spy007z

spy007z Regular Member

Thanks again. Right now I am leaning toward the 700PR since I have tried the racket and although I cound't smash as hard, the overall feel and controll is good.

I think buying a racket that I can get my hands on to try first is a smarter choice. I wish I can find a 8DX to try before I commit the purchase.

6. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Was the 700RP strung with a similar string to your MP99? Might find a different string would make it's smash feel more like the MP99. Kinda hard to judge with different strings at different tensions as well.
    Otherwise if you live in a large city in Canada you could put out a request on here to see if there is someone else in a club in your city that has a racquet that would let you come to their club and have a hit with the racquet? Tough when you can't try before you buy.

7. spy007z

spy007z Regular Member

You are right. The string is actaully @ a higher tension on the 700RP.

By reading your thread, seems you have been using your 700RP for a while now. How does it compare to MP99?

8. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Well, they do say these things are very personal. I'd been using the VT80 for a few months and was just not getting used to the extra head heavy balance, so I didn't go from MP99 to 700RP directly. Had two sessions of 3 hours with the 700RP and I'm a lot happier with it that I was with the VT80. I feel back hands, flick shots and drives are easier to reach (and a few times last Sunday, over reach... oops) the back of the court with than I remember with the MP99.

Might have a hit with my last remaining MP99 on (although I think the last re-stringing was with BG65Ti at a lower tension) Sunday if you still haven't settled on a racquet choice. Will post some impressions after playing a little with them both back to back. Will try some smashes and see if I feel the MP99 does offer more power.

9. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account
  10. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member