Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Oh Really, I wonder how come such irrelevant rules prevails.. Anyhow , thanks for your information. Hey Rahul, i have one more doubt. I have read in another article which mentioned that if saina crosses one more hurdle(they meant the quarterfinal match against ratnachok in french open 2012), she will reach worldno.2 rank . This is totally contradict to the previous article which i mentioned before. If she needs to cross 85,000 mark which li xuerui is having now, she needs 5000 more points from her current ranking. But if only 3000 points are given, how come she achieves that feat. Sorry to disturb you. But no other go..Hee hee. I am new to this badminton world. i am wondering whether i could understand the rules correctly. Expecting your reply.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I guess, since LXR is not participating at the French Open, a week from now she will lose the 7800 points she won there last year...

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Oh.. Is it..? This is another one rule i am getting now.. I did not even thought that li xuerui will lose if she did not participate.. Great rules!!!! lol

4. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    Actually, even if Saina wins this tournament she wont get to No.2. Here's why

Scores that will be removed:
    Saina: 6050 (Last year's French open score was not considered for Saina's Ranking and this is the lowest score she has among the weightage points)
    LXR: 7800 (Since this score was achieved more than 52 weeks ago hence will not be considered for ranking and will be removed from the ranking)

Scores that will be added:
    Saina: 9200 (if she wins French open SS)
    LXR: 6579.8 (Highest score among the Weightage points)

Scores after French Open SS (If Saina Wins let alone reaching SF):
    Saina : 80361.74 -6050+9200 = 83511.70.
    LXR : 85926.7 -7800+6579.8 = 84706.5

I sincerely hope I am wrong but this is what I know about how the ranking points are calculated.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It's pretty simple, actually, and it applies to everyone!

The rankings are calculated based on performance and results over the past 52 weeks. That's all.
    So if on the first week (i.e., almost a year ago) you gained 5000 points for your performance, then a week from now, those 5000 points will not figure in your rankings calculation.

The French Open is held always on the 42nd week of the year. That is now. When the 43rd week of the year becomes the present, the French Open points for everyone will get wiped off their rankings calculation.

Therefore, to stay in the game of rankings, you need to make sure you play as much as possible. If you skip a couple of big tournaments that you have won earlier, it will affect your rankings quite a lot.

Unless of course you are LD or LCW and are always winner or runner-up - then you can afford to sleep a little more! :p

If you want to understand ranking and how it works better, here is some reading for you:
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=364323&tid=1

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Summarized in such a polite, educational and non-finger-wagging manner. That's our cobalt for you. :D

7. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    The rules are good but just a couple of tournament and it effects the ranking points heavily, like for e.g. if Wang Yihan is out of injury in the HK and China Open its highly likely that Saina and LXR would overtake her....

8. gopalprasad

Software Architect

You arent wrong dude even if you hope so :) its China & HK Open which would decide the top seed if WYH isnt amongst 1/2 and LXR and SN are those they both would overtake WYH even if its a 10000 ranking points difference amongst them right now

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Thankyou very much friend.. Wonderful message...

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks for taking such a pain to explain me.. Thankyou very very much my dear !!!!

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah, one of my fundamental rules of existence is: don't piss off a scorpion! :D

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

... but it makes sense to engage in conversation with someone who is mad ;):D

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ...and bad!!! :D:D
    Y'see, "mad" is a relative thing (not mine! :p ) but there's nuthin' relative about having a pissed-off scorpion on your tail... or a mad scorpion, for that matter.... :p

What am I talking about? :confused::eek::p

14. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Need to play 10 tournaments in the past 52 weeks since only best 10 is counted so if you can achieve success in those 10 graded tournaments you can take a vacation all the remaining time and still have the earned ranking points :)

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Best comedian award goes to Mr.Cobalt.. Lol

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Correct, and that is what some top players do very successfully. :D But you cannot always guarantee that you will be standing on the final or semi-final day at all the big events, and that is why you cover the bases by picking up some easy points (and staying in shape, seeing the world, meeting sponsorship obligations etc) with less fancied tournaments as well.

Besides, no self-respecting player would be left out of the team events, (TC, UC, SC, AG, SEAG, CG, EC, etc etc) and that is why when all's said and done, "vacation time" is mostly just wishful thinking for anyone in the top 20-25... :(

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Here are some different calculations:

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/10/25/after-winning-denmark-open-saina-moves-to-3rd-spot/

Excerpt:

...Chinese player Li Xuerui is currently at 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] spot with 85926.7 points but she is not playing the French Open as well as Bitburger Open, and that will affect her ranking points. She was the runner up at French Open 2011 and defending champion of Bitburger Open, so she will lose 2170.2 ranking points and her new ranking points will be 83756.5.

On other hand, Saina Nehwal can benefit from the French Open. Saina is currently at 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] spot with 80361.7 points and if she wins French Open then she will get 3150 points and her ranking points will be 83511.7, which is just 245 less than Li Xuerui.

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Eager to watch china open .. Lets hope saina to meet li xuerui. But the way li is playing, i hope juliane is enough to finsih her or p v sindhu or mitani whoever meets her in the first or second rounds, definitely she will lose her game. Having tons of confidence after beating her before, sindhu may pull her in such a way , she may lose even in straight sets.. Lets hope this in china open to occur..

19. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Once Saina is done with the sport she should be made Indian High Commissioner in China

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Hee hee...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.