ANNOUNCEMENT: Ashaway Improves its ZyMax Line!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by DinkAlot, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

A little bit on the Zymax 65: I got the red one so I can only comment on that really.

Stringing impressions:
    - I find that the string coating is very similar to the 2nd generation Zymax for example the 67 which is somewhat rough like a super fine emery board and is not waxy at all. This makes weaving during stringing a bit uncomfortable compared to usual but negligible. One can imagine that this texture will BITE at the shuttle every time it comes in contact with it.

- The 65 literally does not stretch at all under tension (maybe I wasnt pulling at high tensions 24x26), and if it does, it is just ever so slightly.

Initial feel after stringing:
    - String bed feels very repulsive with quite a stiff bed, high pitched metallic sounds as expected from a thin string when bounced against the hand or any other objects.

Playability:
    - It is very easy power right from the first hit, especially power shots. And as expected, the string bites onto the shuttle upon contact and maintains a lot of control from it after as well.

- Shots were crisp and sounds were high pitched as expected. Surprisingly, it did not have the WOW factor like the 62 had on me when I first tried the 62. The 65 performed well in all areas but maybe I was so addicted to the 62 whereas the feeling of the 65 was blunted.

- Medium to Medium Hard feeling.

- Lastly, I find it very hard to control my serve with the 65. I do not know why but maybe its the repulsion from the string coupled with the bite of the shuttle. I had to make adjustments to my serve.

- Also, durability wise, it is definitely a step forward with the 65 compared to the 62. It took quite a beating but still broke at the top left corner when was going for a 50-50 jump out smash but heck, most strings would snap anyways if it was that particular shot.

Summary: out of a 10 scale
    Power / Repulsion: 9.5
    Hitting Sound: 9.0
    Control / Bite of the shuttle: 9.0 (too much bite really for my liking)
    Shock Absorption: 9.0 (Hits were crisp and clean, there was no lingering vibrations after)
    Durability: 7.5 (Still breaks from mishits, but hey, what do you expect from a thin string?)

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Please read the first few pages of this thread.

3. eric0630

eric0630 Regular Member

After reading the whole thread, it seems like white for durability(less moving around) and red for speed. I am still a bit confusing, does anyone actually try all the colours?

4. redskins009

redskins009 Regular Member

Biochemist
    So I just got a shipment from Ashaway yesterday containing a reel of Yellow Z65, Z62 and a few packages of 67 and 70 in various colors. So far I got all the colors covered for the 65 and I found that stringing the Z65 no matter what color is pretty challenging because the string is so soft, so if you are doing a two string method, at tension greater than 28lbs, its pretty tough with all the shared holes. Anyways, comparing all the Z65 colors...well, i found out that the red is a bit more rought in term of feel than the white or the yellow. That is not saying the white or yellow is not rought to begin with. But I have to say the zymax strings are so tough...like i have a hard time cutting it with my scissor at times. And what I noticed after playing on the Red string for over three weeks is that the crossing between the main and the cross...the string tends to rub a bit, hence the color would turn into a pinkish red on the string bed. I think its a combination of the constant contact and the time play on it. Anyways, only thing i can tell you about my Z65 red is that it is still alive, I didnt break the string yet, and it did not fray up or show sign of breakage yet. However I noticed after 3 weeks that it might drop a pound or two in tension.

Since I also bought z62, z67, and z70 in different colors, I will try to test them out and let you guys know more about them later.

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Ordered 5 packs of Zymax65 from Stringer's World. Worked out to be ~USD5.60 per pack including shipping, not too bad. Hopefully MBS can stock it soon and be cheaper than that.

6. yeoldeman

yeoldeman Regular Member

NHS
    Happy day today - finally got my hands on my first reel of Z65!! So should be able to string up one of the racquets and test it out soon. The Z65 is marginally redder than the red BG66UM, but similar to the Z67. Hope you guys/gals out there get your Z65 soon too! IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    damn that's a lot of reels. are you running a stringing business?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and this must be the cousin from the dark side...

DSC02485.jpg

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I need some red Ultimax. When can you buy it in a packet???

I see a BG66U vs ZM65 shoot out coming soon! :)

Now, that means I'm gunna need two identical rackets, so do I get another C7, MX60, BS11 or TSF500......or do I buy two TSF300Ti or BSLYD???

;)

#289 Maklike Tier, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  10. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Tried the new Zm67 in Yellow. Feels thicker and rougher compared to old Zm67 in ivory. Shots ahve a nice boomy south and string bed very stable. Waiting on a some Zm65 samples before deciude which reel to go for.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I would suggest you to buy BS LYD, therefore you could give us more feedback & comparison :D :p

All the best on your next racket purchase..

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Japan, i think. AK came back from AE and got some red ones. he was showing off his 33lbs stringjob on it. i hit a few with it and it actually felt OK. the tone is incredible!

well, if you are doing that, then i will do a ZM62 vs ZM65 one then.

13. yeoldeman

yeoldeman Regular Member

NHS
    No... I don't regard it as a business, but as a keen hobby. I string for myself and any of the other players or their friends at the 2 main clubs I play at. As you and the other stringers here will appreciate it's really quite engrossing and I get a good kick out of seeing happy clients. It all started 2 years ago after i'd finally decided to take the plunge and say goodbye to all the indifferent and unsatisfactory string jobs I was getting everytime I sent my racquets away for restringing. It got to the point that I was seriously considering taking my racquets back to KL for restringing everytime I was planning to go back to the motherland! But UK airport security being what it is, there would have been little hope of taking racquets into the plane as hand luggage, so that's how the story unfolded...! Anyway, it's all good fun and I get to spend my occasional Saturday evenings stringing racquets with the TV in the background, the kids on the PCs, and the Mrs doing the ironing or crossword. What can be more fulfilling than being in the hub of the family?? Yes, a stringing machine can keep one on the straight and narrow - absolutely no chance of adultery or drunken disorderly behaviour in public - when you're tied up with mains and crosses!

14. yeoldeman

yeoldeman Regular Member

NHS

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    btw, that's a SW35 with ZM65@29lbs. i might cut the string on my other SW35 tonight and laced some ZM62 at the same tension on it. the Babolat Finebraid Micro on that SW35 seems too dead at the current 28lbs that it was strung at, that string feels better at lower tension, way to stiff for what i can muster.

16. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

is it missing a string on the top cross? just looks weird.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

As a SW35 user, I can assure it isn't:) although when you look at it, it does seem strange

18. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'd probably snap that thing once a week :\

I'd add one or two more crosses to that pattern :p

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Victor pattern calls for 23 crosses. i usually only do 21. feels more lively that way and i can restring it if it breaks.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Indeed, sometimes I have seen it done with the additional cross string on the top (and even on the bottom)

So yeah, it just depends, there really isn't a wrong way:)