Mixed Doubles tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by josephdk, Feb 6, 2013.

1. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

I was playing mixed doubles the other day but I lost really badly. It was the first time I felt that frustrated. Im going to play another one coming up so what should I do. She stands at the net rarely moving back but goes for the drop shots and kills. Should I smash a lot, play drops from the back, crosscourt a lot?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Her job is to guard the net and play drops so that the opponents have to lift. Your job is to cover mid to back court. If your opponent female is also playing front, then your shots should be to the mid court sides. Should have some pace on your shots so that they can pass her. Also aim to push her to the back and wait for a weak shot to attack.

3. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Ok, thanks for the advice and the fast reply.

4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Push everything to mid-court. (especially) serve return is important to be aggressive on and concentrate on the right placement, I'd say it's probably the most important shot in mixed. If you have pace, like visor says, she'll have to be very good to kill a flac push. You can also try to concentrate to get the female to back court, that's usually a very effective strategy. Try to serve long to the female most of the time and lift/lob/clear at her until she misses...

#4 lordrogue, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

How would I push her to the back if she refuses to budge from her net position?

6. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

Serving long is the main example... I already explained that. Of course there are other ways, but it's probably the most simple way to make her stay in the back.

#6 lordrogue, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

Look for an opportunity when they're slightly out of optimal formation, then she's the one that gets the clear to the back. Of course, the main tactic of xd is to play tactical shots that'll mess up their formation. This'll come from experience and choosing the right placement of shots.

8. phili

phili Regular Member

In level double you tend to play many shots through the middle. In mixed doubles this is deadly because the lady ist waiting there most of the time.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

if she's always at the net then she is making it easy for you to attack the spaces down the sides!

10. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

With respect to the previous posters, I must disagree with some of the advice given.

When a doubles pair (regardless of ladies, mens or mixed) is attacking, the primary responsibility of the non-hitting partner is to intercept loose drives and lifts. Unless you are an elite level player, you cannot do this on or ahead of the service line. If your lady refuses to 'leave the T', then the only viable option left to you is the straight drop. If you straight-smash, decent opposition will x-court drive through her and into the space in the opposite rear corner. As amleto has already stated, clearing with your partner on the T allows decent opposition to exploit either sideline. X-court leaves you vulnerable to straight pushes/drives/drops or smashes.

When a doubles pair (regardless of ladies, mens or mixed) is defending, the pair shall adopt a defensive formation. This has one player covering "down-the-line" and the other covering the x-court. This isn't "sides" as the x-court defender is more central. If 1 partner is significantly weaker than the other (which is the presumption in mixed), then the weaker player should be defending the x-court.

Even if your lady is very weak, she should still defend the x-court. If the opposition clear to her back corner, consider getting it yourself. Yes, this means that you're covering 3 corners. However, if you can get there, you'll be in formation & your opposition may be out of formation.

Similarly, if the opposing lady is rooted to their T, then you can exploit this by the means described above.

Hope that helps.

11. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Thanks everybody for the advice, sounds tough but I'll try!

12. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

what should i do when receiving serve?

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

This is all assuming a good serve...

don't lift. don't drive to deep corners. don't play tight net shot unless you and your partner know exactly who and how to deal with the third shot.

do push to sides, but make sure it gets past the front person. do drive/hard push down the middle.

If you really must lift, make sure you lift to your side so that you're covering straight smash.

14. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

If opponent female hogs the net when you are attacking, the side lanes are especially open = WINNER!

15. kvyra

kvyra Regular Member

In XD especially, very very important to lift to your side so you are covering the straight smash.

16. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Thanks for everybody's help! I actually had fun playing xd this time instead of getting frustrated. Still need to work on it but it was much much better this time. Thanks!

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Thanks for the tipp, I will try to do this. Mostly at a low level of play I noticed the female stays at the net even after lifting the shuttle, instead of a defensive position. You think a fast drop to the side lanes would also work?

18. dazzatron

dazzatron Regular Member

Generally playing where the opponent players unconventional mixed, i.e. when the lady stands at the front even when they have lifted, it is so easy to beat them, why?

When they play unconventionally its because they don't know how to play mixed and most likely because the female is very weak. When attacking, smashing straight is generally the most common shot to play, avoid drops, especially slow drops. If you're under pressure but still want to play an attacking shot, straight punch clear. When smashing, especially if you've worked out that the female's defensive is weak, a smash down the middle will also work.

19. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

Honestly speaking seeing that kind of front-back formation in mixed doubles just makes me sad. The tactic itself is totally outdated. You both should just stick with the usual doubles rotation where the female tries to cover the front ONLY during your ATTACK. If the opponent tries to push the female at the rearcourt then she should handle it, it gives you both a better chance of winning the rally. If you both are still holding the front-back formation even during defense, then that's just stupid. How do you expect to defend a smash by yourself in the doubles court. A smash in doubles is usually very fast and even a dive to defend wouldn't be sufficient.

So if your female partner can only handle the front then maybe you should get rid of her. That stupid formation would only work on a club level of play, no offense.

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yes - perfect shot is fast drop/stick smash so you can maximise accuracy and hit the tramlines. there is no way the dude can cover both tramlines at mid court.