Lin Dan vs Yang Yang: Relative strengths and weaknesses??

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nathaniel_Near, Feb 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Nathaniel_Near

Nathaniel_Near Regular Member

I want to know more about some of the legends in badminton history.

Compared to Lin Dan, what did Yang Yang do better or worse and also, what are the relative weaknesses of both players?

I'm guessing some of you guys will really know your stuff, so I'm looking forward to seeing what analysis will come!

Thanks

2. King's

King's Regular Member

I want to know too, hope to hear the answers here. I have actually no idea about Yang Yang except that the name is legendary in its own merit.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Lindan is a reborn from Yang2.;)

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    A reborn? Maybe because both of them originated from China

and they do have some similarity in their stroke.

Speed wise on court I am quite sure Lin Dan is faster

and sorry Yang Yang if you are reading :D.

Btw, I have played with Yang2 before,

not a full game but enough for me to find out what badminton is all about :D.

#4 pBmMalaysia, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

quite impossible to compare

they r great in their own way..

have any1 compare... lin dan with zhao jian hua?

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Both of them don't have any weakness. Only difference is one is 3 inches taller. If not because of Zhao Jian Hua, Yang Yang would have been as dominated as Lin Dan.

7. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yang2 style of play has a bit more rallies but he did attack a lot with his fantastic cross court smashes. Zhao JH is a faster paced player, very deceptive with lots of attacks. Actually both are good in their on way but Yang2 is known to be more consistent than Zhao.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

And you beat the ying yang out of yang yang:D

And more healthier than ZJH.;)

9. betazone

betazone Regular Member

I totally disagree when comparisons are done based on speed and power, because the training done now for players are totally different from last time. It is just like saying, is Bolt faster than Carl Lewis ?????

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Your point maybe right but I don't think the training is totally different :D

11. King's

King's Regular Member

LD vs YY vs ZJH, interesting to know that they are right up there.

No way to find out now. But maybe if they can be graded on how good they are by coaching the next generation and see who has the better system and who can produce more champions.;)

12. extremenanopowe

How you wish to have a slumber party with all these greats huh? lol. ;)

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    It's not possible to compare them both in words since both of them has their own strength and weakness in their own existing ways. When i watch YY plays numerous time live while Rothman's or Alba was one of the sponsor, he's an efffective, fast moving, attacking machine from the beginning till the end and above all, what actually make's him fearsome was his smash preparation.......fast in moving into position then......BOOOM, a powerfull and steep smash delivered. Not much of deceptive type, just pure fast and kill type of smash.

Meanwhile....(since ZJH also being mention here), if you work in a hazard - control dept and ordered to pin a warning sign at ZHJ back then....only two word suitable this player........."Warning : extremely deceptive". His net play, his smash, his drop,his eyes.......all can come into one agonising and clueless manouever that will make his opponent knees and back suffer but magestic to view from the eyes of the spectator. He's fast but not as fast as YY and since he is very tall, he compensate his sluggishness with his long reach.

LD.....what more can we say about him. He's deceptive especially his smash (and that is his trademark) and his also lightning fast. When he leaps into the air, i bet either you can guess 100% correct where he's going to smash or 50% correct or none at all (which the later 2 will be the most likely.....and just imagine if you're his opponent). Clueless like when ZJH leaps. Other than Dato', his footwork movement is lightning fast. At one point he's in a diving position after retrieving a smash then out of no where he's in the air already doing a smash himself!.

ratul_kai likes this.
  14. extremenanopowe

Yes. YY is a no nonsense guy with the bam bam. ZJH is a nonsense guy with all the tricks.

LD is both a no nonsense (when he wins) and a nonsense guy (when he gives walk overs and not felt like playing). ;) A complete package. lol. ;)

15. bura836

bura836 Regular Member

accountant
    I would not compare them in term of skill and ability as I believe we can not compare them when there differences in the playing system. Yang2 will be less fast because he play in the serve for point system while LD plays in a rally point system. Physically LD is more strengh as I notice Yang2 can be weaker when the match last long. Consistently, Yang2 has more stability while LD is more on a moody basis. Sportmanshiply, Yang2 is more polite and calm, and with sportmanship characteristic.

16. eugene_wong

eugene_wong Regular Member

HR
    Yang Yang can leap higher and his smashes were more deadly than LD. You can lift the shuttle high over his head and he had the ability to quickly reverse and unleash a deadly leaping smash. That was how he beat a top form Frost 15-2 in first game in world championship &nbsp;87. His jump was very high, higher than LD.<br><br>However, he didn't smash often when facing less formidable opponents though his smashes are deadly. He often appeared to give chance to his opponents by not fighting hard. Once he decided to win, it was often smooth sailing.<br><br>LD seems to be more muscular and stronger but not as springy as Yang Yang. Yang2 is like a spring. In term of speed, they are almost the same.&nbsp;<br><br>If I put zhao into the pic, then at his best form, nobody even LD could match him. Nobody could play the kind of game he played....just look at AE in 85 and AE final in 1990. He just outclassed his opponent.<br><br>Yang2 was almost unbeatable during his &nbsp;peak. For Malaysians, do you remember that we were not allowed to go to China? So since when we have been allow? Thanks to Zhao! After he managed to beat Yang2 in Asian Games, we were allow to visit China!!

17. laonong

laonong Regular Member

How did Zhao's win over Yang Yang make Chiina allow Malaysian visit China?

18. bura836

bura836 Regular Member

accountant

Also give me a hint. Why is that relevant to Malasian being able to visit China.

19. eugene_wong

eugene_wong Regular Member

HR
    Before Yang Yang was beaten, we malaysians were prohibited to go to China. Do you recall that?
    After Yang2 was beaten in 1990 Asian Games by Zhao, it's the very time we were allowed to visit China until today? Have you observed that?

Actually, Yang2 been beaten was probably not the reason that the gov lifted the ban to visit China. It has been decades that Malaysians were banned from going to China. If you ask me when were we allowed to visit China, it is also right to say after Yang2 was beaten, the door to China was opened for us.

So if anyone were to ask me since when malaysians were able to go China, I can say after Yang2 was beaten by Zhao in 1990. Just ask yourself if you were able to buy air-ticket to China before he was beaten?

20. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Interesting observation but you did not address the questions of the previous posters. There maybe other things that happened in 1990 that caused the changed, maybe politics like you said, which really defeats what you said earlier. The mere correlation is rather meaningless. This is like saying the one day I bought chocolate ice cream, Fidel Castro had a stroke. So me buying chocolate ice cream led to Castro's stroke. This nonsense of course, and it caricaturises your argument (I apologize).

#20 soulless, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012