Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I read your post and my reply is not intended nor directed at you but rather, as an ex-malaysian, I am disgusted seeing the resources/funding being mismanaged and the stooges running this BAM show are still there, like tidak apa attitude, business as usual. As for individuals with no hidden agenda, we can agree that it is not at all possible in Malaysia, never has been and never will be, just the way it has always been...bet my buck 49 sens on this:)

2. OneToughBirdie

engineer

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The chosen one must be prepared to face the consequences

So... Have any BCers read this article from thestar?

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story....rts/11376922&sec=sports#.T8S9JBWYj3E.facebook

Tuesday May 29, 2012

WUHAN: The personalities of China’s supremo Li Yongbo and Japan’s head coach Park Joo-bong are poles apart. One has an air of arrogance while the other is all humility.

But doubles legends Yongbo and Joo-bong, who were arch enemies in the 80s while playing for China and South Korea respectively, have one common trait – a strong leadership quality which inspires success. That is something which Malaysian badminton clearly lacks.

At the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals, China won the men’s and women’s titles while Japan reached the semi-finals in both categories.

Yongbo, who will turn 50 in September, has led China’s team to numerous successes and they continue to be a dominant force in world badminton.

He must be doing something right for he is able to hold the huge team of players together and ensure that there is success at every level – men’s and women’s singles and all three doubles events.

When asked about the recipe for his success, Yong-bo replied curtly: “If I gave it away, then the world would be the same and that won’t be too nice for us.

“We can’t go on doing the same thing because the results would be the same. One must always be receptive to change.”

China have certainly evolved over the years but their results have always been consistently outstanding. The Badminton World Federation (BWF) have changed the scoring format three times since China made their presence felt in 1977 but they have adapted quicker than anyone else.

Their doubles experienced a slump after the domination of Yongbo-Tian Bingyi but now, they have four-time world champions in Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng and a few young pairs oozing with potential.

The 46-year-old Joo-bong’s work in Japan over the last seven-and-half years is finally bearing fruit. Over the last two years, Japan have shown depth in both their men’s and women’s team.

“All of them are club players. They only participate in centralised training prior to a major event. It isn’t easy to keep the team together when they are scattered all over. Communication is the key and I’m blessed because I have committed players,” he said.

While Japan and China have outstanding supremos to plan, strategise and build the team, Malaysia are clearly lacking in that area.

Gone are the days when someone dynamic like Tan Sri Elyas Omar or Datuk Punch Gunalan took the lead to ensure that the system delivered world class players .

Now, Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have resorted to multiple heads to handle the national team but the results, except for world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, have been getting from bad to worse. It is a clear case of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

BAM had a series of interviews to find a suitable candidate for the supremo job but decided that none were good enough.

There can never be a perfect candidate based on paper qualification. All they need is someone with the knowledge and experience of the game who brooks no nonsense. Someone who is willing to take up the challenge and deliver results.

There are a few with such credentials like Cheah Soon Kit, Razif Sidek, Kwan Yoke Meng and, maybe, Tan Kim Her.

They may even consider re-hiring Misbun Sidek to take charge at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS). After all, the man has the passion for the game and the desire to nurture youngsters.

There could be others too but the chosen one must be prepared to face the consequences if he or she fails to deliver over a specified term. But, above all, they must be given a free hand and total control.

BAM have been running around like a headless chicken ever since they terminated Yap Kim Hock as the chief coach after the 2008 Olympics. Four years have gone by and they must know by now that something is seriously wrong.

Wuhan clearly showed that.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You know, even if you had LYB and TXH both in charge of either BAM or PBSI the way things are in both those countries at present, they wouldn't do much better than what things are now.

Change for change's sake is never an answer. As long as the political and national will is lacking in terms of its strength and amplitude, nothing will be achieved. Too much fragmented energy. I agree with much of what you have said, expect that these countries should be satisfied with settling in at #5 or 6, which is frankly, an obviously sardonic tone.

So what's the answer? This is all cyclic. Remember the economic meltdown that the 5 dragons experienced in the 70's and 80's? Rejuvenation happens best when the older system is razed to its foundations. :D Maybe that's the answer, eh? But that only happens when the political and national collective consciousness come to the realisation that there is no other way out.

Forget LYB and TXH. Even an old fox like MF wouldn't do much good right now. Only BAM and PBSI can help themsleves: by dissolving themselves. Order can only form from complete chaos.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I missed those days when the started the project 1988-1992 where Fang Kai Xiang was in charge. He really whip up those guys. The togetherness spirit must be there. ;)

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese are not like herds of sheep to be led by one strong leader. If Li Yong Bo and Park are soley responsible for China's and Japan's success, then what happens when they pass away from the scene? Just look at China's Table Tennis story. They have had many changes of coaches, players, and officials, and also rules that were changed to enable other countries to have a fighting chance.
    It is the people who make it possible. With good raw material one can make first class products. Without, it is very difficult and impossible if you are aiming to be no. 1.
    Why all the anger in Malaysia and Indonesia over their recent Thomas Cup and Uber Cup performances?
    Such anger is unjustified if you look at it from a more pragmatic perspective. It is unjustified expectation of false successes that were not there that lead to such bitterness.

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    anger?
    i am the one who said malaysia will lost to japan in 2010 TC and to thailand in 2010 AG
    what a joke.

and then i guess lee chong wei,taufik,ratchanok,sigit,tony gunawan,rexy-ricky and others great player must be inherited a great DNA from CHINA
    same goes to mister thomas and miss uber and mister sudirman.
    another joke.

#527 limsy, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    "It is people who make it possible." But don't stop halfway, just because it suits your agenda for pressing your point. "With good raw material one can make first class products." Then other "people who make it possible" take the "raw material" and provide the infrastructure and quality control to "process" the "raw material" into the "finished product." So, you need "people to make it possible" all the way.

That is what CBA has done so well, and other countries have failed at doing for any sustained length of time. The reasons for the failure lie in the political system, corrpution and changing values and priorities among the classes and masses, but you don't want to acknowledge this fact, again because it possibly does not gel with your agenda to pursue the silly juvenile DNA theory, which you find difficult to back away from, now.

Anger in Malaysia and Indonesia? That is good. At least they are not controlled sheep numbering over a billion. Anger is justified when they see what their people in power have done, or undone. Anger can fuel change. Ask the survivors of repression through centuries of successive dynasties.

Lastly, you may need to be reminded that China badminton rose to pre-eminent position only after certain wise and skilled people from way south of the China border made the journey there, taking with them all the knowledge they had imbibed over time in Indonesia and Malaya. Another nail in the China-DNA-theory coffin. That they needed to make the journey at all is the tragic story of mankind, repeated every few years. And it will happen again. Even in places a lot of us smugly don't anticipate it to ever happen.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to be fair and honest, even LYB has hidden agendas. but at least he understands that success comes first, agenda come later. when there are results to show, fans are less critical of whatever agendas they have, they will let them earn their millions and the fans will still cheer for them.

when they are failures, then fans will start to find faults, and they will find anything to blame for the failures.

so basically, be smart, show results.

10. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    If China did not win UC this time, LYB may have to go. Supremo or not supremo. Result comes 1st. He was very tense when WYH almost going to lose to SJH. I

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    DNA theory is fine and dandy. but at the end of the day, having all the best DNA is useless unless someone comes in to discovery them. and to do that requires a system in place. China has one of the best nation wide grass root badminton training system from village to city to province to national team. talents are discovered and groomed from very early on. add that to a pool of over a billion people, that's where they discover the Lin Dan and Li Xuerui.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If I were a Malaysian, I would not want to demand that the 3 stooges vacate their chairs in BAM. Better the known devil than the unknown one.

I would instead, demand that they be made accountable and responsible for results, long-term and short-term. And for all programs put in place, and for all money spent.

And if the results are not commensurate, I would have them publicly stripped of all their titles and privileges. I would have them summoned daily by auditors to explain their actions and decisions, especially ones that had no logic, reasoning or direction. And finally when their explanations are insufficient, I would have them arrested for misuse of public office.

That is public accountability in action. It breeds responsibility. That will bring in professionalism. Which will give results.

But this is all a dream... :p

13. extremenanopowe

bam

Maybe maybe.. The Malaysian team depends a lot on luck.

The luck is on discovery of LCW. Who is next? ;)

14. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    If it weren't for the media putting the spotlight on BAM, I don't think the president would even say 'we are open to suggestions'.

I guess the happiest person now is no other than Misbun Sidek. He may not be happy about the state of Malaysian badminton, but at least people get to see and read about how BAM is doing now and people can get at least a certain perspective on BAM (Badminton-Acquiring-Money-Management).

Taneepak has given many BCers a chance to set up a firing squad. Thank you taneepak.

15. extremenanopowe

someone have to be the bad guy anyway. Aint we want it? Lolthats why pple come back. Role playing.

16. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Yes, beside the talents discovered, it's all about the system.

What taneepak has posted is only the tip of the ice berg.

If china has been doing a great job with plenty of good material,

why is there only one Lin Dan ?

For the past 2 to 3 years, li yong Bo has been trying so hard

until his butt ached just to keep Lin Dan on the move.

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the fact is china is getting weaker and weaker in junior championship
    their ws didnt win wjc for 3 years(and they wont win this year,even if ratchanok or tai tzuying didnt play)
    their ms didnt win wjc for 3 years(and they wont win this year)
    not to mention their md.(and they wont win this year)
    they are a force in xd not because of the male player,its because their women double player.
    the only title that china are certain to win nowadays in junior circuit is women double

but the thing is cba manage to turn this around in senior stage!
    thats the different between cba and bam or pbsi

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I intended to make a post previously but deleted as I had something urgent to do. I couldn't write better than what you two had posted above. One thing I would add is CHN has the perfect environment for badminton and table tennis to flourish, fudning, training system and playing partners (the training sessions are like mini tourney with top players) and the players, whether willingly and unwillingly, are united as one (whatever LYB say, goes) to glorify the nation, which would not fly in MAS, INA, KOR, DEN. Hard to beat a country blessed with all these positives....except once in a blue moon, the rest of the world would come up with a LCW, TH, LYD who can give CHN hiccups.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Honestly to be fair, if the majority of baddy fans, including PG, concur LD is the best player (in terms of accomplishment) in the history of badminton or the best player CHN has produced, as great a job that CHN has done, it is not that simple or easy to find another one. LD is blessed with all the tools (mental, instinct, speed, power, defense, etc) needed to be what he is today, perhaps the best weapon LD has is his health (forget about those questionable WO), I could not even recall seeing LD wear a knee brace and that's one clue, he can seemingly take a hiatus (EAG) and train/speed up his game when big OLY comes, and maintain his position in world badminton winning 16 majors in 10 years or so. Prior to LD, I would say ZJH is the best player I had seen, but ZJH did not have the health or consistency like LD.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is only one Lin Dan because the best of the best DNA are still rare to find despite the huge pool. but there are lots of Chen Long, Chen Jin, Bao Chunlai, Xia Xuanze, Sun Jun, etc, etc, who are already good enough to beat most other players. during which the other country may have only discovered 1 or 2. (DEN: PG, INA: TH, KOR: LHI, MAS: LCW, WCH), China has one competitive one every 3-4 years.