Will Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong do better without Rexy Mainaky?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 3, 2011.

1. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

well it will be the new year soon... all in all.. it can be a new start for the pair. they are still young anyway..i dont agree that any of these two is arrogant or cocky.. its just part of the game..

they are still top 10.. to some they had hit rock bottom .. well maybe.... than they have no way to go but up.. i think their best is yet to come..

2. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Ya. Give them more chances.:rolleyes:

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You can read here for more details : Courtesy of The Star :

Hope yet for pair

IT has been a year to forget for doubles pair Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong, who ended their season without a win in the Super Series Masters Finals. The duo had gone running to national coach Pang Cheh Chang to revive their beleaguered careers in August, but the results have not been forthcoming. Cheh Chang, however, is confident that they can only get better. He gives his take on the troubled pair in a Q&A with Starsport’s RAJES PAUL

Starsport:They play so brilliantly one day and then collapse big time in the very next match. Inconsistency is still wreaking havoc on their game. Why is this once great pair finding it hard to soar again?
    Cheh Chang: They got the concept right against the Koreans (referring to their narrow 21-18, 15-21, 18-21 defeat to Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung). They had a good strategy and did well to put the pressure on the Koreans. It, however, went horribly wrong against Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen. They could not counter the Danes’ pressure at the back court. It is all about thinking right during the match. It can be mastered. I see positive changes and that is good.
    Starsport: But can they raise their game before the Olympics in London?
    Cheh Chang: I have faith in them and am confident that they can win a medal for the country in the Olympics. There are eight more months and if we continue to work on the weaknesses, we can get them ready for the Games.
    Starsport: How is the relationship between Kien Keat and Boon Heong now?
    Cheh Chang: They have a better understanding of each other. They are mature enough to handle the situation now. After the defeat to the Danes, they were involved in a heavy discussion on what went wrong. They were like a couple. Seriously, they are putting more effort to show oneness on court and that is the important thing.
    Starsport: How is their work ethic in training?
    Cheh Chang: It’s important for players to manage their time and personal life properly. They should prioritise and arrange their activities so that there will not be any conflicts. Koo and Tan are fighting hard to regain their old form and they know that it involves proper time and personal management. They gave their all in training prior to the Denmark and France Opens but still crashed out early. This really destroys your morale and confidence and it takes time to get all psyched up again.
    Starsport: Is there mounting pressure on you?
    Cheh Chang: Maybe a little. But I would rather take things positively. There is a problem with Koo and Tan and my challenge is to help them overcome it. Some may ask whether it was right to change coaches at this stage? All I know is that I have a job to help these boys.
    Starsport: Some say that Kien Keat-Boon Heong wanted you as coach because they could dictate terms. What is your comment?
    Cheh Chang: They came to me because I had coached them as juniors and they felt I could help them. I would like to believe that this is the only reason. We respect each other. They look up to me as a big brother and I like this relationship where we can talk about badminton and also life.
    Starsport: How do you perceive the hiring of South Korea’s two-time Olympic silver medallist Yoo Yong-sung as a coach to help Kien Keat-Boon Heong? Do you see him as a threat?
    Cheh Chang: Of course not. I am open to any assistance I can get if it is going to help Koo and Tan. I welcome new ideas. In fact, other coaches – Rexy Mainaky, Rosman Razak and Tan Kim Her – are also full of ideas. It all depends on how the players digest the information given to them to improve.
    Starsport: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) got a Korean coach when the players cannot beat the Koreans. Are they going to hire a Danish or an Indonesian coach if they keep on losing to players from Denmark and Indonesia?
    Cheh Chang: I have no comment on this. I am a coach with BAM and I believe the association are doing whatever they can to help the players. Sometimes, we do not know whether a decision made will work or not for us. What is important is to have the right intention. For now, everyone in the BAM just want the boys to bounce back.
    Starsport: What’s next for the world No. 5 Koo and Tan?
    Cheh Chang: It has been a difficult year but we want to look ahead with a positive attitude. The players will compete in the Korea and Malaysian Opens in January. Both the coaches and players have learnt from the 2011 setbacks and I am sure it will serve to make us all better.

4. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Funny Starsport interviewer on question abt the idea to hire Danish or Indonesian coach.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It is a good dig at BAM, Hire all the coaches from around the world who KKK/TBH loses. If I am not mistaken, I think they lost to a German pair before. We might have a German coach.

6. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

but why not.. until a local pair comes along . .beats them all the time.. who else to give chances?

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    He shd ask, Is Rexy a bad coach? If not, why change? lol. ;)

Then ask, so, it is worth it for BAM to waste money on another coach? ;) lmao...

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I do feel sorry for KKK/TBH, one moment when they win, they are heroes, now they are laughing stock, I guess it comes with the territory, fair enough. But no fingers are pointed at BAM 3 stooges...BAM is facing desperate moments with OLY12 only 8 months away, and the 2 hopefuls (LCW, KKK/TBH) are on shaky ground. If the 2 great hopes fail to medal or worse got KO early, BAM would have nothing to show for all the millions of Maybank ringgit given them. So desperate moments require desperate measures, and the 3 stooges are hoping one of those desperate moves pay off. With all the millions BAM got, what is another coach, no problem, bring in the entire KOR coaches, long cool Danes/Germans too...Like growing up in MAS, the old saying goes 'mana ada sistem-la! Make it up as you go! MAS Boleh!:D

#508 OneToughBirdie, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  9. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    Perhaps the cloud hanging over KKK/TBH does have a silver lining?

Actually, I've noticed that of late, TBH has been playing much better. Sure, he may still not be able to smash continuously like the energiser-bunny JJS, but seriously, I think that TBH's overall play has improved. :)
    His movement in the mid and front court, positional play, his defence and placings have been definitely improved. Needs to be bit more consistent though.

The problem also is ah Koo seems to have gone downhill. :mad: During last year's World Championship where they finished runners-up, KKK lost a lot of weight and was a lot more mobile and lively. All that weight is slowing him down a bit I think. Although, weight never seemed to have slowed Hoon Thien How down. Haha.

All may not be lost just yet for this pair. If TBH continues his improvement, and KKK becomes more serious, lose some weight, boost his fitness, there may yet still be hope for these guys.

Come on you guys! You can do it!!!

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Comments in red

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    #511 chris-ccc, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  12. extremenanopowe

You reckon they are going to get the boos or being called 'gemuk' when they loose? ;)

13. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

It doesn't matter whether they win or lose, everyone will still call them names. :)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Actually, it's not whether they win or lose (in a match), but to show us how they think they can win, and therefore demonstrating their new game-plan for us to witness.

#514 chris-ccc, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. extremenanopowe

Well, looks like the top 3 big guns not coming. I wonder why?? ;) Any reason?

So, if they cannot win? Riots??? lol. ;)

16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

so what?! i bet koo/tan still cannot win this SS title even Top 3 pairs n th world are absent...

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, totally agree with you;)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

More BCers not thinking that KKK/TBH can do better in futher? :crying::crying::crying:

But I haven't given up on them yet. :):):)

KKK is one of our world's fastest and able player at the net. TBH is one of our world's hardest smasher. Therefore, this combination is a good one.

#518 chris-ccc, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  19. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Bangunlah abang:p

20. aril79

aril79 Regular Member

lose again :(
    surely they will drop to wr7 next thursday