(asl) Weight of racket determine how good smash is ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by NaruHodo, May 8, 2013.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

swing speed must go down if the only that that changed was increased MoI.

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Yep, swing weight goes up significantly with extra weight, counterintuitively against the "higher-swing-weight makes slower swinging" the ball speed also goes up but only if hit on the right spot on the strings, otherwise ... lots of other stuff going on but I quote the guy studying this ....

"it is clear that mass added at the tip of the racket is effective in increasing racket power and that the point of maximum power is shifted towards the tip of the racket" [1:14]

He defined racket power as ball speed right after impact and maximum power is the situation when you do loose a minimum of physical energy due to vibration upon impact - (coefficient of restitution COR, if this is something meaningful to you ... in simple terms - the trampolin)

[1] Cross: Customising a tennis racket by adding weights, Sports Engineering (2001) 4, 1–14

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

One thing that's important is OP however stated
    1st racket weight 78gr with same spec such as stiff and head heavy
    2nd racket weight 86gr with same spec stiff and head heavy too

An 86g racket with the same bp in mm as a 76g racket(say bp300mm). The 86g racket will have higher swing weight. So if BP and shaft stiffness the same there is still a valid discussion.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

it's really funny, this extra-weight study came before the swing-weight study, but he mentions that ball speed surely depends on the swing speed, which we now know depends on lower swing weight ... and the next thing is that a change in the vibration upon impact is less important than the swing speed ... however he comes up with great wizzardry --- or I just be too lazy to read all again and double check elsewhere, I admit that --- ball speed up with weights if hit on the right COR spot.

5. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

As such the swing speed for the 86g racket may suffer, compared to the 78g racket, but:

From Russel, see earlier post of mine - "this increase in batted-ball speed results from an increase in bat-swing speed for the same bat. Swinging a given bat faster will result in a faster batted-ball speed. However, swinging a lower MOI bat with a faster swing speed will not increase the batted-ball speed."

I think it's pretty clear ... the answer is no.

[MENTION=10770]happy[/MENTION]

Oh please, we just figured out what it is about the different weights ;) Don't come up with angular speeds of pronation etc.( ... but wait I also remember that the torso rotation and later the pronation (underarm) and the rotation of the wrist that are the fastest and greatest contributors to smash speed, if this is what you look for)

7. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I know this is an old thread but not wanting to start a new one, I am looking into ways to add some weight to the badminton racket head. Of course there were the yonex etune series that allows you to adjust weight but that would require you to restring the racket. I would like a simple way to add some 'tape' to increase by maybe another 10-15 gms without having to restring the racket.

I have tried adding some cable ties but the weight of these were too little and they don't look good on the racket. I am also concerns of the additional installation will flew out when I swing the racket or on impact with the shutter. Have anyone tried and can share?

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Relatively inexpensive leadtape from Aliexpress does the job for me.

https://goo.gl/GPrWBy

After that add plaster tape or cloth medical tape on top to seal it secure.

9. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Hi, after trying out a few methods, i find it is actually the timing that matter most. with everything equal, when the shutter impact the surface will determine the force.

stanleyfm likes this.