For Pity Sake

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Swingbadabada, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I'm 14 and just bought a SOTX Woven 8 and a SOTX D600 (for xmas) i bought them off the internet so the seller asked what tension i wanted inh the rackets (with BG80) since i had previously only had pre-strung rackets i took and educated guess at 23lbs. Then my current string broke on my racket and so got my coach to restring also with BG80. I played with the racket for 2hours then asked what tension he'd strung at because the feel was :D. The reply 28lbs..... and i got my new rackets at 23lbs :( GUTTED. Oh well just thought i'd tell you cos i was bored lmao

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    5lbs is a big difference. I bet you lacked power and had a sore arm.

3. Swingbadabada

Student
    Actually with 28lbs i quite liked it maybe 26 would nhave been better - havven't played witht he ones at 23lbs yet - there for christmas

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

He's been playing with 28lbs and then he accidentally ordered racquets strung 5lbs lower.. lol :D

26lbs IMO is very easy to play with.. enough power with decent control.

Swingbadabada, you can simply get those racquets restrung at 28lbs if you don't like 23lbs :p..

5. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    I heard you can actually re"tight" your string. If it was strung at 23lbs previously, you can ask a stringer to pull it for 28lbs with the same string.

It happens in my country here. I can ask him to tighten my string. But only 1 mt after strung. If it was > 1 mt, I will be charged with I don't know xD... Since I never had it tighten.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If that's the case.. then the number of mains and crosses will be less than the original, thus the sweetspot will also be smaller.

ie: instead of 25x22.. it will be 23x20.

7. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Hmmmm... is it not possible to tighten both main and cross? I always go to local shop xD... Since the price here include the stringing job. But more knowledge will always acceptable xD...

If it's not possible welll xD... cutting those 23lbs will be a wonderful idea lol...

Btw, I missed the part where 25 x 22 become 23 x 20... Since the string will have to be longer there xD...

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    jhirata means, that you need to cut the string/loosen up the knots before you are able to pull the string. therefor, the string will be shorter then.
    wonder is it possible to re-tighten it? why need to?

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I think that one month is too long.. If you want to some how retighten your strings, you'd have to get it done before the strings settle into position around the frame.

10. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    @jhirata
    Ahh... I see, welll that's their policy. I do never tighten my own string xD...

@drifit
    Well some store provide those tighten string policy. So I believe it's possible. And, I do never does that. Just giving some opinion for Swingbadabada's problemo xD...

11. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Sorry to hear that, mate. Pre-strung rackets are usually at less than 23 lbs so your guess wasn't too bad. You weren't to know you preferred higher tensions. I'm surprised your coach strung that high for you, most people tell juniors to play at stupidly low tensions. I play at 28 lbs and above, depending on how I feel when I get my racket(s) strung. When I get my MTec 70, I might go for 30 lbs or slightly higher. No higher than 32 though, I hated 32 lbs last time I tried it.

12. Swingbadabada

Student
    enjoying 28lbs but might try 26lbs - i can't slice at 28lbs (my trademark shot)

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nothing to against you, but I was quite shocked when I read this.

Pre-strung rackets are usually no more than 23-24 lb range, and when you break the string (assume used for a while already), it should be even lower. Then, you said the re-strung racket by your coach is 28lb with BG80... Then, I have the following ??? keep popping in my head:

1. Your coach should know you pretty well, and he should know what kinda range of tension you are comfortable with. Jumping from 23-24lb with default string (or at least thicker string such as BG65) to a thinner string @ 28... Hmmm... either s/he forgot to consult with you (which is important from a stringer point of view) or s/he really has a lot of guts and put you in a spot with higher chance of injury.

2. The coach claims the tension to be 28, which I found it's hard to believe at the beginning. Yes, your level might be more advanced, but jumping 5+ lbs and different string type is too much of a step. Usually, people won't be very :D but more likely to feel :eek::confused::mad: at the 1st try. Therefore, I just wonder is that possible your coach's machine needs some level of calibration. I've seen some young kids in my local clubs bring racket to me, and proudly claim their rackets are 28-30lbs. To be honest, I feel the string bed is at most 23-25 to begin with... :rolleyes:

14. Swingbadabada

Student
    Thanks for the comment... i believe his machine probably is callibrated because his own racket is regularly strung with it (maybe me being naive). For mew the sting feels tighter then 25-26lbs strung rackets i've tried. Because he does not own store etc the only option i had was BG80. The tension i forgot to mension to him. Therefore he strung at 28lbs . I do agreee he should have consulted me though :)

15. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    LazyBuddy, one of my friends did that. He was just like; "Do you like my new racket?" (it was a Carlton Aeroblade so I said no) and then he said "It came pre-strung at 28 lbs. You can't even string you Arcsaber 10 that high." I just laughed, knowing the tension on my Arc10 and had a hit with his new racket. It felt 23 lbs at the absolute most and I laughed once more.

Also, it could just be that high tensions are good tensions for Swingbadabada so he gets on with the racket. Low tensions were all he was used to before so he wouldn't have known what a difference high tensions make. I think more advanced juniors should play at high tensions. I've found that they really improve my game. You seem to enjoy them too, Swingbadabada

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

A friend of mine told me his racquet is strung at 25lbs.. but when he hits the shuttle, the string bed makes the 'pong' sound... :p

So I see, there is a coach who risks the student's shoulder/arm.. What would Gollum say to that ? ;)

I had no problem with 26 and 27, 28lbs was too tight for me; but I'll try 30lbs anyway.. just for experiment.

17. Swingbadabada

Student
    Lol my coach is a good guy :) Haha i don't know if it's hurting my arm as i have a string of injuries there alot anyways......