String Recomendation For Yonex Voltric 7 (VT-7)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mohala, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mohala

mohala Regular Member

Hiya,

I am planning to buy a new badminton racket after using my old Yonex isometric 765 LT for the last 5 years and the coach laughing at me saying you need a new racket, and decided to go for the Yonex Voltric 7, (main reason very poor to get a VT-70 so decided as a lower end alternative to it)

The shop I am planning to buy it, offer restringing service with the strings they have in store, the list are:

Yonex:
    Nanogy 98
    Nanogy 95
    BG66 Ultimax
    BG55
    BG66
    BG80
    BG68 Ti
    BG65 Ti

Ashaway:
    ZyMax 62
    ZyMax 67
    ZyMax 70

and tension of between 21-28 Lbs.

So my question is what would be the best string to use and at what tension.

Also I forgot to tell you the type of player I am, usually and mostly I play doubles, if I�m at the back, I tend to go for a harder hit to the back of the court, and if I�m up front I tend to play with drop shots and mostly quick net play and an occasional smash.

I had before brought a Head Power Helix 5000 with Yonex BG66 Ultimax at 23 Lbs for my sis, but before I gave it to her I had a couple of games and felt that it sort of absorbed the power a bit and my game play felt slow and heavy unlike with my Yonex which had strings (I�m not sure what make of the strings are) at 21 Lbs felt a lot more perky and light. I am not sure if the strings were a right match or if the tension was wrong, so I thought I might ask the experts for a decision.

I would greatly appreciate the help

Mo

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Go for ZM62, since you are in UK and that is easily available ... if you like to try Yonex, start with BG66 ... you can never go wrong with these starting points.

3. mohala

mohala Regular Member

Is ashaway strings any good? in you opinon what are they like?

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Many "old hands" in the forum here swears by it ZM62 (3rd Generation, apparently) ... I tried it, not bad, pretty good too but found that Gosen R4x100 and BG66 are more "suited" to me and my style of play ...

5. mohala

mohala Regular Member

What about the string tension what tension would be suited with either the ZM62 or the BG66?

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Stay away from ZM62 :D! If you have to buy VT7 instead of VT70 because of cost you surely don't want it needing to be re-strung every couple of weeks for 15-20gbp ... Also if 66UM at 23 absorbs your power you would want it higher, not lower. But if 21 felt better perhaps it is not absorbing but rather the contact time is too short to transfer your power [not flexing the string enough] ...
    If you still have your racket, it should be printed on the string which type it is.

Not to forget, 66UM/strings will drop in tension soon enough so you could try it again if it has been close to a month since it was strung and see if it now feels better or worse.

#6 demolidor, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  7. geubes

geubes Regular Member

I had BG80 in my V7 at 24lbs and it was great in all areas

I hated 65ti at 24lbs in my V7, it just lost all control. The smashes were good but the rest of the game suffered

However I recently tried Ashaway Zymax 65 in my Z-slash (after using bg80 in it) and the Zymax is better than the bg80 I thought. More control, easier on the arm, great repulsion and it felt a little softer than BG80. But I wouldnt go 62 if you are already struggling for cost. Try the 67 if they cant get the 65? the texture of the zymax is a lot rougher than the yonex i tried (which I liked for the feeling of shuttle grip).

I still play with my V7 every now and then and I am planning on getting zymax 65 in it.

8. mohala

mohala Regular Member

hiya I had a look on the strings there is no model name on them, but they are stiched with two colors black and greenish yellow. I uploaded the picture maybe someone might be able to identify them from the look of the strings.

20130109_002919_LLS.jpg

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ashaway Powergut 65 probably ... Supposedly a string with much "grip" so out of the list you'd probably want to go with BG80 ...

10. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

I am also a vt7 user and have been using it with the default string the racquet came with for about two months now (that would be about 15-17 hours of playing). I am a beginner and have access to only yonex strings, almost all the op has mentioned. I would like to start with a tension of 21 or 22 lbs. I thought of giving nbg99 a try but after going through some reading about it i thought it would not be good to use the string at such a low tension. So what would be the best string at 21 lbs for a VT 7?

11. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

^forgot to tell my playing style. Im somewhere between a defensive and an offensive player. I like to smash but i can also transition from defense to offensive by blocking smashes or clearing the shuttle back deep in the court. I am not a very good net player but am looking to improve on that. And i like to hit drops disguised as smashes.