Super Series Finals 2008.. the Grand Finale

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by Chaojidan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Exactly.
    You see how CHN XD ZYW/XZB demolished hot KOR XD LHJ/LYD in HKO and one can imagine how meticulous the homework was.That win was the result of immaculate match preparations and I'm delighted for CHn esp. ZYW.No non-badminton tactics, just pure,flawless,well thought out badminton.It's great to see her radiance again.To think she was thinking of resigning...
    That's why it's important for CHN to show up in SSF and show it can sweep...in unfavourable atmosphere.

2. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    agree to all ..

what a cost of this as if called "FINAL MASTER" competiton with no 1st and 2nd players, as well as witn no current Olympic champion?

This system of 8 obligatory series seem as stupid as current ranking system.. all is working against logic of the things..

the question is why for example LD so tried to win more and to join 8 best players, if he certainly knew this system requirement?..

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We cannot say that the SS is stupid and/or is working against the logic of things

We should not be thinking that the Super Series Finals is replacing the World Championships. Or, the World Championships replacing the Olympic Games events. They are all different events.

We cannot say that the SS is stupid and/or is working against the logic of things.

4. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    ok it seems you are more knowing about SSF and probably other badminton series. So please explain as it works from inside, what is behind these rules.
    Why 8 events exactly and what a result SSF wants to reach.
    I think (just simple logically, without knowing exact local things) the 8 events rule is to avoid casual "winners", some people who just won here and there and suddenly joins the final masters.. So to avoid these ones, and to collect the STRONGEST ones who really play stronger than others during all the year.

Who is the strongest now?:rolleyes:
    Its all my position.

PS any way the Olympic year is ANOTHER year in all kind of sport, and sportsmen activity is much lower, its known. It would be clever to take into account for every federation and so.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Trying to summarise the Super Series Finals rules

dassad ... We think you meant "Why 8 entries/participants per event (MS/WS/MD/WD/XD)?".

We could try to summarise here for you the SSF rules:
    (1) Annually, there shall be a 'Top Prize Money' tournament known as the SSF
    (2) The SSF is for players who have gained the Top 8 SS Ranking Points for the year
    (3) The SS Ranking Points can be only be gained from the 12 SS tournaments played in a year
    (4) To participate in any of the 12 SS tournaments, players must have Top World Ranking Points
    (5) All expenses, which include travel, accommodation, meals, etc... are paid for in the SSF, but not the 12 SS tournaments, nor the other many WR tournaments.

Perhaps, BCers can add in points that I have missed or have said incorrectly.

The key point in the SSF: The World Ranking Points gained in other tournaments cannot be added to a player's SS Ranking Points.

:):):)

#245 chris-ccc, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. fd16n

fd16n Regular Member

dassad, i'm sure that you have not read this thread wholly and carefully. there is no such thing of 8 obligatory series event rules as is pointed earlier by Krisna in some post earlier in this thread post #91

#246 fd16n, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..there is no BWF rule which requires a player/pair to participate in 8 obligatory SS events to qualify for this SS Finale.:) The report (newspaper) misinformed us. Which Krisna eventually amended/made clear.:cool:
    1st part-it should've happened but never happened in the 1st yr, last yr...
    2nd part-i'm not quite sure what does it mean by "Top World Ranking Points"? Top 10? Top 20?...
    the rest, as far as i can see, are okay..:)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

No city wanted and/or could afford to hold the 2007 SSF

:D:D:D ctjcad ... Surprised my your questions/comments too. Perhaps, the competition is new.

1st part .... Because no city wanted and/or could afford to hold the 2007 SSF
    2nd part ... The World Top 32 ranked players interested in participating: click here

#248 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Well noted..^^

..yes, that's the reason for the first part. "There shall be..." but in reality never followed through/happened...;)
    ..much clearer for the 2nd part.
    :cool:

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am worried that some near future SSFs could be cancelled as well

The words "There shall be..." are my words. Perhaps they are a bit too strong. :eek::eek::eek:

I am worried that some near future SSFs could be cancelled as well. This is because the money (US$500,000.00) that WBF has raised, are to be offered to players as prizes only. I thought that some of the money could be used to pay for some of the players' expenses (travel, accommodation, meals, etc...), because it goes to the players anyway. When the host city is asked to pay for these expenses, it can be quite expensive to stage the SSF. As I have mentioned before, Melbourne estimated it to be US$250,000.00 in 2008. I don't know what Doha had estimated it to be in 2007, or KK in 2008.

However, in cities of countries where Badminton is more popular, they may have less risk not to recoup their expenses. They might even make some profit by hosting it. :):):)

Yes, previous posts have touched on this issue before... saying that the US$500,000.00, when divided by the number of players' prizes is peanuts. This is true when we are to compare Badminton with other sports like Tennis, Golf, Soccer, etc...

Currently, IF we are to be faced with either 'More Prize Money but with no SSF' or 'Less Prize Money but with SSF', I think the latter is more realistic.

I also hope that in Badminton Central, more posts can come from our Badminton promoters/organisers, informing us of some of the difficulties facing them.

#250 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2008
  11. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    thank you for this effort. I am still pretty weak about these determinations as soon as im too less time here around. But any way and any time there are human who make these rules. That's no automatic.
    I mean every good rule has inside reason. Why exactly 12? Why exactly 8? and so on. I believe there are such reasons here also.
    But the problem is these rules sound too automatic. You may be the God of the year but you don't reach 0.00001 % of point and you're out :)
    I exaggerate with a clear tipoff)

What is a goal of SSF founders? TO make good tournament? TO follow the rules? TO be the best competitors interest in the year? To be the academic institution with academic approaches?

Just after knowing an answer for these questions one can answer if these rules made perfect.

Currently, with absence of plenty main players, this tournament looks not really interesting. :eek:

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton is trying to follow/copy Tennis, but it's not working as well as it should

dassad ... From what I see, Badminton is trying to follow/copy Tennis. The 'Masters Series' in Tennis is quite popular, so BWF says 'Let call ours The Super Series'. :):):)

Fortunately for Tennis players, they have become real independent professional players from way back (in the 1960's).

In Badminton, we are yet to have real 'Independent Professional Players'. In fact, the so-called 'Professional Players' as placed in our Badminton Central Forum should not be called so, but be called 'National Associations Players'.

What I am saying is... 'Independent Professional Players' make decisions to enter tournaments by themselves, whereas 'National Associations Players' are subjects of their National Team Managements' decisions.

I am not saying that the system in Badminton is not as good as in Tennis. But I am saying that the SS Format in Badminton might not achieve what it hopes to achieve, until when we can have real 'Independent Professional Badminton Players'.

#252 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2008
  13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Let me emphasize again and again in previous replies....BWF did not have sponsor.....Jakarta has money to host as well as Singapore...There is NO MONEY and SPONSOR for 2007 SSF...Period!!! I do not understand why you keep defending BWF as they have admitted there was no sponsor....

14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    chris@ccc always had a different notion of management and responsibility... For him, BWF seems to not be responsible for many things and somehow appear more competent in his eyes than they really are...

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It has never been my intention to defend the BWF

huangkwokhau ... In 2007, I was told that BWF have the US$5000,000 prize money but no city would/could afford to host the SSF.

It has never been my intention to defend the BWF.

In fact, I have criticised the BWF:
    for not sharing money raised to help cities wishing to stage the SSF,
    for not using money raised to implement the 'Hawk-Eye' to help in lines judging,
    for not investigating 'Match Fixing' when they are obvious,
    etc......

The things that I have praised the BWF have been:
    for the introduction of the Super Series to create more interests amongst Badminton fans,
    for the introduction of the 'Rally Point Scoring" to make Badminton more 'Television Friendly',
    for providing assistance to countries where Badminton is not popular, like starting Badminton coaching centres there and buying equipments for them,
    etc......

It has been great that Badminton Central has provided us a forum to discuss many things, to promote Badminton to everybody, and to make Badminton a popular sport in the future.

Most Important: Let us do our little part to help make Badminton great to play and to watch.

#255 chris-ccc, Dec 7, 2008
  16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

In that case, the source of your information was wrong ;)

Apparently, there are many cities (as listed by Hau-Ge) who could afford to host the Super Series Final. But, BWF, for some reason, decided to not to choose among any one of those. So, it has to be the sponsorship issue :eek: Because, if money wasn't the issue, BWF could just choose to hold it in those countries who are more than willing to host the event.

Personally, I don't think BWF have that kind of money. Yonex-Sunrise has been one of its biggest sponsors and this time round, they come out with the sponsorship,

#256 badMania, Dec 7, 2008
  17. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yup, chris@ccc have been misled and also have misguided thoughts... The BWF situation regarding SS Finals is clear for some of us. But not so clear to him even after so many explanations. Just leave him with his own thoughts. It is his right to choose to be misled and misguided...

18. CYW2006

CYW2006 Regular Member

so anyone got info that chinese player are coming or not?
    thanks

19. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    1.are the players in tennis report to ATP or WTA or ITF ????
    i think it's no either....what's the advantage to report to BWF or ATP or WTA or ITF??????
    2. it's very easy for you to forget their real matches before Semi Final and u just remember the semifinal matches
    3.LOL,, it should be like this: Another country worried that China will dominate the tournament so BWF made the rule to prevent China from dominating this sport and make this sport more popular,,,, SO the one who are not Confident of winning the tittle should not be CHINA,,,,
    4. Chinawass the most affected country by this rules....

PS: i'm sorry but it seems that u always doubt about Chinese players abillity of winning the matches and always think about conspiracy in China team,, meanwhile u TOTALLY forget how the Chinese players PRACTICE so HARD to produce a good result... i can say even HARDER than your idol...

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Well, 2007 was the BWF political-infighting year between the President and the ex-Deputy, only resolved middle of this year ..... so no wonder BWF didn't concentrate too much on finding sponsors for Super Series last year.