ANNOUNCEMENT : new look for BC

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, May 25, 2007.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Kwun,

If you would like to centre the page, just add this at the end of your stylesheet:
    #fullheightcontainer {
    margin: 0 auto;
    }
    I've tested it (IE6, IE7, and FF2) on your site and it works. Strangely, nothing happens in Opera, but that hardly matters. IE5 never gets this right, but it won't be harmed either.

BTW -- hacky, hacky stylesheet :p Beware the allure of CSS hacks. They are fiends in disguise. Bewaaaaare! ;)

#61 Gollum, May 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    so, the search option still down huh? had a jolly good time browsing manually through the various topics. found some topics i never read before. so there is a silver lining.... he he he he :D

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I don't think 'auto' works with IE6, does it? Not at least what I read and tested.

One hack I know of is to use
    Code:
    text-align:center;
    to centre all elements into the page, then
    Code:
    text-align:left;
    for all elements in the DIV itself, provided all the boxes are DIVs, not tables. ;)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'll say again: I tested it for BC, and it worked ;)

Yes, "auto margins" do work with IE6. They fail in IE5, for which the hack you mention is necessary.

They only fail if IE6 is in quirks mode -- that is, it's behaving as IE5. Kwun has declared a correct Doctype, so IE6 is in standards compliant mode.

And I knew it would work before I even looked at his code, because my browser tells me whether a site is in standards compliant mode or quirks mode :D

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

By the way, wilfredlgf --

If you are making websites in quirks mode, I highly recommend you change. IE6 is bad enough without using the IE5 layout/rendering engine.

Fix your site with the right DOCTYPE!

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Nay, I did it with the proper DOCTYPE - in fact I can't remember how many times I went to ALA to look for the correct notation.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    I blame the Mammons! :mad:

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmm, that's strange :(

If you use Firefox, the excellent webdev extension indicates whether a site is in standards or quirks mode.

I've been using auto margins for ages with no problems in IE6/Win :confused: I keep the text-align hack for IE5 only.

**Edit**

I think I found your problem.

Doctype switching depends on which doctypes the browser recognises. If you are using XHTML Trans. with an XML declaration, then it appears that IE6 will render in quirks mode.

See this page for details: http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/

Frankly, I can't see a good reason for using XHTML anyway, given that IE doesn't support the correct MIME type. It's just asking for headaches :( Unless you need to incorporate another markup module such as MathML, XHTML currently does nothing better than HTML.

I use good old HTML 4.01. It doesn't have that sexy "X" in front, but in all other respects it works just as well.

#67 Gollum, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I was wondering about that myself a long while ago but one of the really important features of XHTML is the 'portability' of the code, making it readable in all standard devices.

Either way, XHTML does have some advantages - the most important being that people would care to code it properly albeit a little stricter and possibly lengthier eg. target="_blank" getting depreciated.

So in this case, neither you and I were wrong - it's just the browser being improperly programmed to parse the code. I just happened to stumble upon XHTML when the boss asked me to redesign the company's webpage.

Don't get me started on IE's CSS support.

Still, [​IMG] would look pretty sexy on a website as much as the ISO series are on an industrial brochure and namecard, yes? ;)

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I like the idea of ultra-strict coding -- so that if you make a syntax error, the whole thing breaks :D That way, everyone would be forced to correct their mistakes.

It's a fanciful, code-geek dream. It's not going to happen, however much I'd like it to -- not until WYSIWYG programs generate valid code by default.

But I validate my code anyway. Okay, so the HTML 4.01 validator won't check for nuances such as closing <p> and <li> tags. Big deal. I write them anyway, and if I miss one it's hardly the end of the world.

Just remember that if XHTML is served with a MIME type of "text/html", then it is no longer XHTML.

On the whole, I agree with Anne van Kesteren on the merits of XHTML:
    XHTML is invalid HTML.

#69 Gollum, May 30, 2007
  10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This page is also good on the reality of XHTML: http://webkit.org/blog/?p=68

Also, Mozilla doesn't like XHTML too much: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html#xhtmldiff

#70 Gollum, May 30, 2007
  11. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    On the matter of merits and demerits of XHTML, I have to mention that XHTML self-educates by pointing out how tags are properly used as most newbies (me included) began learning web coding by imitating/copying/studying codes from other sites, great majority which aren't properly written eg. no closing tags. HTML care little if not whether they existed or not.

Still, the regimented style of coding brought about by XHTML does help to make it clearer and cleaner - try debugging a piece of web code when you don't know where the elements start and stop. It's like doing C++ without the closing brackets or semicolon! :)

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I rue lack of the possibilities of a joker coming in here and saying:

"Get a room, you two geeks".

:D

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Too late now, you beat them to it ;)

I agree with all your points about XHTML. The purist in me wants to use XHTML. The purist in me feels that XHTML is The One True Way. The purist in me lusts after birch-rod beatings from a stricter master.

But the web developer in me says, "Don't be a fool. Web design is not an aesthetic ideal; it's not about being clever for the sake of being clever. Web design is about making sites work."

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Screw validation and embrace the graphical utopia that is Frontpage and Dreamweaver!

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Erk!

They don't make sites that work; they just make sites that appear to work.

Similarly...screw Frontpage and Dreamweaver, and embrace the graphical supernova that is Photoshop. Make the website one big image, and every browser will display it perfectly!

#75 Gollum, May 30, 2007
  16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    :D

But we digress...

Nice vertical green bar.

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    i am glad there's self admitted geeks here. not that i dont love em. in fact i need you guys to answer one of my questions. does the search option not working for everybody or is it just me? because if everybody else have no problem with the search option, maybe i need to see what my computer problem is. sorry to be a bother. :D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Mine is fine..^^

..at least on my end..what specifically are you looking for or not seeing??..:confused:

19. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

That's almost what I do :). I create one big design in Photoshop, then when it's finished I cut/slice it up as necessary. My two main website tools are Photoshop and Notepad :D.

20. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    whenever i click on the search option, nothing came out. like it's hanged or something. but nothing came out. usually, before, when i clicked on the search option, a pop out that shows an small area where i can type in what i want to search. now, nothing comes out at all. :(