Australian players are hit with food poisoning

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by chris-ccc, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I assume they did not stay in London - Derby is town about 2 hours away from London. Presumably this is their training camp before going down to London.

2. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

why always got this kind of thing happens when come to Olympics?:rolleyes:

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. They stayed at the same hotel. Usually hotels include breakfast....but not lunch and dinner.

So that narrows down to when they got infected.

9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The organizers said those are not official facilities. The official facilities should be okay.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection

You are correct. :):):)

According to BBC News; they were eating at the Mickleover Court Hotel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18954375

London 2012: Badminton teams suffer hotel stomach bug

Five members of Australia and Canada's badminton teams were among a number of guests who fell ill with suspected food poisoning at a hotel in Derby.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) investigated when guests suffered stomach bugs after eating at the Mickleover Court Hotel last week.

Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection, the HPA said.

The hotel, which briefly shut after the illness but has now reopened, said it closed as a precautionary measure.

The three Australians have fully recovered but two Canadians had to miss a warm-up match on Saturday.

The Australian badminton players were Ross Smith, Renuga Veeran and Glenn Warfe, while Michelle Li and Alex Bruce were the ill Canadians.

The HPA said: "Norovirus has been identified as the cause of the infection and we are working with environmental health officers from South Derbyshire District Council to identify the source of the illness.

"Norovirus is the most common cause of infectious gastroenteritis (diarrhoea and vomiting) in England and Wales.

"People can suffer from norovirus at any time of the year, although activity increases in the winter months.

"It usually resolves in one or two days and there are no long-term effects."

The HPA said norovirus was easily transmitted by contact with an infected person, by consuming contaminated food or water or by contact with contaminated surfaces.

The hotel said it did not feel it could take the risk of waiting for results of tests from Environmental Health Officers before closing.

It added that the hotel was now open as normal and a team worked hard to reduce any disruption to events that had been scheduled to take place over the weekend.

12. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Norovirus is a horrible virus, I caught a strain of it earlier this year after visiting a sick relative in hospital.

In my case symptoms develop very quickly, I started feeling a bit rough mid-morning and by early afternoon I had my head down the toilet. Unfortunately the vomitting it induces is unrelenting and eventually painfull as you will vomit even with an empty stomach and nothing comming up. In addition it feels like your whole body is inflammed and saps you of strength, I caused my housemate a minor panic when he came home from work and found me asleep face down on the toilet floor (lol!).

As for recovery my fever passed 24-36 hours after first symptoms, but my whole alimentary canal feelt raw. I got ill on the thursday and didn't eat again until the following saturday evening and even that was very painful, it took me until around tuesday to be eating properly again.

In my case I was fully recovered after a week, with proper medical care I would imagine you could knock a couple of days off of that. In the first 12 hours I lost half a stone in weight through mainly fluid loss (this is what puts some people in hosptital) so I can imagine the team doctors would have had the affected parties on a drip to rehydrate them.

Unfortunately the virus is highly contagious and can live for up to two weeks on clothes and the like. During vomitting and diarrhoea the virus is aerosolised and can be contracted that way. I don't blame them for leaving that hotel, I would have checked out too...and burned my clothes :D

13. visor

visor Regular Member

As i mentioned earlier, its most likely a virus and not food poisoning.

You don't just simply get if from eating at a hotel or restaurant. It can be easily passed on and contracted if you eat or even touch your face without washing hands after a simple handshake or touching a contaminated door handle. It can happen in a daycare, a school or even a nursing home.

One thing for sure, after this mini outbreak, you can bet that athletes will be shaking hands much less often. ;)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's a really good point... who is Michelle Li playing in the first round? WYH... :eek:

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha! I'd like to see the reactions on the officials and WYH's face when they have to shake hands with Michelle pre and post game. :p

16. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

lol! I joke you not, I was walking around my house with a pair of gloves on to make sure I didn't pass it on as you are contagious for a little while after symptoms clear up.

I'm sure the doctors are on top of it though...probably :p

17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    In this case, it's advisable to alter the rule a bit to allow as an option the Thai-style distant greeting (holding two closing palms in the middle of the chest... amithaba), it's much safer than the usual handshake (which can be virally contagious!!) :D

The last thing we all wanna witness is any Olympian fails to perform (properly) because of any unfortunate sudden sickness!! Anyone incl. athlete may fall into sickness but not at this very moment during the Games!

18. visor

visor Regular Member

that thai amithaba greeting or japanese bow sounds perfect in this environment where health is at a premium ;)

hmmm... i wonder how long a break the umpire can give to a player if mid match he/she has to answer an "urgent" nature's call to the potty? :D

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Gastro, what gastro, say badminton squad

Now, our AUS team has moved into the Olympic Village. And they say that the meals at the village's food-court is great.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8504834

Gastro, what gastro, say badminton squad

ninemsn.com.au
    WED JUL 25 2012

They may have lost their lunches, but none of their edge, insist the three Australian badminton players struck down with gastro in pre-Olympics training last week.

Beijing Olympians Ross Smith, Glenn Warfe and debutant Renuga Veeran were confined to their beds after suffering food poisoning just two days into a week-long training camp in Derby, outside London.

But Smith, 27, says the trio are back to their fighting best, denying it will have any lingering effect on their London campaigns.

"We pretty much had 24 hours where we didn't do a hell of a lot, but after that we got fluids back into us and were back into training," he said on Tuesday, a week since their communal malaise.

"Our preparation has been as good as it would have been, so I've got no doubts we'll be fine."

Veeran agreed, although she confessed it was a bit of a downer in kicking off their London adventure.

"We were all excited and looking forward to the camp and it was a little hiccup.

"But it's been a pretty fast recovery.

"I don't feel like I'm going to get impacted by it - you never know - but fingers crossed."

The UK's health agency has identified norovirus as the culprit, but no word yet on the source.

Two members of the Canadian team, who were guests at the same Derby hotel, also fell ill and like the Aussies, missed one warm-up match while on camp.

Despite the scare, Veeran isn't taking any precautions now she's in the Olympic village, rating the food court its best feature.

Smith said it was the most finished village he's come across, after attending Beijing and the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006 and four years later in Delhi.

20. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Being from derby, involved in the Olympics and knowing well the hotel they stayed at and the training centre i can say the place where the Australia and Canadian team stayed are not greatly thought of. In addition norovirus was confirmed which is easily caught and transmitted person to person so potentially they could have been unlucky and then passed among the training squads. Also team GB where never present the practice sessions were vs retired British players and some of team England (wallwork, mills) not involved in the olympics.

The hotel had nothing to do with the Olympics and is not an official holding camp, unlike where the athletes are staying now where i'm told from various players the food is excellent. LCW and LYD are very happy so i'd take it from them its good enough in london!