Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. volcom

volcom Regular Member

It tells us more about his inflated ego that doesn't want to be popped.
    His self-esteem, dignity and image.... He can't let old Rexy boss him around.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe kkk acknowledged that he is likely less compatiable with all other double candidates in BAM. He has to do with what he got.

3. victory

victory Regular Member

4. victory

victory Regular Member

Exactly. KKK clearly stipulated that he does not want a split and TBH responded by saying it will take one year to build understanding with new partner. As I have said in another thread I think deep down they still know they have got the best partner they can have. Don't forget KKK have 2 partners before and TBH have one different partner earlier. It is not that they bump into each other as first love and a week later go straight to registration you know what I mean?:D:p

Hey even long time couple still need to work hard on their marriage right? ;)So give them some time and space. I still think they are on the right track of bouncing back.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

but remember, kkk/tbh marriage is an arranged one:p
    and they have produced some babies (aka titles) already.
    question, can they still produce babies:confused::D
    the godfather thinks no but this pair now said yes.
    Now u r saying they still needed more dating and romance:?
    :D:p:eek::cool::):eek::D

#605 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

they need to rekindle their .... ummmm .... 'love'.
    maybe a marriage counsellor.
    from what the star's reported, rexy is none too pleased.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, Victory, wah... you remember what I post eh? Actually.... TBH's intv in Metro was before Penang Open, hmmmm.. right after the welcoming ceremony for LCW by Prime Minister. After that only reporters bug KKK abt it during Penang O. :D

Theirs was not a love at 1st sight "marriage". It was arranged, after many thorns, hills, valleys, now only they show their "love", I also surprised, always thought TBH was scared of KKK. ;)

And as usual, after Rexy cool down a bit. In the other NST article, some names are not in the future list :

NST

5 Sept

Rexy gives top pair another go

[​IMG]
    Koo Kien Keat (left) and Tan Boon Heong will get the chance to compete in six events to prove they are still the top pair.

NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky has softened his stance with temperamental doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and has given them an additional four months to save their playing career.
    Rexy, after seeing one failure too many from his once top pair, had initially given them just two tournaments — the China Masters (Sept 23-28) and Macau Open (Sept 30-Oct 5) — to show good improvement or face a split.

But now, Kien Keat-Boon Heong, whose semi-final appearance in the Asian Badminton Championships in April was their best result this year, will get the opportunity to compete in six events to prove they still have what it takes.

The other four being the Denmark (Oct 21-26), French (Oct 28-Nov 2), China (Nov 18-23) and Hong Kong (Nov 25-30) Opens, which should either see them remain as a pair or begin new challenges with different partners.

Rexy said he is not on a witch-hunt after the pair’s failure at the Beijing Olympics but wants Kien Keat-Boon Heong to bounce back quickly.
    “I’m not trying to penalise them because they lost in Beijing but they must realise their mistakes quickly and bounce back. This is why I’m giving a slightly longer period for them to prove their worth,” said Rexy.

“They have got only one semi-final to show for this year and that’s not their quality and Kien Keat-Boon Heong know this.

“If they continue losing in the first or second round all the time, they will realise themselves that a change in partnership is inevitable.

“If they still continue producing the same results, they give us no choice. We (coaches) will only look stupid if we allow them to continue as a pair if the current opportunity is not utilised wisely.”

Kien Keat, after his outburst that Boon Heong and himself would quit the national team if they are split-up, refrained from making any comments but vowed to give his best in the coming tournaments.

If Kien Keat-Boon Heong’s form does not pick up, there is a strong possibility they will be competing with new partners in January’s Malaysia Open.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Sport/20080905082416/Article/index_html

8. PaulYong

PaulYong Regular Member

There is no point harping on the same issue again and again. Since KKK/TBH
    could not perform lately, it is high time to chop them off from BAM and concentrate on training new pairs. Just imagine how KKK threatened to leave. If he wants to leave, let him go instead of retaining him. How much longer can BAM compromise with such arrogant and big headed players?

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Their pride will be tarnished if they let Rexy do whatever he wants with them, since they are SUPERSTARS.
    I think you should to learn to read between the lines of words.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

To molly cuddle or not to molly cuddle:D

--------------------------------------

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday September 5, 2008

Badminton: Dealing with arrogance

By RAJES PAUL

NATIONAL coach Rexy Mainaky is concerned over the future of the men’s doubles department.

He feels that some of the current players in the set-up are arrogant and living in their past glory. He fears that this will result in the downfall of these players.

And when Rexy spoke about shuttler Koo Kien Keat a day ago, he said that he was actually referring to the men’s doubles department as a whole.

Is arrogance a common trait among the cream of the crop of Malaysian athletes? Or is it just a one-off matter between a coach and his players as far as badminton is concerned.

The Malaysian sports fraternity had mixed response on this but they were careful with what they had to say – after all it is a delicate matter.

RAZIF SIDEK (former doubles star and national chief coach): Players do not like to be controlled, especially those who have won titles. They should be treated like adults. It is something that the coach should know.

And when a player is down, he needs motivation and support from the people around them more than anything. As a player, I was caught in such a situation. I wanted to stay out but the association wanted me inside the training camp.

The players’ convenience should be looked into as long as they produce results. There must be reasons behind their arrogance. Are the training sessions creative enough to help the players stay focused?

When I was the coach, Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock were under my care. I treated them like adults. If we are compassionate and understanding, players will give their best in training.

Why is it that players always end up being blamed for failures in major events? Shouldn’t the coaches share the blame too? After all, it is an effort by the whole team and not a single person.

DATUK SIEH KOK CHI (Olympic Council of Malaysia secretary): As a coach, Rexy is the closest to the players and he knows best. I sympathise with him.

He is like a father trying to get his wayward child back on the right path. I wish Rexy had made this known earlier, two or three months before the Beijing Olympics. We could have done something to help.

But what has happened is common. After all, sport is human-based. It is about feelings and temperaments. One cannot get too emotional though.

It is important for a coach to convey his message to his player.

It is more of immaturity and playfulness rather than arrogance. Parental care and advice are important to counter peer pressure.

The coach cannot be too ambitious than the players themselves. The players themselves need to be honest. Maybe, it is time for some soul-searching.

MOHD ARIFFIN GHANI (National Sports Council’s elite programme director): I deal with athletes a lot. Arrogance is acceptable as long as it is not directed towards their coaches or officials. It should be aimed at their opponents.

Sometimes, being arrogant helps when the athletes are on court. An athlete should be very proud of himself and his achievements and not feel small.

Look at Nicol David. She is all sweet and nice but when she is on court, she is someone else altogether.

I was at the Beijing Olympics and had the opportunity to chat with tennis stars (Novak) Djokovic and (Jelena) Jankovic.

They were very forthcoming when I asked them about their training programmes. They were quite relaxed and friendly. But on court, these Serbians are different persons altogether. They can be arrogant.

DATUK NAIM MOHD (deputy president of Malaysian National Cycling Federation): We try to provide guidance and counselling when we deal with the athletes. Usually, we will know when success gets to their heads.

Level-headed: Most officials agree world number one Nicol David has acted responsibly despite all her successes. But having said that, we should allow for some flexibility. Good athletes, who perform well, should be given a chance to show off. At the same time, they must be consistent in their performances. I think, as a number one, the athlete deserves to be arrogant. We can tolerate that.

Prominence and popularity come with success. There will be a lot of fan mails and if they cannot handle this, it can affect their concentration.

As a sport official, we do get worried when our athletes get the recognition for their successes. There is a tendency for them to change. We need to know the way to address them at this stage.

So far, Nicol David (world number one squash player) has acted responsibly despite all the successes. We hope that others will emulate her.

My final thought on this is that it is better that the coach and player have their matters sorted out behind closed doors for a start.

A. ARIVALAGAN (chief coach of the national karate team): Without prejudice, I have to say that arrogance, be it inside or outside of the arena, spells disaster for any athlete.

Intelligence and how an athlete carries himself outside of court are often neglected and most athletes fail to realise that it is another important part of achieving greatness in sport.

A world and Olympic champion like Rexy can clearly distinguish between a champion’s character and of being arrogant.

An athlete has to be clever in determining the priorities that can lead to their desired goals.

In a sport like karate, achieving success is near impossible if these qualities are neglected. Coming from a sport that evolves purely around discipline, hierarchy, respect and obedience, I am certainly against this negative personality trait.

All of the above elements are regarded as the key contributing factors to our success as far as Malaysian karate is concerned.

Each day without fail, I try to instil these qualities in my athletes. And as a result, karate is now cruising through and achieving success in a sport that was once dominated by the Europeans.

#611 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  12. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    An article from bolanews.com:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Kegagalan Ganda Putra Malaysia di Beijing 2008[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]Mental Pemain Malaysia Jelek![/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Meski menyesal gagal mempersembahkan medali emas pertama Olimpiade bagi Malaysia, pelatih ganda putra bulutangkis Malaysia asal Indonesia, Rexy Mainaky, malah mendapat hikmah lain.

“Dalam hati kecil saya, ada baiknya ganda Malaysia tak meraih medali emas Olimpiade Beijing. Jika mereka juara, pasti akan makin sombong. Bisa-bisa kepala saya akan diinjak-injak,” tegas Rexy.

Pelatih berusia 40 tahun yang sejak 2005 menangani tim Malaysia itu menyebut kegagalan dua ganda Malaysia, Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong serta Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook, karena mereka sudah merasa sombong dan besar kepala. Mereka terlalu yakin akan bisa menyabet emas bagi negaranya untuk pertama kali.

“Bahkan, ketika mereka bisa melangkah ke babak kedua dan akan bertemu Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan, Koo/Tan sudah yakin menang. Keduanya malah sudah berpikir siapa lawan di babak ketiga. Itu sudah terlalu sombong,” ujarnya saat ditemui di sela-sela invitasi bulutangkis internasional veteran di kampus MBA, Pouchong Selangor, Minggu, (31/8).

So my guess was right, MAS pair indeed underestimated INA pair. Too arrogant. Already prepared for SF. This comes from Rexy himself.

Di mata Rexy, setelah tampil hebat di sepanjang 2007, kedua anak didikannya itu memang tidak memiliki mental juara. Karakter mereka berubah, menjadi sombong dan memandang remeh lawan. “Mentalitas pemain saya memang payah,” tegas ayah dua anak, Nadine dan Christian, ini.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I rarely say something this harsh, but, gotta say this once in a while:
    Serves them right for underestimating our pair.

I'm sorry. No hard feeling.

#612 Jagdpanther, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  13. PaulYong

PaulYong Regular Member

#613 PaulYong, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    differ ppl have differ opinion...let see when this year end...:)

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

kkk/tbh are lucky because the uncles retired, BAM needed something to fill the interm gap or else they are left with just one semi-reliable pair -fuzzy.

16. victory

victory Regular Member

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

18. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER

Split them immediately. No need to want until year end...(Year-End Stock Clearance??:D)

19. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    i heard kkk dun participate in japan open..

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    SURE...he didnt...