Tournament video camera angle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by visor, Sep 15, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Time to revive this thread again... :p

After watching Singapore Open and Indonesia Open... :(

Why do they still persist in placing the cameras so high that the perspective is compressed? :mad:
    Totally unable for a viewer to distinguish a drive from a clear or even a smash...

And what the heck is it with the Indonesia Open that they only show the server from the side view every time they serve, but completely omit the receiver. Only after the 3rd shot is the whole court shown but by then we've missed the 2nd and 3rd shots played, and those are the most important shots in a rally! Or don't those producers know anything about badminton?! :mad:

The best productions are still from All England, where perspective and shuttle speed are well appreciated. In those ones, the top of the net is just projected over the baselines.

#21 visor, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suspect the height of the camera is such because of the design of the hall. i.e. the camera platform is at a fixed height. I agree the compressed perspective makes the viewing less appreciable.

3. rayvinly

rayvinly Regular Member

iOS Developer/Mentor/Trainer/Author
    I think for casual observers the higher camera angle shows the players on the far court more clearly so watchers can see everyone. But for those of us looking to appreciate the speed and angles of the game and watching detailed things to improve our own games, the lower angle is a far better option. But unfortunately, the higher angle shows the sponsors more prominently and probably appeal to more TV watchers.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, I see what you mean about the far court players and sponsor placards.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

But surely they must be able to set up another camera platform at a lower height that still won't block the spectators. Maybe if they and BWF receive enough feedback and complaints from us the viewers, they may solve this issue.

#25 visor, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not really. If you go to a few venues, the camera platform is a fixed flat structure within the audience seats. It's impossible to alter height bar ripping out seats and changing the underlying structure to keep it stable. It all really depends on the venue design.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, I know. That's why I was thinking they should set up another structure at the playing level and build up a bit to the correct height.