Koo Kean Keat & Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Folks, this is not a chat-line for a personal one-on-one :p

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Koo hurt by scathing remarks by national coach Rexy

From the Star (as always):

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Doubles shuttler Koo Kien Keat is a tough guy. But yesterday, he broke down in tears at the Bukit Jalil Sports Complex.

The 22-year-old Kien Keat was hurt, distraught and disappointed over coach Rexy Mainaky's latest outburst over his performances in two recent tournaments in Europe.

With partner Tan Boon Heong, the duo failed in their defence of the All-England and Swiss Open titles, crashing out in the first and second round respectively.

Rexy was annoyed over their early exits and said that he saw a lack of commitment from Kien Keat.

The Indonesian bawled Kien Keat out over his lifestyle and said that he hoped rumours about Kien Keat’s love for parties and spending a lot of time with girls were not true. Rexy also said that Boon Heong now lacked trust in his partner.

Although caught by surprise with Rexy's scathing remarks, Kien Keat said he would not hold them against his coach. Instead, he would focus on getting back on his feet in a pursuit for glory in the Beijing Olympics.

I have never cried over badminton. This is the first time ... I have not even cried over a girl. This is so embarrassing but for the first time, I feel so hurt,” said Kien Keat.

“I think, this is the most severe criticism that I have received from Rexy. As a top player, the pressure has just become so great. It is getting harder to play and enjoy the game like I used to do. I played poorly at Europe. I admit it. It has nothing to do with lack of skill or physical ability but it still has got to do with my mental preparation. I am working on it.”

Kien Keat said that he had been misunderstood.

It is hard to accept the fact that my coach and my partner do not trust me. That hurts. I would have hoped that they would believe me instead of some people spreading the rumours,” he said.

“But I do not blame them either. Maybe, I was misunderstood. I have lots of friends, and yes, some of them are girls. But maybe that was misconstrued. :eek:

But if that is what my coach does not like (mingling with girls), I will have to reduce my communication with them."

I do not know why my lifestyle is questioned now. This is how I have been since I partnered (Chan) Chong Ming and Boon Heong. Yes, I do party and change my hairstyles often but I know my limits. I do not go partying when I have a duty to fulfil. I know that I have been a responsible player.”

After having a heart-to-heart talk with national assistant coach Pang Cheh Chang before a light workout at the gymnasium yesterday, Kien Keat said that he would give full commitment to his tasks as a player.

“Rexy said that I lack the commitment in training and I have grown big-headed.

I do not see it but if Rexy is saying it, then, there may be some truth in it. I will work on (correcting) this,” he said.

I am also criticised for putting up a one-man show during a match. Probably that is my weakness. I tend to take control of the game. But this has been a habit and I will learn to change that too.

I respect Boon Heong and we have a professional relationship on the court and I intend to keep it that way.”

After coming so close, Kien Keat said that he was not giving up hope on playing in his first Olympic Games.

Currently ranked at number three in the world, Kien Keat-Boon Heong are as good as assured of a place in the Games.

I will do anything that is required to help Malaysia win a medal at the Olympics,” he said.

I know, I am emotionally down right now. But I am looking at everything on a positive note.

Hopefully, I will bounce back before the Thomas Cup Finals (in May) and the Olympics (in August). That is my focus right now.”

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Rexy to decide on plans for Koo-Tan on Friday

PETALING JAYA: National men's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky returned home yesterday with a wish – to see better commitment from Koo Kien Keat.
    He will give himself a few days before making a decision on future plans for Kien Keat and his partner, Tan Boon Heong, on Friday.

And his decision will include their participations in several major tournaments, among them the Thomas Cup Finals and the Beijing Olympics.

Rexy was disappointed with the performances of Kien Keat-Boon Heong in the recent All-England and Swiss Open.

He kept his emotions in check after their first-round exit in the All-England but blew his top after the duo crashed out in the second round at the Swiss Open.

“I got affected when I heard rumours about Kien Keat in the team,” said Rexy. There is talk about him partying and having lots of female friends. I am not happy with that.”

“Some say that they want to win medals for the country but they do not show it. I am not against people enjoying their life but are they committed and disciplined? How are they spending their money?

I have spoken about this many times to Kien Keat but I do not see him doing anything about it. He is not a small boy anymore.

“In fact, his performance has gotten worse. Boon Heong, on the other hand, has showed great improvement.”

Rexy said he would rather disassociate with a player who was unable to give full commitment.

I work for Malaysia and not for only one player.

I will give up on them if they do not show the same interest like what I have for them. It is up to the players to show their commitment,” he said.

On the participation of Kien Keat-Boon Heong in the Beijing Olympics, Rexy said: “I will decide on Friday on the plans I have for them.”

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Not easy for being a badminton player.....

5. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Sigh..Don't know who to believe now but i hope the rumours about KKK is not true especially the part that he like to hanging out with many girls.This will definitely affect his image if the rumour is true.Anyway,i still hope he and Tan can play in the Olympic game.Just hopw that he will be strong to overcome all the obstacle.

#245 Jessica, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  6. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i just read from today kompas newspaper, what make KKK be in downhill stage are to much partying and arrogant, as matter as fact those KKK's attitudes have disguted TBH... rexy has given an ultimatum to KKK, he may be 'written-off' from mas OG squad

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I just read that part too :eek:

Quite unusual for Kompas to highlight a Malaysian player's "downfall". Maybe the journalist was too over-excited, esp the last part when he mentioned that Kido/Hendra never won against Koo/Tan. Koo/Tan's withdrawal from the Olympics undoubtedly will boost Kido/Hendra's chance of a Gold Medal in the Beijing Games ;)

Here's some snippets, for the benefit of Malaysians who can read Bahasa:

Koo Kien Keat Terancam Gagal ke Olimpiade

Rabu, 19 Maret 2008 | 00:36 WIB
    "Koo Kien Keat's chance of going to the Olympics is feared to be in jeopardy".

Kuala Lumpur, Selasa - Karena dinilai terlalu arogan dan gemar pesta berlebihan, atlet papan atas bulu tangkis Malaysia, Koo Kien Keat, terancam gagal bertarung di ajang Olimpiade Beijing 2008, Agustus mendatang. Koo—yang menjadi juara ganda putra di All England 2007 bersama pasangannya, Tan Boon Heong—menurut pelatihnya, Rexy Mainaki, sebagai orang yang keras kepala.

-- translation from highlighted words: Koo Kien Keat was labelled as too arrogant, stubborn, and like to party a lot :eek:

”Kita lihat saja beberapa pekan ini. Kalau ia (Koo) tidak membaik, saya tak punya pilihan lain kecuali mencoret mereka dari daftar yang ke Olimpiade,” tambah Rexy, seperti dikutip harian New Straits Times, Selasa (18/3).

-- if there's no improvement in Koo, I don't have any other choice except to exclude their names from the Olympics, added Rexy

Rexy mengaku sudah berkali-kali menasihati Koo, tetapi Koo tak pernah mau mendengarkan. ”Dia terlalu besar kepala, bahkan Boon Heong saja sudah muak dengan dia,” kata Rexy, yang melatih di Malaysia sejak 2005. ”Kalau perempuan adalah masalah utama kejatuhannya, ia lebih baik jauh-jauh dari olahraga.”

-- Rexy admitted to have advised Koo many times, but Koo never seemed to listen :cool: "Koo is too big-headed, even Boon Heong is also disgusted with his partner now. If woman is the main problem for his downfall, he will be better off leaving the sport (badminton)."

8. taufik-ist

it administrator

thanks... badmania for your full translation of kompas article... :D

i hope this kompas article doesn't make MK/HS 'lengah'..

9. Leoximus

Leoximus Regular Member

Sales n marketing manager
    To KKK, if ur reading this..

for some strange reason u remind me of Sakuragi Hanamichi of Slam Dunk fame.. maybe because of ur on court persona( i dont know).. I believe u have what it takes to be the best, and i believe the whole nation also thinks the same way.. maybe that's why the criticisms are very harsh..

take it in ur stride, don't let it get u down but learn from it..

We are all behind u guys.. as the Slam Dunk team says

Malaysia FIGHT,FIGHT,FIGHT!!!

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..ahem..

(rest of Kompas' article snipped for brevity)..
    ..i know who else, in BC, will be "shivering with glee" IF KKK&TBH won't go to the Olympics...;)

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There will be many with smiles on their faces...trust me on that ;)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm sure many will not only be smiling.. but laughing all the way.

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Now i know how do britney's fans feel.

Having a thought or opinion based on articles?
    Please la..

14. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    disappointed as i am with the current situation, i still hope for them to make it to the olympics. :( if not for the fans (that includes the die hard fans and even those who love to critic them) then, they must do it for themselves. olympics glory is hard to achieve.

but if rexy says they shouldn't go, i hope malaysians will accept that because sending an unprepared player to the olympics are merely a waste of money.

let's hope they buck up and buck up real fast. and even though some people here are so against hoping for something they think are never gonna happen, just let the hopers hope ok. no harm done. :)

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

One less foe gone :eek:

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Kkk/tbh going downhill on late '07 - early '08.The best result this year.Round 2..Others - 1st round already out.
    But who will dare to say,this is the end of the road?
    those who scared to have dreams are losers.Hear that?LOSERS.

N sis aza,yes.I agree with rexy.He is in charge.We appointed him.We think he has what it takes to train our athletes.So,now..We cant just simply say he is wrong in making decision.Just cant.

I wont just believe in all rumours n having a thought based on them.
    KKK is an individual that has proved himself before.I've seen a good side of him as a national shuttler.That matters most.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ok, do hope really really hard ok.

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ya know..

..after reading all of these latest news/reports, KKK's baddy talent but seemingly rather "flamboyant" lifestyle, attitude and lack of discipline issues remind me of another young (used to be) phenom, living not too far from M'sia........guess who??.........................................yep, Taufik Hidayat..(of course, minus all the incidents of assaulting and provoking fans & public; blonde hairdo and "overly accessorized" bling2 collection)..

20. taufik-ist

it administrator
    at least he can 'convert' his those attitudes with good achievements :D :D