Gosen Customedge Type X

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mso663, Aug 6, 2013.

1. korke78

korke78 Regular Member

But... has anyone tried the new Customedge?

2. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

After the guys did a showcase, I went and tried the series myself.

I personally prefer the Customedge Type V, as it is nicely middle balanced and feels good swinging through the air.

The Customedge Type X is lighter, but feels a bit different. Maybe I'm not that aggressive type of player, so can't use it as well?

The Customedge Type S is very solid. I think aimed more for intermediate players.

I love the matte finish on their racquets. Best quality I've seen in ages.

3. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Did you take any close pics?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. A review is in progress .

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Nice. Waiting for it. Is for the Type X or V?

6. mso663

mso663 Regular Member

Unfortunately no. Waiting for the review from cheung though =)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I need a bit more time. :)

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    will wait patiently

9. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

eager to see a review of type V :)

10. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    still no review?

11. disci

disci Regular Member

i know... eagerly waiting for a review on these rackets as well.

12. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Just got my shiden. Now looking forward to the type V since it have the same head frame

13. disci

disci Regular Member

how are you liking your shiden?

14. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Its better than my arcsaber 10. Love it very much

15. disci

disci Regular Member

oh nice. yeah i have an arc 10 as well. i moved to a voltric 70 and both my offense and defense have improved (i was surprised but the head feels much faster to me). but i miss the feel of a more balanced racket. could you do a brief comparison of arc 10 to shiden?

on the topic of the custom edge. i was recently in tokyo and they had these rackets at windsor shop in shinjuku. the pain finish was really high quality. the racket seemed really nice and the people in the shop who had played with it seem to really like the custom x. i was asking them about the shiden / ougi and they really liked these rackets as well and one guy there said he actually used a roots 5000 ti which was his fave. i wish i would have bought the custom edge while i was there because i didn't know at the time that they were so hard to get here in the US.

16. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Speed, defend, control and power all points to Shiden compare to the Arc10. One thing is that the Arc10 have a larger sweet spot compare to the Shiden. If you use to play with old carbonex (which I use to) with oval head then it shouldn't be a problem. Shiden feel really stable and solid. Speed is as fast as my Ashaway XW1000. Now I looking at the type V with similar head shape. Order my shiden from Japan last 2 weeks. Email them and they got all type S, V and X. V is the most expensive, then X follow by S. My first JP code racket and with Haribito Pattern string. really nice

17. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Customedge type V review

just received my Customedge type V.. after 2 sessions of game..

really do not know how to describe it... maybe i should use the just one word as advertised " Abnormal".. i did not use the 4 & 8o'clock damper yet , therefore i can only say that this is first review with the damper.. this damper will affect soften the sound, increase the swing weight!

first of all, i do not know whether this is a intermediate racket or not.. it seem so user friendly. only a high intermediate player can bring out the real performance.

many player like me that prefer lesser known Gosen over yonex/victor/Li-Ning will appreciate the quality.

Appearance:

1) striking luminous green.. good paint finish which is very different from the standard samurai style as seem in the Ryoga series. this look very modern.. I guess it is generation change and some may not like it. I like my racket to be eye-catching.

Quality:

1) Grip is the same as the Ryoga Series.. fibre instead of wooden stock.(less vibration shock).
    2) Grommet - the usual high end crafting of grommet with the 10 & 2 o'clock zig-zag grommet layout. come to think of it... it really help to prevent string snapped at the top portion of the racket. I can't see Li-ning/Victor/Kason can create such grommet design yet. only Yonex/Gosen/Adidas having it! but adidas did it with very fat frame...hahaha.
    3) don't expect these racket to be manufactured in Japan.. it will either get it made in China/Thailand where the Gosen Factory are based. but who cares if the quality standard is there..

After 2 session of games:

My string is Gosen pro 66 and tension is 28lbs.

1) Replusion - I will like to give it 10/10 ( any further, it will going to send it out of line.)
    2) Drive - 9.5/10 ( just as good as shiden or maybe sightly better)
    3) Defend - 9.5/10 ( you can lift a shot to base line easily)
    4) Smash - 7.5/10 ( decent smash expected of a headlight racket, maybe the smashing score will increase if i insert the damper on my next re-string)
    5) Drop shot - I can't comment on this as this involve very good skills/wrist/footstep coordination.

why abnormal?? - to me this is a very relaxing/tiring racket to wield and it can be very deadly with fast drive and sharp smash. you dictate the pace instead of the racket control you. just bought a adidas adipower duo force and when compare to my customedge type V...just one word (uncomparable).

definitely this is a very good buy for all Gosen fans! try it and let share its "abnormal".

I will try to upload some of the pics on this Type v 3UG5 on my next post.. i know alot of pple will ask or compare with other rackets.. please feel free to ask and at the same time please let me know what is your current favourite racket.:)

:):)

18. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

juventus1 -> nice meeting you that day. i havent tried the type X yet.. tonight is the night!.. :p

19. disci

disci Regular Member

actually my fave racket is the old carbonex 20 tour. i prefer the feel of oval.
    thanks for the info, i'm definitely picking up a gosen as my next racket, just not sure which one.

also, juventus can correct me if i'm wrong... but when i saw it in the store, i thought that the type v actually has an isometric head? while x and s had oval? not sure if i remembered correctly.

20. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

type X is isometric. type V is oval