Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

dont forget the new 3x3 format too!!! :p

2. kaynofx

kaynofx Regular Member

Hi guys....need your help rgdg my VT80. The info are as follows:

-Weight:3U
    -Tension: 25lbs
    -String: BG 66 Ultimax

When I play with VT80, I can deliver powerful smashes and the sound is nice too. Control is also good and I can place the shuttle anywhere I want. The only problem is that it hurts my shoulder after every game.

For info, I also have a VT70 with the following specs:

-Weight:3U
    -Tension: 24lbs
    -String: BG 66 Ultimax

With my VT70, clears are effortless and smashes are powerful too. And most importantly, I do not have problem with my shoulder when I play with this racket.

Is this something to do with my tension? Do I need to reduce the tension of my VT80? By looking at my case, what is the recommended tension?

Thanks in advance....

kaynofx

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

1lb difference in string tension should not give much difference in feel, especially at such "medium" low tensions.

What you should understand is that the VT80 is significantly head heavier and stiffer in its shaft compared to VT70, both characteristics which makes it feel harder for you to use the racquet and generate more stress for your shoulder to handle during usage.

If you really cannot handle the stress of using the VT80 then I would suggest you to just stick to the VT70 to prevent further injury.

4. kaynofx

kaynofx Regular Member

Blitzzards,

Thanks for replying. Btw, do you have any other suggestions to prevent the injury? e.g lower tension...22lbs etc....just to improves repulsion. For info, I'm an intermediate player.

Man....I really like the power of VT80...and eager to use it as my main racket. As for the VT80, I'll use it for doubles play.

Thanks again...

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

From my experience, string tension is not going to make much difference. You can string your VT80 at 15lbs and the characteristic mass of the racquet will still affect your shoulder when you play. String repulsion is not as dependent on string tension as on string thickness, rather.

What is important is really your physical condition. If you feel pain when using a racquet with such shaft stiffness plus head heaviness, you should not even be playing with it in the first place as it could lead to worse damage to your shoulder.

Otherwise the best route to take if you really want to continue playing with the VT80 is to correct your hitting technique and build up your shoulder resistance to the mass of the VT80 through proper training. That is also how the professional players train themselves to play with the high tensions (as high tension gives more shuttle control and less shuttle "sink-in" on the stringbed that decreases kinetic repulsion).

6. kaynofx

kaynofx Regular Member

oic....in short, at the moment.... my physical,techniques and style of play doesn't suit the VT80. Must improve myself in these areas...heheheh

Yeah...VT80 might be a little heavy for me...I guess.

Thanks Blitzzards...for your advice.

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I was sorta the same like you when I first used my VT80. The shoulders were a bit sore the next day. After continual useage...the pain went away. Basically your muscle isn't used to the weight. Through time you'll be able to handle it no problem. It's like doing 25lbs curls all of a sudden when you used to do 10lbs. Your muscle will hurt until you get stronger.

8. kaynofx

kaynofx Regular Member

CanucksDynasty,

What tension that you maintain for your VT80? Btw, thanks for sharing the info...

9. CanucksDynasty

Currently...
    VT80LTD w/BG66UM @ 27lbs
    VT80 w/BG80 @ 27lbs
    VT80 w/BG80 @ 26lbs

Still trying to find the right strings and tension. But so far...liking 27lbs.

10. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    my VT-80 LTD 4U with BG66UM 27lbs. not bad.. will try BG80P on it soon.

11. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

BG80P is overpriced and not as powerful compared to what you can do with the BG80 ;)

12. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    how much is BG80P in KL/PJ area ?

13. kaynofx

kaynofx Regular Member

I'm also still matching my racket with good strings and tension...

14. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Only problem I don't want to go over 25lbs using my Z-Slash but if I get a VT80 or ARC8DX I'll be happy to string 27lbs+

15. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

when it first came out bg80p is about rm50!i can string zymax 67's 2 times! :D

16. AzrinRain

AzrinRain Regular Member

Hello there, i'm new to the forum.You have been using both the VT80 LTD and the normal VT80, and i have heard that the LTD is a lot head-heavier than the normal. Based on your experience; - How much heavier? - Does it take much more effort to play with it well?- Are all your VT80s 3UG5?Never tried the normal VT80 before, currently using the LTD one @ 30lbs BG66UM, and considering to get the normal one as a spare.

17. CanucksDynasty

All my VT80s are 3UG5. And they are very similar net weight (96-97g). The LTD does not feel heavier than the regular VT80. It's just a different paint job. These other people may have gotten VT80s with different dry weights. Hope that helps.

18. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    RM32 smth.

19. sxg2009

sxg2009 Regular Member

@ CanucksD: Did you play with ~ 24 lbs? How do you compare 24 vs. 27 lbs in VT 80?

20. CanucksDynasty

I used to play with 25lbs. I found the smash was there but not so much in accuracy. I went to 27lbs and found that while the sweet spot was a bit smaller, my accuracy improved. So it's a give and take. At 27lbs I did have some temporary elbow pain but that's gone now since I gotten used to the higher tension.