SuperBowl

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by staples, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..yeah, your area/Silicon Valley area has some attraction places to go to..I'm sure the roads were pretty much clear of traffic today also, were they??..Going up to S.F. area, from your home, possibly could be a breeze..Yeah, playing baddy is definitely not a bad idea y'day, esp. with a smaller crowd..:cool:
    ..ants, you're truly a global sports enthusiast! Do you follow American football closely or just the score/highlights??;) :cool:

#21 ctjcad, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well sort of.. you should check out Xiao Ting Pan of China.. she is my Idol in Billiards beside's the Black Widow. I would say she's the "Reiko" of Pool.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Giants WON!!! :D

I was swing my BBQ chicken legs in the living room like a sword / badminton racket. :p Man, the last quarter almost gave me a heart attack. :eek:

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Boston's dream of wining NFL, NL and NBA is gone. :)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry to be off topic a bit.

However, I really don't think BOS can win NBA title, at least not this year. If you consider how poorly they play when 1 of the "big three" is not healthy, or if 1 or 2 of them "cooling off", then you know what I mean. Also, the PG might be an issue, once they need to face the elites in the playoff.

Their amazing record somehow got help from the weaker eastern conference. I really wonder how they can survive from the western elites, such as Suns, Spurs (assume they recover), Mavericks, and even the new Hornets and suddenly improved Lakers. Even in the east, Detroit and a suppose to be better Cavs will give them enough headaches.

6. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Hmm I think they have a good chance of going to the Finals. One reason for that I think is they play awesome defense something most ppl didn't expect - we know they can score. And defense wins NBA championships - see Spurs. The biggest concern for the Celtics I think is if they'll wear down as playoff approaches, they're not a young team and not particularly deep either.

Back on Topic: The most enjoyable Superbowl I've seen. Thought NE had it when they made it 14-10 with just over 2 mins to play. I was going "Oh Well, at least the Giants made it interesting which is more than what the experts predicted", then to see those amazing catches and finally win it for the Giants...unbelievable! I'd given the MVP to the defensive front 4 but Manning was deserving too.

Just a sidenote in regards to badminton: Sports like NFL are popular in NA because its so TV friendly ( besides the betting part of it). My problem with badminton is it isn't very TV friendly. I think ppl who watch badminton on TV are mostly hardcore fans of the game who play the game regularly. It won't attract the casual sports fan unfortunately. :( :(

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Most people almost had a heart attack, too!!..

:p...i missed the entire final drive (fell asleep), but woke up as soon as Plaxico made the winning TD catch...:p..Wow, i can imagine the entire New York/New Jersey/Manhattan neighborhoods must've been in ecstasy when he made that catch; and then must've been in euphoria when the clock hit 00:00 (what, since it's been 17 yrs since they last won their SuperBowl) :cool:

Btw, what time is the parade in Manhattan?? Are you going to swing by to join the rest of the revelers and cheer on your team??..:) ;):cool:
    ..hmm, read the news that this yr's SuperBowl was the most watched SuperBowl EVER in the history of American football (beating last yr's SuperBowl). And it was the 2nd most watched event in the history of American television (behind Mash's final episode)..:cool:

#27 ctjcad, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

The problem is not the TV yet, but the root of the sport in NA.

In US, kids like 5 yrs old are encouraged to join mini leagues to learn football, baseball and soccer. They are formal leagues in junior HS and HS, then semi pro level in NCAA. Therefore, the kids growing up with the sport, and they can understand the sport deeply from their heart.

Most of the badminton players in NA are new immigrants, therefore, the root is very weak among the locals. Of course, things do get better a bit, as more and more young ppl (still, mostly from the immigrant families) start to participate, and the demand is sky rocked.

To me, if you don't understand a sport, you will always think it's boring. You will like it, once you gets your own hand on it, and dig out the fun from it. ;)

9. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Agreed on all points....tv is just a symptom. As has been brought up before, badminton suffers from a perception problem in NA. I won't go into that but back to the tv thing, the sport just doesn't translate well to tv compared to other racket sports. Pick tennis for example, everything from baseline shots to serves -the sport translates well to the tv viewer.

As for badminton, the subtleties of the sport are lost on the screen. Even when someone does a jumpsmash, because of the angle and the distance, much of the impact and skill displayed is lost on the screen. In fact tv makes the sport look deceptively 'easy' - everything from the speed of the shuttle to the high arching clears, penetrating clears, delicate net shots, sharp drops are somewhat lost on the screen. That's my gripe about badminton on tv for the general sports viewing audience.

I mean something's wrong when I can watch poker 24/7 on a sports channel and not even news highlights or any mention made about badminton. POKER for chrissakes!?! :S

#29 morphy, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  10. staples

staples Regular Member

Now if Toronto can get an NFL team! Well at least we will host a few Buffalo Bills games over the next few years to start off. We'll see where it goes from there. Then we can let go of the Argos!

11. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    You had to put Mavericks after the Suns & the Spurs!!! considering the Mavs have beat both those teams before in the post season!! :)
    So much is going on in the NBA these days, the Shaq trade & the Pau trade; hopefully they will fire Isiah soon & start rebuilding the Knicker-boxers again!!!!

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Okay, it's that time of the yr again...

...for all the American football fans...
    LazyBuddy, here's a toast & a good luck wish to the G-men as they prepare & start their title defense this coming weekend vs. Philly...:) >>hope i won't jinx them..:p
    *I do hope they'll return to the SB and have a chance to defend their title.:cool:
    **kwun, i know what you (and the boys) as well as Janet will be doing on SB Sunday...;)

#32 ctjcad, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  13. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    It was a frustrating year for the COWBOYS; they were 'supposed' to get to the SB this year but has failed miserably; Hope that Jerry Jones will fire Wade Philips and bring in someone who is a little more tougher!!!!
    I have lost interest in the SB this year, since Dallas is out already!!!!:crying:

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

O Romo, Romo wherefore art thou ... Cowboy!?! :rolleyes::p

Still have to watch the wildcard games so can't check who else is in the playoffs without spoiling the results :) (although I already know the AFC game outcome but not the score). Goooooo ... erm ... * to be determined *.
    NCAA football priority #1 at the moment :cool: (won't be checking this thread again untill I've watched the bcs championship game ;)).

Goooo .... Ravens! Rookie QB all the way :cool:! (no idea if the falcons are still in it but will watch that game momentarily)

#34 demolidor, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

MY Steelers will run over all before them. James Harrison was just named the AP Defensive Player of the Year and he eats quarterbacks for breakfast. Troy Polamalu... words cannot describe his genius.

16. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

Jerry Jones should fire himself first. He is turning himself into another Al Davis. Just keep on signing big name players without understand the chemistry between the players.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

:p...Dallas team had a bit too much drama, IMO..a lot of ego (yeah, we probably know who they are)...
    ..whoah, i didn't know demolidor is a football (not futbol) follower;)....Falcons are goner, lost to the surprising Cardinals. Ravens (very good defense, but not sure abt offense) got their work cut out for them this coming weekend vs. those Titans (which is quite balanced)..;)
    ..Steelers is balanced. But they have to pass either the Ravens (who also have a strong defense) or Titans before reaching the SB. I think they'll win vs. the San Diego Superchargers this coming weekend..;)

If i look at the overall stats, the top 5 defensive ranked teams are still in the Playoffs.

#37 ctjcad, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

As they say, defence wins football games, especially when it counts in the playoffs. I say the Titans, who will Albert Haynesworth back will take care of the Ravens. Steelers will roll on in their no nonsense fashion.

19. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Absolutely agree with you on that. First off, he needs a coach that can be tough enough with the players & Jerry needs to leave the coach alone to do his job instead of being on the sidelines during games trying to be coach himself....

20. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I envy Romo; Just imagine going back home to see someone like Jessica Simpson greeting you by the door and ready to give you 'goodies' you want/like. He is living a dream life & it looks like he doesnt care about football that much any more!! It is kind of ironic, since football is what gave him all these good fortunes in the first place.......