COPENHAGEN Masters 2011 (27-29 December 2011)

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 10, 2011.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I agree completely that some sort of video-replay-system should be implemented..

I do not agree even a bit that Jan O should have given the point and the match to Gade just because the linejudge (and the main referee) did an error.

With the current system you win some or loose some in this small lottery.. Personally I thought Gades smash at 9-7 in the first set was just out on the side, and was called good. Also at 7-6 in the second game Gade served and the return from J.O. looked to hit the outside of the line but was called out. The call could have been correct, but the TV producers selected not to show a rerun on that one..maybe for a reason :-D ..

I am also pretty sure that there was no bias from line Judges in Gades "own" tournament :-D

P.S. Also, Gade is an extremely sporting guy, but there is no way in h*ll he would have thrown the match to J.O if the roles where reversed .. I have seen many matches over the years with Gade where he got incorrect calls in his favour, and he has to my knowledge never requested to give the point to the opponent on those occasions.

#41 twobeer, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

OK - but the problem is cost. In the early rounds of a SS tourney there could be 6 or more courts in use at the same time. To have all the necessary cameras and tech.kit available for each would be a considerable expense, and someone has to be there at each court to do the playbacks. And where would the screens for replays be located when there are multiple courts? On the umpire's chair? Or would you have multiple "big" screens? Or do you just have the system for later rounds?

Personally I feel that the rule that the umpire can overrule the line judge can be unhelpful, and encourages the "trial by video" mentality. KT was robbed of a chance at the AE MS final 2010, but took it with good grace. PG's frustration is excusable, but his reaction is not.

smautf.

#42 Smautf, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If cost is an issue then just implement it gradually as the budget allows.. Start with MS/MD semis/finals and work from there. I think the cost could be cut down if spending money wisely, using less expensive techinque, using sponsors etc. Also I think the number of courts in use is better to minimize for the sake of the presentation of the game to spectators.

In most tournament with TV coverage the cost of those cameras seems already to be there as the replays are avaialbel for the TV-audience in many cases, it would just be an issue of giving the ref. access to those TV-feeds.

I am always extremely irritated when attending tournaments that they schedule 4-6 exciting mens-singles games AT ONCE!! Such a bad respect for audiencce who would rather enjoy each game sequentially!! But that is of course a different discussion.

I don't see why you would need extra personel.. Just 4 fixed cameras, and a digital feed to a computerprogram making instant replays possible for the main-umpire. And to stop "tactical" use of this for tired players etc. a limits can be imposed on hwi many "challenges" is allowed.

#43 twobeer, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011