Ideal Height?

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by adamc_72, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fuger

fuger New Member

not so important...

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hello, welcome to the forum;)

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I'm pushing 6'3", I haven't found it to be much a disadvantage although I'm probably a bit slow around the court. Still, if your mind is quick enough you should be able to get to any place in the court in time, height regardless.

4. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

This is interesting, sports science would say that every sport has an ideal body shape. Badminton is an odd one as it is dominated by shorter people on average but that's subject to the sports popularity in Asia.

Tall people can be just as effective or even more so if their body shape compliments the height. A tall heavy build person can't move around as easily but a tall thin to average build person can. Short people aren't always faster than tall people and tall people aren't always aerobically fitter.

I recently watched a World Championship final between Peter Rassmusan (excuse my spelling) and a chinese player (late 90s). Peter moved around the court very efficiently and by the end of the game the shorter Chinese player could hardly walk and needed medical help.

So rather than height I'd suggest body shape, fitness & footwork are more important. This is not as clear cut & dry and other sports like weight lifting or sprinting.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, it doesn't really matter if you're short or tall; the most important things are technique and fitness. With those, whatever height you are, you can be successful in badminton.

6. laonong

laonong Regular Member

That's because Sun JUN was already injured before the game.

7. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Maybe the case but it looked like cramping from de-hydration to me. His muscles just gave up. Rassmusan was awesome in that game, best court movement I've seen for a big guy and something I wish I could copy.

8. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

from my own experiences in both playing and coaching, I've found that taller players find forward/backward movement easier (takes less steps). Shorter players seem to have an advantage when it comes to quick movements to the sides (returning fast drops/half smashes in singles). As a tall person, I find the shoulder turn that is necessary for sideward movement quite difficult. Shorter players don't seem to have this problem. Shorter players also have an advantage on defence, because they can bend lower and counter-attack smashes more easily. These, however, are merely trends that I've seen, not an absolute fact.

9. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wohooo!!! Way to go, little people!!!

The world is big but lil' people turn it around
    A worm can roll a stone
    A bee can sting a bear
    A fly can fly around versailles 'cos flies don't care
    A sparrow in a hat, can make a happy home
    A flea can bite the bottom of the pope in rome

10. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    I believe that being fit is more important than height. :)

Anyway, am 5'11 here. I notice most of the top players in the world are ard 5'8 to 6"0.

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    im 6'2 aswell. TBH height doesnt mean much. If your tall you have that angle but lose speed due to more body to throw around the court. Smaller your faster but have less reach to the shuttle.

In other words. Whatever your height you have the potential to be a great badminton player. If you have the natural ability and positive mindset to progress and improve, then you will. :)

12. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Height is a huge factor in TENNIS.....because of the ability to SMash Serve over hand. Can you imagine if badminton allowed to serve the OVER-HAND:Smashed....this will put Badminton into a whole different game.

Advantage of HEIGHT:
    1) easy to drop, easy to Smashed deep w/out too much jumping, good reach wide shot & good for up close net play.
    2)Great for Double and not for single

Disadvantage:
    1) poor recover time when someone Drop on you, too much bending can cause painful back problem.
    2)Very difficult for defending smash shot toward mid-body cause your arm is to long, less reaction time to pull racket toward center.
    3) Too big of a target body shot, and just defending shot reaction is much slower than an average height person with speed.

In my opinion, It very difficult to be the World Single Player if you are above 6'2FT or taller.
    Just like the world best gymnastic: You don't see them over 6FT or else, speed & ability to react is too slow.

Height is an advantage in basketball, swimming, long-distant runner, Tenis, Volleyball,

Average height or at least 5'3FT w/ speed and ability:
    Advantage: Soccer, gymnastic, GOLF, badminton, jockey, ........

In the world of Badminton: SPEED + POWER + TECHNIQUE + EXPERIENCE = A GREAT PLAYER NO MATTER WHAT HEIGHT YOU ARE.

YOU CAN BE MUSCULAR , 6'3 ft, ABILITY TO LIFT OVER 200 LBS----->>> AN DON'T HAVE THE TECHNIQUE OR never play the game: 90% likely if someone bet you to hit the shuttlecock over the net...to at least mid-court: YOU FEEL LIKE THIS IS LIKE HITTING AIR------->>>>> AND EVEN A 8 Y/O TRAIN KID under 5ft' can Smash this bird like a sling-shot.........

13. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    There is no such thing as idea height for badminton. Whether you are tall or short, just play based on your own styles and enjoy the games. Cheers.

14. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    well, my ideal would be 7'3, where my short serves would be like smashes.

15. narnia

narnia Regular Member

As I said before, in doubles at least one of the players needs to be tall enough; but need not be positioned in the back; look at Kido and JJS but they need tall partners to block the returns from their smashes.

But in singles, height doesn't matter to be top, they can cover with great footworks; see taufic, LCW, etc. Nevertheless, height matters somewhat to be in the highest places of the rank.

:)

16. koaylt

koaylt Regular Member

Clarence Senior & sometimes unwilling sparring par
    Sorry, i do not agree. I think being taller has a distinct advantage even at the highest level. You cannot compare Taufik or LCW as they are very fine talent from a very large population. 50% of the entire Asian men population is about their height. Whereas if you want some guy taller than Bao ChunLai, it is about 1% of the Asian population. If you can find a talent like BCL, you will probably get 50 guys as talented as him in the 1.70-75m range. In statistical perspective, if Taufik/LCW is a 1: 1,000,000 talent, then BCL is one-fiftieth i.e. 1: 20,000. BCL is considered on par with LCW/Taufik. So it is because he has the physique advantage to overcome and match the superb talent of Taufik/LCW.

As an adult with ordinary skill, I can beat even the best 9 year old kid, simply by my height advantage.

XXF, Wang Yihan, Wang Lin, Zhang Ning are very tall amongst the Chinese women population. Easily within the top 5% percentile. I am certain there are natural talents from the petite category, but not given the opportunity to develop further as world class players. Therefore, being tall gives you that advantage of being selected for further grooming.

On another front, if you look at Usain Bolt, 6ft5in, 100m World Record holder and Olympic Champion, his physical advantage is so obvious.

There is no ideal height. The taller the better (except gymnastics) when everything else is the same.

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

IMO, being tall is quite advantageous.
    Coupled with good footwork in singles, you get more reach.
    In doubles, you are much more intimidating at the net.

18. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Sorry, I don't agree with you either. :)

Please check what I exactly said. To be the top-most rankers, you don't need to be tall. But tall height is advantageous only to be top-10 or 20 ranked.

One more thing to note is that tall guys are much more likely to be offended by the short and quick shots from relatively shorter guys - that's happening with LCW and Taufic who uses their height ironically tactically.

In the sense above, taller guys like BCL are more vulnerable to be attacked and hard to keep sharp control with their long arms and legs; check the videos of BCL to know this technically.

Furthermore, taller guys are more likely to be injured and once they are it would be more severe than shorter guys. Do you know BCL's on-going injury on his knee? He will soon get surgery on that. Check also the injuriy of Tine Rasmussen who is one of the tallest women in singles. If you like, check who gets the knee protection more. :)

In sum, it's not true especially in Badminton that the taller the better. There are always pros and cons. Practically, it's all up to each individual player's talent. But, as I said, in doubles, at least one of them needs to be tall. :)

#38 narnia, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  19. koaylt

koaylt Regular Member

Clarence Senior & sometimes unwilling sparring par
    In my last sentence I wrote. "The taller the better when everything else is the same".

Imagine you are only 4 feet tall and I am a six footer. You got to have the skills of Lin Dan to beat me. Whether it is a 2 foot or 2 inch difference, the advantage is still there when everything else is the same. [​IMG]

20. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Yeah... the actual height distribution of players are not like that. If it's like that, you're gonna much more fall down while moving around to defend my fast attacks even with more spaces on your body. :)