elbow pain after/during playing

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by bowi12, Jun 3, 2010.

1. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I bought a new Racket some time ago and now my elbow hurts every now and then.
    I play abour 3 hours on monday and about 2 hours on tuesday. It's starts to hurt while playing on tuesday. On monday it's fine. The pain always goes away after one or two days, but it's still really annoying.

My old racket is a Muscle Power 25. I've stringed it with bg65. The tension is 9,5kg, about 21 lbs.
    My new racket is an Arcsaber 7. It is stringed with nanogy 95. I don't know what the tension is, but the tension feels a bit lower when I press on it with my finger. It's still the factory string.

Would it be a good idea to restring the new racket with bg65 and a tension of 9,5kg instead of the nanogy 95? Would it be possible that my elbow starts to hurt a bit because of the lower factory tension?

I read in other threads that higher tension can create pain, but it's actually the racket with the lower tension that is causing the pain.

It would be nice if anyone could help me with this.

#1 bowi12, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. druss

druss Regular Member

stiffer rackets can also cause pain. do you notice whether it takes more effort to do back to back clears?

3. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    It does take a little bit more effort. Although it is easier now then it was in the beginning. I've got this racket for about half a year. In the beginning I thought I just needed to get used to it, but it is not getting better (not worse either).

#3 bowi12, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Arc 7 should not be stiff...

Have you changed your technique? Sounds like you're overextending your elbow when you strike.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

I never said the Arc7 was stiff... I said "stiffer rackets", it's all relative. If you're used to flexible rackets then a medium flex would be "stiffer" but not actually rated as "stiff".

6. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I don't think I have changed my technique, or I just don't know it :p. But I'll forus on my technique a bit more next time I play. It might be true that when I smash hard, I ruin my technique. I just try to hit it very hard when I smash. I'll ask my coach when I see him, but coaching sessions for this season have ended, so I'll have to wait for a little while.

So over extending your elbow is bad. Do you need to keep it bend during the whole stroke.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Yah, sometimes if you try to hit/smash too hard, you can overextend the elbow to the point of lock-out. That overstresses the joint and would be bad.

Normally in a shot, the elbow starts out flexed and quickly extends out to hit the bird. Just make sure the elbow is still at least slightly (maybe 5-10 degrees) bent at impact, and even on follow thru is not allowed to lock-out.

8. ngjeffrey

ngjeffrey Regular Member

IT
    Stiff racket really can cos pain in the elbow? Like Nanospeed 9900?

9. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Another thing to look out for is the change in grip size. If the grip is too small or too big, then this can cause you to hold the racket differently.

10. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I actually already tried that and unfortunately it didn't work for me. It might work for others though.

Thanks everyone for your advise. I'm gonna try some of the things and hopefully it will help.