Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

1) When your side gain the attack and get into a front & back position your cross courting the attack too much. This doesn't give your partner a chance to intercept, he needs to be confident that you will attack straight down the line or at least down the middle so his is closer to the angle of return, thus he can commit to something.
    2) The other problem with cross courting your attack is it gives the defenders the chance to defend down the line. Bearing in mind you tend to cross court from your forehand side thus leaving you backhand side wide open.
    3) Your partner's grip is always short. I think this is to help get the racket face more downward on the overhead shots by manipulation in the fingers. The problem here is that he is losing alot of power and timing, many shots flying out long. He needs to improve his footwork to get behind the shuttle more so that his contact point, with the proper grip, is more in front, this will help his consistency, power and recovery for the next shot.
    4) From a sides position if you block the shuttle to the net you should follow in racket up and force the opponents to play a risky tight net shot or lift to the rearcourt thus giving you the attack.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thank you! It's nice to know someone took their time and watched it - and even better if you can help me improve. I forwarded your comment about my partner to him, and he was very pleased to get some pointers.

Underneath the link to the only match I recorded on Friday - Mixed Doubles. Unusually, I'm not the tallest guy on court...but the one wearing black. And yellow shoes :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0cHqiX2a3M
    For a little amusement, pay attention to the rally at 3:45. ;)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

jackie, coachgary already has some very good points. In addition, I'd like to challenge you and your partner to concentrate on improving the first 3 shots, ie the serve, receive, and counter. .......When you serve , you tend to hunch down your head and neck. Don't do that as you're negating your height advantage. Your serve reception can be more aggressive if you crouch lower in preparation. Don't be flat footed; split step the moment you hear or see the serve and if you judge it's a short serve, quickly pounce up towards net with your racket in front of you. Challenge yourself to take the bird before it falls too much below the tape. Your best replies to a good serve would be a tap to mid alleys just past the server or if the serve is too tight, just net it over. If it's above tape height, just tap it back straight at the server or his partner anticipating a poor reply. The 3rd shot you always have to think ahead and anticipate your opponent's replies. Cover the most obvious and dangerous first. And you should also do the same anticipating of where to place your next shot instead of reacting last second. Ie play more proactively. .....You can easily practice the serve and receive with your partner. This simple training will easily improve your play significantly. :)

#1144 visor, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks, I'll work on that. I recently noticed that my movement when receiving serve is not what it should be - I'm trying to improve that.
    I'll try and let my partner in the vid (who I normally dont play with, he's in another club) know.
    The reason I tend to hunch down after serve is that several guys in my club complained they dont see anything when I serve. Although in my opinion they should find a way to look past me without me crouching, they just cant do that and it results in very weak third shots.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it :)

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I dont see a problem with crouching down after you serve as ur tall like me. I get asked to do the same. Jus make sure ur racket it up thou!! So anything that comes back u can bury!!

Do it like you wud do as front players in attack. Low wide stance, with racket up high ready to kill ;)

#1146 gingerphil79, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Aaaand yet another MD game. 2nd game of the match (we usually played just one game matches that weekend). I think they tried to keep me in the back court (at least they when they discussed their tactics one of them pointed to me repeatedly) - didn't work out so well :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSn0pb4GK-8

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Hi, a much better game! Glad to see you weren't cross courting ther drops and smashes too much. Did you feel as the front attacker that you could commit to something with more confidence knowin g that you were nearer the angle of reply? It certainly looked that way anyway. Your opponents didn't change their tactics, they just kept lifting away which made your attack even better. The next test for you then is coping with a defending pair that drive your smashes back at speed, straight and cross court. The other thing they didn't do very well was to push the shuttle into the mid court sidelines. Again this will make it a little more testing in gaining the attack within 3-4 shots.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks, I played much better with him than with the others you saw me playing with. I had confidence in his ability to cover the back court, so I committed to it when I came forward. He also had no trouble covering the net, which made me confident enough to attack much and either straight or down the middle. I did not have that confidence with my other partner and felt like I had to score direct points from the back - which, as I realize now, made it even harder for him to cover the possible replies.

Here's another game, Mixed Doubles this time.....only one more match I recorded, and I haven't compiled/uploaded it yet. Enjoy.

Oh, before I forget - none of these are regular pairings. The girls are in the same club, but I never train there, and the other guy is British :D So advice on how to improve the partnership would be redundant^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI-5o7AxLeo

#1149 j4ckie, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Wow I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way lol, I burst out laughing at 7:28 during your mixed doubles match =p. I know you tried your hardest to get the shuttle but something about the way you fell, your yelp, and your exit off the camera screen just seemed comical =p. That and of course your partner's reaction to it too haha. Otherwise I love seeing you play j4ckie, keep recording! It's very entertaining.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Jackie: not much to comment on as you and your partner were outmatched by your opponents, the man who is fast and accurate and practically never lifted, and the lady who is a bit better than your partner. Who happened to lift way too often and never was able to control the net and forecourt to any degree.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No worries, I found it quite amusing as well. When I charged into the corner, I didn't have high hopes to get that shuttle back - but at matchpoint, you really try your hardest :D
    Anyway, I'll try my best and keep entertaining you ;)

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Spot on. You should see how he controlled me in singles...it was a bit embarassing for me because I had actually hoped to beat him this year. But at least he had to actually work this time :D

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    just curious, what did you use on that mixed double? an MX80?

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, I used mainly the MX80 that weekend. A BS10 in one MD and one MS match, if I remember correctly....in competition, I alternate between the BS and MX. If used correctly, the BS can be a tad more powerful and easier to use, but the MX just feels superbly accurate...

16. Capo_Asif

Capo_Asif Regular Member

Administrator
  17. Capo_Asif

Capo_Asif Regular Member

Administrator
    uploading a video after a long break....me playing a doubles game, a regular game, so not that competitive, also a lot of missed shots...i'm the guy with 'nike' on the back. wud welcome any suggestion u may have...tq

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ZIBAJAQD

18. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Men's Singles

Hey guys, this is my first time uploading videos of myself playing. I'm wearing black and red shirt. Have put on some weight since my schooldays so my movement around the court is a bit lazy and sloppy. Haha.. Feel free to comment.. sorry about the not-up-to-par quality as it's recorded from my handphone.

[video=youtube;xkJirYqvx-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkJirYqvx-0[/video]

19. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
  20. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    @Chip167

You have a really good and consistent low serve! That's crucial for doubles. I wish I could get mine as consistent, nowadays I'm hitting the net a little more than I'd like because I think I'm trying to make the serve too good.

Other than that, the big thing I would say is probably the 3rd or 4th shot of the rally when you're serving is probably the weakest point. Most often you can't keep the attack because either you or your partner cannot make a threatening enough shot. That could also mean that your opponents have very good return of serves though. This has probably more to do with footwork and anticipation. Your partner missed a lot of shots at the net too, so that's more for him to work on rather than you. I think you set your partner up a good amount of times with your smash, so that part is out of your control except to smash so hard and placed so accurately that it's not coming back =p.