Canadian Open GP 2011

Discussion in 'Russian / US / Canadian / Vietnam Open 2011' started by madbad, Apr 11, 2011.

1. drquick

drquick Regular Member

Doctor
    Nice poster.. all the best for the bad fans in Canada :)

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Anyone know if there's going to be live streaming this year like they did last?

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Looking at the poster, TH become the one and only bdm star here :D

4. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

$35 + 12% = $39.2 that is really a total turn-off disregard what a beautiful city in the world, still 17 degree in a summer day. It is a rip-off last year was only $25. If Taufit and Pi Honyin are not in the final I don't see any point to go there anyway.

5. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Why isn't there any livescore? [​IMG]

6. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    TS earlier showed Phyllis Chan 21-6 21-9 Sayaka Takahashi. Left me wondering for a long time as to what might have gone wrong, LOL

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  8. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
  9. bigying

bigying Regular Member

ERP Consultant
  10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Just got back from watching a few of the qualifying matches. Nothing particularly riveting but came away rather impressed with the play of Nozomi Okuhara. As expected a bunch of Canadians bit the dust, but some not without a fight. Jon Vandervet/Melody Liang pushed Li Gen/Yu Luo all the way and it required Li Gen to save 4 of Vendervet's point blank net kills to clinch the winning point 21-19.

No camera today so just my iphone and a couple of pics. Please excuse the poor quality. :)

Had a chat with Kanako Yonekura (her English is pretty good) on everything from the players ("A" team sent to the US Open, "B" team sent to the Canadian Open) to coaching to Japan winning the Women's World Cup. She said all of Japan was happy. What a modest, nice and unassuming person. And she is prettier in person too :)

Attached Files:

#30 madbad, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kanako!!!!!

i had a pic with her too. such a sweet lady. when i asked her to take a picture, she says, "me?" like she is not famous enough. i think she is very much famous enough.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Oh man, totally agree. Like I said, totally unassuming.

After watching Li Gen play, I don't think he can make it to the next level. Way too casual and seems to take too many chances. I was quite impressed with Li Gen's hair though :p

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Welcome to Canada, tax to death....:D

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

At least in Alberta you don't have PST.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If you say Vancouver is a beautiful city, weather suitable for Asians who don't mind the rain, close to USA, excellent chinese food especially in Richmond and seafood, mingle around in Vancouver and you think you are in HK, and most importantly, you have lots of $$$ or your daddy has tons and leaving it to you, then I agree Vancouver is the place to be in Canada.
    Quality of life to average Joe 6-pack and working stiff like my family or myself starting from nothing, would require us to work a lifetime and possibly still not paying off our mortgage, then comes home renovation, tax and more tax (HST), stress out at work only to barely make ends meet and figuring out how to send my kids to college, I don't think the quality of life is that good. Life is really too short.
    I was in Vancouver in 1989-1990 on contract assignment, I wish I had stayed then when housing is affordable, about 50% more than Calgary. Today, Vancouver average house is >2X Calgary. A recent article in Calgary newspaper cited income in Calgary and Toronto is 15-20% more than Vancouver, so now with average house costing C$1M each in Vancouver, that would be real stress for a lot of people. And also, Vancouver in on the earthquake grid, who knows when or if? In 1989 I was told very few high rise buildings are designed to withstand earthquake. Today, 22 years later, how many buildings are designed so, especially when in downtown, the buildings are so close together;)

16. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

saw the spanish team practicing at clear one tonight, their MS Pablo Aiban was just playing around, but did see a pretty impressive backhand smash...

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i don't know whether he realizes it or not or just plain doesn't care about his play but i've been seeing that from him @ last yr's WJC in Mexico and nothing really has changed from him..
    But yeah, i concur, his hairdo probably has gotten a bit stylish (i thought yours would come close to looking like his~from the pic:cool:)...and if he gets eliminated early, wait til you see him pull out his disco/boxing shoes and attires~should be more fun for him & his younger teammates in Van-town than in O.C./L.A...:cool:

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if your dad is the emperor. and if the emperor says he gets into 1st team and no one dare to object, then where's the motivation of working hard?

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ergo, nepotism in motion? :D

20. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Yes, the property prices in Vancouver has risen more than tenfold since the eighties.
    The views from those Coal Harbour condos are so nice [​IMG].
    It is indeed perplexing that they, despite the need to curb urban sprawl, have clustered so many highrises together when nearby Vancouver Island has a history of frequent strong earthquakes. It will be a nightmare for rescue personnel if one is to hit the city itself