Yonex ArcSaber 10 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I have a question regarding the Arc's maximum tension. According to Yonex the maximum recommended tension for an arc 10 is 24lbs. Yet, I notice that a lot of guys on this forum like to string there Arc 10s much higher than 24lbs; some as high as 30lbs. My question is, if the Arc 10 (or any high-end Yonex) can easily handle 28lbs and above why do Yonex still on insist on understating their max tensions? I already have an Arc 10 (UK) and my usual tension is a tame 23lbs so it doesn't really affect me. I'm just curious. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I can't be bothered reading 83 pages worth of comments.

#1421 allyjack110, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think it has to do with Yonex warranty (1-year) on the racket. They recommend max 24lbs. Any higher tension will void the warranty if the racket breaks upon stringing.

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Bros : Does any bros here have any review of ARC10PG Peter gade racket. Wonder how is this racket performance ?

Thought of buying it , and wonder can it string to 28 tension ?

4. allyjack110

I suspected so. My rackets, including my ARC are strung at no higher than 23lbs so it doesn't really affect me too much. Anything higher than 23 and I would probably be struggling. One of the coaches at my current club, who was part of the Scotland set-up in her younger days, currently plays at 24lbs.

5. allyjack110

How robust is the Arcsaber 10? In other words, can it withstand a 'clash' now and again? I haven't experienced a clash with either yet which is why I'm asking despite already owning two - sorry! My usual tension is 23 lbs but recently upgraded to 24lbs (I'm living dangerously now). The maximum recommended tension for the Arc 10 is 24lbs. Both of mine are UK 3U/G3. I know a lot of guys on this forum string a lot higher than 24lbs. I'm just wondering if the Arc 10 can withstand 24lbs without me needing to worry about the added stress the frame. I bought my first one two months ago and the second one last week. Absolutely love them both. They feel incredibly well-made and solid bits of engineering. However, the frame where the CS Carban Nanotube has been added looks significantly thinner compared to my other rackets. Any comments from other Arc 10 users would be appreciated.

Thank you

#1425 allyjack110, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  6. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Don't EVEN THINK ABOUT clashing your racquet. Even if you are strung at 18lbs within your "maximum warranted tension" of 24lbs, a clash CAN STILL KILL YOUR RACQUET if you are unlucky and NO RACQUET MANUFACTURER will replace your racquet for you even if it is still within the warranty period. It is easy to tell if it a racquet broke from a clash so Yonex WILL NOT HAVE MERCY on you.

The meaning of "in case the racquet breaks during stringing at the warranted stringing tensions" has NOTHING TO DO WITH ACTUAL PLAY ESPECIALLY CLASHES. The Yonex warranty will only allow you to claim if your stringer AND NOT YOU break the racquet during stringing at the "recommended" (more like Yonex's warranted tensions which has NOTHING TO DO WITH PLAYABILITY). Technically speaking with the technology Yonex has on the Arc10, you can very well string it up to 36lbs and NOT BREAK IT provided that your stringing technique is good enough and your stringing machine is also good. EVEN AT 36lbs (which is WAY OUT OF THE "RECOMMENDED tension" in your language) the Arc10 can still be played with normally.

Personally I have done my Arc10 at 31lbs when it was brand new and it is at least 6 months old now, still strung. I have used it to play doubles and now mostly singles only. Due to my technique my racquet is still looking brand new with no marks of damage at all. What does this tell you?

7. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

It seems that no one but me has been replying to such questions with scientific logic lately. And yet with my explanation in the other thread no one is bothering to read it (typical of new BCers don't everyone think).

If no one has any objections on my point, is it possible if my explanation in the other post (which I am pretty much paraphrasing in every other thread where a new one repeats the same question in a different way) be stickied and be a point of reference?

Advanced thanks to the admin and mods.

8. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Is the Arcsaber 10 playable for an intermediate player?
    I know I have to improve my smash move, otherwise I actually have a racket which is really really not powerful and not that stiff I'd like to have.
    It's a Yonex Carbonex (ix?) 14, blue.

9. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Just a color difference. It doesn't means having a PG name on it will makes the racket extra powerful. It's down to personal preference of the color. Like I like white racket as compared to red, I'll go for PG than the normal arc 10.

10. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

Anyone would like to share the weight of his 3U Arc10 or 2U Arc10?

11. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Hi guys

I just wanted to share my minds to this and other rackets:D
    Its just a renewed posting (from the voltric 80 thread):

Arcsaber 10 (3UG4) is neither head heavy nor grip heavy. So it's well balanced. The first impression was absolutely nothing special. It felt like a "normal" racket like any others and it is NOT a light racket (3U).
    It was strunged with Ashaway ??? strings. All except the drives were easy to play. In my opinion the Arcsaber 10 isnt that "fast" because of his "heavyness" and balance point. That's the only negative point I have to mention about Arcsaber 10. It is NOT the best racket for double's! But its a GREAT allround racket.

In comparison with...

Voltric 80 (4U, original string, BG68TI): Arc10 is easier to play (especially all the backhand moves), because VT80 is head heavy; But the Arc10 feels heavier in the hand; VT80 is significantly better in smashes;
    Nanospeed 8000: Arc10 >>>>> NS8000; NS8000 felt like a low range racket - in MY opinion; It totally didnt match to me that's why its unplayed since weeks
    Nanospeed 7700: NS7700 (from my colleague) feels very quick and still generates enough power for smashes; It is a completely another racket than the Arc10; Arc10 feels almost heavy in comparison with it. Arc10 generate logically more power in smashes
    Nanospeed 9900 (original string): THE ultimate double or defensive racket. No wonder why there are a lot players who loves this racket. I would love it too. Its model number (9900) matches to its performance. It feels extremely light (cause of its grip heavyness), quick and controllable. But it lacks in generating power for smashes. That means it needs more effort for a good smash. It would be my second choice. In the other hands: I believe that this racket wouldnt improve my techniques because of its "simpleness". It's too easy to play with it:rolleyes: That's why Arc10 is the better choice -> It's more demanding (have to be more precise) and its much more powerful in smashes.
    Li Ning N90-2 (Woods, original string): I played it once and it really doesnt match to me 'cause of its heaviness and head heaviness. Absolutely not that easy to play. But well, its known for its head heaviness :)

To sum up: I've found MY racket. It will be Arcsaber 10 (Peter Gade Edition :D)

I could imagine to get a Voltric80 in the next 6 - 12 months; I would recommend all to test the Voltric80. It's a really amazing and fast racket (first impression was: wow!!!). The only reason why I'm getting the Arc10 and not the VT80 is:
    I'm just an amateur player, no tournaments, no membership in a badminton club. I just play with 1 - 2 friend(s) (amateur level like me) twice a week. That means I believe that I'm not good enough to handle the VT80 and I still have to improve a lot my techniques (they're still not clear and smooth as it has to be)

If I'd had too much money left I would go for these rackets:

Doubles: Nanospeed 7700 / Nanospeed 9900
    Allround: Arcsaber 10 (3U)
    Offensive: Voltric 80 (4U)

I hope this posting will help some players here (especially the amateur players) :)

BTW: Sorry for my english. If there are any mistakes, just feel free to comment /correct my mistakes

12. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    I'd say you do have to have a solid technique to wield it to its potential. It is not nearly as forgiving as more beginner/intermediate 'tuned' rackets. But to my mind it's still more forgiving then my AT900 T.

13. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    Not true. There are a lot of veteran (former) top level players who can give a lot of younger guys a run for their money or still beat them. Technique and experience make the difference in those situations.

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Well, thanks for answering, but look at one post above yours :D
    Nevermind ;)

I'm still happy that Arcsaber10 PG was my very first high end racket when beginning with some serious badminton :)
    It's still a good racket. It's an allround racket. Just a stiffer one. But always easy to handle - in my opinion.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

FYI, ARC10 Premium is coming to the shop near you. I can tell you this. It is better than the regular ARC10.

16. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

So tell me WHAT is better than the regular Arcsaber10?
    I can't imagine that the specs will change, so you can't tell us it's "better".

If there are really any changes for the new Premium-Edition, let me know (with sources):rolleyes:

17. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I prefer the Arc10 Premium to be slightly faster racket as compared to the original Arc 10 while maintaining around the same head heaviness as well as shaft stiffness.

18. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Fine, please give us your sources for this speculation:rolleyes:

19. Bluebloa

Bluebloa Regular Member

Lawyer
    I need the source too!

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    There are no sources, it is just my preference..
    Since silentheart pointed out that it is better than the original Arc 10, i just prefer it to my liking.