New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

First off, avoid hard feeling strings like bg80 on extra stiff rackets like mx80! :)

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

lol :d

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Like visor said, other than the racket, only the string plays a part in feedback - so softer feeling strings and lower tensions help with elbow/wrist/shoulder issues that don't go away after a few weeks of adapting to the racket. Examples of soft feeling string would be BG68Ti, BG65, NBG95, BG66UM, BG66sharp, BG66 (in that order). Perhaps 1lbs less will be okay? That would help a great deal as well - I changed the old NBG98 on my BS09 (25-26lbs remaining) to a 27 BG80 when it broke, and it feels like a whole new racket. Much harder, which is a bad thing for a change because I had just gotten used to the soft, easy feeling and the effortless clears behind the body :D

4. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    That's a bit unfair! Although somewhat true haha! Honestly, if you're struggling with BG80 @ 26lbs (a tension and string that's great on the BS11, btw), try VS850 or ZM67 @ 23x24lbs. Et Viola - your net game and backhand will return as normal.

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So I brought out the MX80 tonight, first time I've used it in a while but adjusted no problem.

The thing is, I played doubles with it, and although it feels good using it, I just don't seem to play as well as I do with the SW35, don't get me wrong I love the racket, just something about it that tells me that it is hurting my game when I'm using it and costing me points.

Need to figure out what it is, cause the control and accuracy as well as speed is there for sure, but just something missing...

6. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I hope the bg80@26lbs will work well for my game :) If net play and drop shot freedback is worse then it will be wrong choice of tension and i will have to go for a lower value anyway. From what I read here, nobody likes the mx with lower tensions but its unclear whether higher tension and harder string means more or less feedback. I will see that when I play next :)

7. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

meteor,
    I always think finding the right string/tension + right flex of racket for you is important to reduce the chances of the arm pain. (from your description, may be it is related to tennis elbow?)

And the right balance racket for shoulder pain. Remember badminton is a life long sport, you don;t want to overdo it and completely injure yourself.

Have you ever tried a medium or medium-stiff flex racket? It is just that the three rackets you have are all quite stiff.

8. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    It's just fine at 23-24lbs!
    Take a wild guess.

9. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Absolutely right. If my pain persists or get worse I will definitely be looking to change racket/tension.
    I have used medium stiff wilsons and carltons - very nice but I always wanted more power.
    I am stiil contemplating buying one of the bs and selling the voltric or the ZS. BS12 is medium stiff, even balance and has a fast swing.

I got arm pain ever only with VT80 - 3u and the mx but it's too early to say about the mx because I just changed the balance point after the previous session and restrung.

10. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Higher tension - more repulsion - less time the shuttle spends on the string bed - less feedback? :)

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No. Higher tension = harder impact. The softer the string and racket get, the 'duller' the feedback....pretty commonly known fact. Actually the reason why pros string so hard - they do it for control, not power (in most cases).

12. visor

visor Regular Member

There's a lot of confusion re string and stringing, feel, power, control. If anyone wants to understand better, I found this site from the makers of Zymax to be extremely informative.

http://www.ashawayusa.com/BadmintonTips.php

#1812 visor, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  13. matsu_des

matsu_des Regular Member

Student
    That's true, I read somewhere that the optimum tension for power is around 24lbs (when they do smashing tests, they will use this tension). Pro's only string higher for control and also because their technique is good enough to retain that power by hitting the sweet spot consistently. Amateurs and intermediate players may find that they have no benefits going higher than 24-26lbs.

14. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Thanks for the explanations j4ckie, matsu_des, ssgg007 - Visor thanks for the link - great stuff!

If MX80 was my main racket I am considering the BS10 or BS12 as the second choice.
    The medium flex BS12 with softer strings could be an easier light racket to use sometimes instead of the mx.
    My previous readings made me believe that the BS10 is a pretty unique and awesome racket and I would have bought it if I didnt came across the MX80 and how similar is to the BS10 except better.

In the UK the BS10 and 12 are quite cheap so I am tempted to sell my yonexes to get one of these.
    Having said that, I love playing with the Z slash (swing is amazing) but I lose points due to persistent inconsistency.
    I always thought of the BS10 as a Zslash minus the problems.

My ideea is to marry the MX with a racket that is quite similar - from the same family - same fast swing and all that... so when I change it doesnt feel alien but easier - lighter head and maybe more effortless.

Any ideas based on your experiences? Cheers!

15. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied

I don't know where you get your information from, but the MX80 is not 'better' than the BS10. Performance-wise having owned a few of them I put them on par. The BS10 is the classic in the Victor range.

No no no no no. The Carlton Vapour Trail Tour is the Z-Slash minus the problems. The BS10 is not like either of them.

I tried that with the MX70 but didn't feel there was enough difference to warrant it. In fact, I'm completely over the idea of having a 'rainy day' racket now because I think it's a band-aid - your go-to racket shouldn't be that demanding that you're looking for another racket.

I know a lot of people subscribe to this notion, but I'm over it. :D Now I just have rackets to suit my mood. :cool:

16. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Its tough to get objective info on badminton rackets. You read about peoples experiences and personal reviews, filter the information and then believe what you want to believe :)
    Reading through more than half of this thread, got the impression that it is positively compared to the BS10.

Fair enough. I hope the mx80 will become my main go-to racket. I've put the ZS on e-bay and ordered BS10 from Centralsports.

17. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

18. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I have read the review, sounds promising. In what way different? Balance, weight?
    I know the G3 grip size is more like G4 - same as on the MX80 I have.

19. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

20. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

meteor,

i suggest trying the mx70. i had shoulder pain when i used mx80. bought the mx70, shoulder pain gone. same strings, same tension.

Depending on your swing and style, mx70 may give a harder smash. i experienced similar smash power using both racquets. main difference is that the shoulder pain is gone. the feel is also slightly different, a bit more muted compared to the mx80. guess i was feeling that the mx80 had a bit more sharp/accurate feel.